Shopping in Grenada?

LindaMae

We are going to be on the Crown in November in Grenada. Would like to do Mandoo's trip, but are uncertain about seeing the town and doing some shopping. Is a short time better for a tour. What is in the cruise terminal? Are there some shopping areas? I know this island is famous for spices too.

Any advise would be appreciated:) Thank you in in advance.

LindaMae

We have not yet been to Grenada...will be there on November 1st, but here is some information I have already gathered. We are booked with Mandoo - he is VERY accomodating and will email you quickly. Explain to him how long you will "be in town", and ask him what he recommends given your time frame. Maybe he can take you to one or two sights, leaving you time to shop. I found two places (check them out online) that seem interesting ...don't know what you like when you say "shopping". I am not a T-shirt, trinket kind of girl. I want authentic things, native to the place I am visiting - handmade, crafts, etc. Market Square seems like a hopping place, especially on Saturday mornings. There is also a shop called Arawak Islands, LTD located on Upper Belmont Road. Again, you can read up on these two places online to see if they is your cup of tea. Good luck! :)

Merv1-Thank you for your response. We will be doing Mandoo as he seems like a very knowledgeable person. Our ship the Crown Princess will be in port on Tuesday so the Saturday think will not work. Do you have a website for the Arawak Island, Ltd? I also like things native to places we are visiting. How long will you be in port? We only have 6 hours.

Thank you so much for your help!!:)

There may still be something going on at the market on Tuesday...I'm not sure, just know that the more "hopping" time is on Saturday. As far as Arawak Islands, LTD -- you can Google it - I'm not sure of the exact website. :)

• 1 month later...

I know Grenada is famous for spices. What kind ... and what would be a very good price as compared to U.S.? I'm not a cook at all but have a good friend who is and would like to get her a present of one or two - depending on cost. And, where would be the best place to buy them ... plus is it close to the pier?

Thanks for any help.

CruzNut7 -Sorry I am so late at responding back to you. They have cinnamon and nutmeg. There are a couple of others as well. We are going out on the Crown the end of November, and I thought they would make good Christmas presents. We are doing Mandoo's tour. I have no idea of the cost. I am sure there will be some shops open around the pier as long as it is not some kind of a holiday.:eek:

Glad to hear there is another non cooker out there like myself.

Enjoy your cruise!!:D

We have been to Grenada in the past and are returning in March 2008. There are literally hundreds of people selling spices. There are many stalls by the dock for last minute purchases. The standard souvenir is a basket with shells attached containing a selection of spices. They come in various sizes. We bought a small 6-pack that we used as gifts. The bargain spice is saffron. It is available in sizes up to a pound. Make sure that you get the fresh bay leaves for pasta sauces, etc. They are so much fresher than the dried ones available at home. I can remember walking into town and trying the nutmeg ice cream.

Barry

...The bargain spice is saffron.
"Saffron" in Grenada, and other islands, is what we call tumeric. The locals aren't trying to con you, that's just what it's called there.

Over the past fourteen years, we've made a dozen or so trips to Grenada and stayed for several weeks at a time. One year, we did 14 hours of island tours over two days. For such a small island, there's a LOT to learn. Obviously, we love the island and the people. If you have the time, ask your tour guide to go to Forts Frederick and Matthew (above the prison) and Pearls Airport to see the abandonded Russian and Cuban planes from '83. The Rivers and Westerhall distilleries are both worth the visit.

If you get a chance, on the hill going from the cruise ship dock/market area to the Carenage; there's Tikal on the right and Art Fabrik on the left (both are smallish, so watch for them). Tikal is known for high quality locally made items and Art Fabrik has really excellent quality locally made batik clothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Tuck is right about the "saffron" ... it's not. I was so excited to find it there, but it wasn't at all what I expected ... not threads of saffron.

I was also very disappointed in the quality of the nutmeg and cinnamon I purchased there ... it came in nice little bottles with cork tops, but I ended up tossing the spices and kept the little bottles.

Hi - I'm not a cook at all but was thinking of taking Mandoo's tour to the Spice area, etc. and getting gifts for friends. Don't think I'd want to get the raw form as gifts.

What did you think about the rest of the tour - to the crater, falls, etc. and was any of it hiking intensive??? From what I've read the Falls are pretty slippery.

Any input would be appreciated ... debating between that one and Princess's Spice tour which sounds pretty interesting.

Hi - I'm not a cook at all but was thinking of taking Mandoo's tour to the Spice area, etc. and getting gifts for friends. Don't think I'd want to get the raw form as gifts.

What did you think about the rest of the tour - to the crater, falls, etc. and was any of it hiking intensive??? From what I've read the Falls are pretty slippery.

Any input would be appreciated ... debating between that one and Princess's Spice tour which sounds pretty interesting.

The tour is good. The island is beautiful. They were still doing some damage control from the hurricane that hit them in 2005 but they were almost finished. It got a little boring a times, you can only see so many flowers & plants. He stopped for bananas so that we could feed the monkeys when we got up to Grand Etang Lake. That was a wonderful stop. At the falls it was a hike down and back to watch the divers and see the falls. Mandoo warned us that the locals would be all over us to buy there goods but to just walk past them. They were pretty bad. The spice plantation wasn't much. An old barn type area which he explained the processes to us and showed us samples of all the spices produced there. We could purchase some of them there. I am trying to locate my pictures. I can't seem to attach the link without including a lot of other pics of my family functions. If I can seperate them, I will post the link.

Archived