Angkor Wat???

doch18

Are there any cruise lines that run even close to Angkor Wat? I'm a teacher, so I only have the end of May, June and July to cruise. Even as close as Thailand would be helpful, as I'd just add on to my trip. Are there even cruises in Southeast Asia at that time of year?

Star cruise leave from Singapore doing the Southeast Asia area out of Singapore and Hong Kong, The Superstar Virgo is a beautiful ship, I have travelled on it along the coast of Western Asutralia when it came here when sars was an issue in Asia. It does cruise as far as Hong Kong including Vietnam & possibly Cambodia with varied itineries. RCL ar doing a short cruising season in Asia next year, not sure of the dates.

JMHO-forget the cruise. Get on a plane and fly to Bangkok. Easy to get to Angkor from Bangkok (Bangkok Airways). Being a teacher, you will want to explore more than a lot of tourists.

The Superstar cruises are the only ones I know of that get even close to Thailand during your time frame. There is only one cruise that would work and that is a 21 nighter (Asian Odyssey). The itinerary spends two nights in Bangkok, which would still mean getting on a plane to get to Angkor. And air from the US to Singapore is almost twice as expensive as air to Bangkok.

From Bangkok, you can get into Vietnam/China/Cambodia if of interest. There are frequently specials to Bangkok for air. And check out any ethnic community (Vietnamese, Chinese especially) in the USA-there are always travel agents who have cheap air tickets to their countries.

If you choose to do a land trip Cambodia is very accessable from Vietnam, particularly Saigon. You can travel by road or Vietnam airlines have regular flights to bordering countries. Another discount airline is Tiger Airways, althought their base is Singapore. I am also aware of a river cruise on the Mekong from Saigon to Ankar Wat. Check out http://www.rivercruisetours.com/asia/mekongriver.htm Might be useful information. I did a trip on the Mekong with my kids (overnight from Saigon with a night in a basic hotel ) and it was awesome. It was extremely cheap.

We did SE Asia last July and August on Princess. They had a Bangkok to Beijing run on board the Pacific Princess. You might check on line to see if they've opened up that segment for next summer.

While GreatAM is right, there are lots of things to explore, we were a little nervous about going into the region the first time, mostly due to langauge constraints and a general unfamiliarity. Now that we've done the cruise, we will be going back on our own. Thailand was insanely easy to negotiate and they really seem anxious to help and accomodate tourists. We also found the same type of warm generousity with the other Asian people of that area, but the Thai people really were great.

Charlie

If you choose to do a land trip Cambodia is very accessable from Vietnam, particularly Saigon. You can travel by road or Vietnam airlines have regular flights to bordering countries. Another discount airline is Tiger Airways, althought their base is Singapore. I am also aware of a river cruise on the Mekong from Saigon to Ankar Wat. Check out http://www.rivercruisetours.com/asia/mekongriver.htm Might be useful information. I did a trip on the Mekong with my kids (overnight from Saigon with a night in a basic hotel ) and it was awesome. It was extremely cheap.

What the heck!!! Did we follow each other around in Vietnam??? My first trip was October 2005. I have since been back to China/Vietnam/Cambodia 6 more times.

I chartered a boat from Saigon all the way to Siem Reap. One night in Can Tho, one night on Chau Doc, three nights in Phnom Phen, then on to Angkor.

It was not cheap (at least not in Vietnamese terms). But I really saw what I wanted to see. I could have cut the cost considerably by staying in less 'luxe hotels. And there were boats leaving from My Tho that were cheaper. But I wanted to leave from Saigon. I actually recouped some of the charter ($700 for the entire boat for the entire trip) in Can Tho. The Victoria hotels have their own boats. But they were full going on to Phnom Phen. So I was able to "rent" some of my space to those tourists.

Only thing I really hated on the trip-the arrival into Siem Reap. A total zoo, a total dump, with people grabbing your luggage, trying to get you to go to their hotel.

I had arranged transport to my hotel. Just trying to get to the driver was kind of spooky. One guy (that I had no connection to) had one of my suitcases. He wasn't going to give it back unless I went with him to HIS hotel. My driver finally intervened and there were a few more tense moments.

All in all a fantastic voyage up the Mekong. I am totally enthralled with Vietnam/Cambodia. Thailand is just OK and you can keep China-such pollution, such corruption. The corruption makes Mexico look like a saintly country.

Angkor Wat and its surrounding area including Bayon are better explored by taking a few days. Some people do it in a day, but everything will be a blur. I "chartered" a motorcycle driver for three days when I arrived at the Siem Reap airport, and I think it cost me like $5 a day. The "driver" took me all over the area, including the amazing Banteay Srey about 40 km outside of Siem Reap.

If you have the extra time, the cheapest and funnest way to get to Siem Reap is the land route from Bangkok. Take a government bus (not a private one) from Bangkok to Aryanya Prathet. Take a tuk-tuk to the border from there, and walk across to Poipet, Cambodia. From there get on a shared taxi to Siem Reap (or to Sisophon and transfer there to Siem Reap). When I did it (I went from Siem Reap to Bangkok, by the way), the total cost was about US $20. Yes, that was the grand total. The whole trip took about 9 hours.

Angkor Wat and its surrounding area including Bayon are better explored by taking a few days. Some people do it in a day, but everything will be a blur. I "chartered" a motorcycle driver for three days when I arrived at the Siem Reap airport, and I think it cost me like $5 a day. The "driver" took me all over the area, including the amazing Banteay Srey about 40 km outside of Siem Reap.

