food on exclusions

redjuliet

If you are on a cruise ship sponsored excursion, they will insure the food and beverages you are served with included meals is safe to eat. If you are eating on your own, follow the advice of the tour books or cruise staff when deciding what to eat and drink.

Is the food and drinks safe to eat and drink when you are in the ports, mainly on the exclusions?

the answer above it right on, but a question about eating in ports can, and will, have many answers.......depending on the port and the country. In general terms, avoiding unbottled water, salads and unpeeled fruit is a good start, again, giving consideration to the port/country

Is the food and drinks safe to eat and drink when you are in the ports, mainly on the exclusions?

A lot safer than the seafood dinner I ate last visit to Biloxi, MS.:mad:

I was calling Buicks for two days. Lived on the throne the whole time!!!:eek:

I agree with the others; one of the nice things about buying a shore excursion is that they do everything they can to ensure safety of the food/drink (still use common sense of course), so you can relax more and don't have to worry so much, no matter where you are.

Outside of that, your answer is going to vary widely.

Do your own research before you go, check the CDC site for one, they have some good info. When in doubt, eat on the ship. But in general---avoid street vendors in third world countries. If you have an American gut, don't eat the already cut watermelon off the street carts in Mexico, no matter how good it looks. Look for freshly cooked, hot foods, fruit that you can rinse and peel (like bananas), bottled drinks like soda and beer with caps that come off (use a straw for soda if you can), bottled water from a source you trust and is well sealed. Avoid ice, lettuce, fresh veggies/fruits that can't be peeled, food that's been sitting out for a while and is lukewarm.

Your medical insurance plan/doctor's office may have a travel department that can give you specific tips, if you like. Travel books in your local library are a good resource too.

My motto is, read up before I go, then enjoy the trip! Have a good one.

P.S. You didn't say which trip/Island you were going to be on, but I've booked trips through that same resource and they were fine. Geared for tourists, and not wanting to poison anyone---just exercise food sense. Consider talking to your doctor about getting a hepatitis A series before you go, just in case, if you haven't had it already.

I agree with the others; one of the nice things about buying a shore excursion is that they do everything they can to ensure safety of the food/drink (still use common sense of course), so you can relax more and don't have to worry so much, no matter where you are.

Outside of that, your answer is going to vary widely.

Do your own research before you go, check the CDC site for one, they have some good info. When in doubt, eat on the ship. But in general---avoid street vendors in third world countries. If you have an American gut, don't eat the already cut watermelon off the street carts in Mexico, no matter how good it looks. Look for freshly cooked, hot foods, fruit that you can rinse and peel (like bananas), bottled drinks like soda and beer with caps that come off (use a straw for soda if you can), bottled water from a source you trust and is well sealed. Avoid ice, lettuce, fresh veggies/fruits that can't be peeled, food that's been sitting out for a while and is lukewarm.

Your medical insurance plan/doctor's office may have a travel department that can give you specific tips, if you like. Travel books in your local library are a good resource too.

My motto is, read up before I go, then enjoy the trip! Have a good one.

P.S. You didn't say which trip/Island you were going to be on, but I've booked trips through that same resource and they were fine. Geared for tourists, and not wanting to poison anyone---just exercise food sense. Consider talking to your doctor about getting a hepatitis A series before you go, just in case, if you haven't had it already.

Thanks for all the info! We are going to the bahamas, ocho's rio Jamaica, cozumel and grand cayman islands.

What great timing for OP's question.

Cable news networks are currently reporting a commercial plane landed at Miami airport with eleven passengers complaining of gastrointestinal illness. The plane is currently being inspected by the CDC and undergoing deep cleaning.

The plane belongs to AeroMexico.

Thanks for all the info! We are going to the bahamas, ocho's rio Jamaica, cozumel and grand cayman islands.

In all seriosity, I haven't been to Ocho Rios, but the other ports are as gastronomically safe as your home town. Maybe moreso.:)

Archived