If you have the extra time, the cheapest and funnest way to get to Siem Reap is the land route from Bangkok. Take a government bus (not a private one) from Bangkok to Aryanya Prathet. Take a tuk-tuk to the border from there, and walk across to Poipet, Cambodia. From there get on a shared taxi to Siem Reap (or to Sisophon and transfer there to Siem Reap). When I did it (I went from Siem Reap to Bangkok, by the way), the total cost was about US $20. Yes, that was the grand total. The whole trip took about 9 hours.

The overland trip into/out of Cambodia is not for your average cruise traveler. I have done it and had a ball. But most cruisers would NOT put up with the long journey, trying to negotiate the myriad of tuk-tuk drivers and taxis at the border. A lot of seniors would just be plain scared at the confusion and disorganization. Most are NOT that adventurous. One big reason I recommended Bangkok Airways-pretty cheap in the scheme of things, nice planes, not nearly as time consuming, nice airport in Siem Reap and pretty darn easy for a border crossing in a third world country.

Some of the best experiences in life come with a little discomfort. It's all part of the adventure!!!!

The overland trip into/out of Cambodia is not for your average cruise traveler. I have done it and had a ball. But most cruisers would NOT put up with the long journey, trying to negotiate the myriad of tuk-tuk drivers and taxis at the border. A lot of seniors would just be plain scared at the confusion and disorganization. Most are NOT that adventurous. One big reason I recommended Bangkok Airways-pretty cheap in the scheme of things, nice planes, not nearly as time consuming, nice airport in Siem Reap and pretty darn easy for a border crossing in a third world country.

Some of the best experiences in life come with a little discomfort. It's all part of the adventure!!!!

Now, don't underestimate the seniors! :p

No question, the land route is not a comfort trip. Bangkok Airways' service from Bangkok to Siem Reap is indeed very nice, with its crispy clean 717s.

Another way of doing it, which is semi-adventurous but not as much as the straight land route, is to fly to Phnom Penh (a lot cheaper airfare) and take a fast boat from there to Siem Reap. That way you save, get to see Phnom Penh, see the country from the water, and arrive relatively comfortably in Siem Reap.

Siem Reap/Angkor Wat is indeed a fascinating place to visit. We went in mid-November--and although it was dry, it was HOT, HOT, HOT (maybe because I am from the Northeast, it just made me that much more uncomfortable). I can't imagine going to the area in May, June or July. While the average temperature is just slightly higher, the humidity will be (should be) a killer--its rainy season. Combine that heat with some humidity and you truly would have to be a trooper--or have great night vision to see most of the sites.

P.S. I'm no senior (yet) but you could not pay me to take the trip by land from Bangkok! I like adventure as well as the next guy; but the horror stories I have read on the bus are just too incredible for me to even think about the overland haul. Nope, I won't do it!

I travelled in Vietnam last year in July with kids and although it was hot and humid it was not unbearable, I have my standard rules for travel in hot & humid countries, sight see in the morning have a shower and a rest in the early afternoon and go out again in the late afternoon. The heat certainly didn't keep us for doing what we wanted. Here in Australia it's hat, sunscreen, long sleeved shirts and water, water water.

I met many backpackers who were doing long trips from Thailand to Vietnam & Cambodia overland and none of them had horror stories. I actually felt a bit envious when I left them in Can Tho to retun to Saigon while they were continuing on to Cambodia. It all gets down to what expectations the individual has of a holiday in Asia.

I travelled in Vietnam last year in July with kids and although it was hot and humid it was not unbearable, I have my standard rules for travel in hot & humid countries, sight see in the morning have a shower and a rest in the early afternoon and go out again in the late afternoon. The heat certainly didn't keep us for doing what we wanted. Here in Australia it's hat, sunscreen, long sleeved shirts and water, water water.

I met many backpackers who were doing long trips from Thailand to Vietnam & Cambodia overland and none of them had horror stories. I actually felt a bit envious when I left them in Can Tho to retun to Saigon while they were continuing on to Cambodia. It all gets down to what expectations the individual has of a holiday in Asia.

From Can Tho, the trip to Cambodia is generally by water. There is the "party" boat (backpacker heaven), the mid range boats and the Victoria boats (luxe but expensive). The dock in Phnom Phen is fine.

The dock in Siem Reap is an absolute zoo. NOT for any but sure footed, quick moving people. And don't take too much luggage. There really isn't a "dock" area per se-just a wide spot on the bank of the river. It appears that everyone from town shows up on the dock to either sell you something, try to entice you to try "their hotel" or book a tour with them. The boat pilots TRY to establish some kind of order, but as I posted before, people were just swarming all over my chartered boat (and the party boat that arrived about the same time) and one guy got my suitcase. He was not about to give it up unless I went with him to HIS hotel. I would have been s**** if I had not had a hotel arranged car and driver waiting for me. I would have gone to HIS hotel, whether I wanted to or not.

The overland trip from Saigon to Phnom Phen/Siem Reap is OK (I was very bored). Nice buses, the border crossing is easy.

However, the overland trip from Bangkok to Siem Reap can be VERY intimidating. I have done it and had a ball. BUT I knew exactly what to expect-the hustles and cons that are perpetuated on tourists of all ages (the backpackers probably get ripped the most, especially on the Cambodia visa's).

And the sheer disorganization, with everyone pulling on your sleeve, trying to get you to hire their tuk-tuk, taxi, tour, etc.

Still ended up paying an extra $5.00 for a Cambodian visa at both Chau Doc and Poipet. But I was more than willing to pay the extra $5.00 rather than stand in line, arguing what the REAL price of a Cambodian visa is.

Archived