Seattle: Moore Hotel - I know it's been discussed but ....

travel dog

In my (apparently) never-ending quest for accomodations in Seattle with separate beds for 3 people for two night pre-cruise, mid-August, I've e-mailed and/or called ~ 20 hotels in downtown, Seattle Center and Lake District. When I get all responses I'll put a list of those hotels that have such rooms in the thread I'd started previously.

Of the responses I've gotten so far, the Moore Hotel has by far the best rate, not unexpectedly. And it's so much better (about $70 less per night in most cases: $122 for two bedrooms connected by a bath) that we have to seriously consider it.

I've read the reviews (Trip Adviser, etc.) and comments on this Board and still don't have a clear picture, in part because some of the comments are several years old.

Has anyone stayed there in the last 6 months to a year and, if so, can you tell me:

-- is it clean?

-- does it have an elevator?

-- is it safe to walk in the area at night?

-- how many blocks to Pike Place Market?

-- are there other big red flags (obnoxious tenants, etc.) we should know about?

Thank you *very* much.

Hi! We stayed at the Moore this past May.

-- is it clean? yes, very

-- does it have an elevator? yes, very small! pretty much two people with luggage at a time!

-- is it safe to walk in the area at night? we didnt have a problem walking at night, there are alot of homeless on the street but we found that to be the case all thru downtown. Never felt unsafe, just paid attention to surroundings.

-- how many blocks to Pike Place Market? just a couple of blocks to Pike Place, very easy walk down, slight uphill coming back but nothing major

-- are there other big red flags (obnoxious tenants, etc.) we should know about? word of caution, the Moore hotel is not air conditioned but the windows do open and they did have a small fan in the room. Not a problem in May when we were there, dont know about August temps. if that might bother you. If you are an early riser (before 7 am) there is absolutely nothing open in the area for coffee. Very good restaurant at Pike Place for breakfast, opens at 7 am, Lowell's Restaurant. If you do book at the Moore, ask if they can give you a room with a water view, we watched the ship come in that morning from our room!

If you have any more questions feel free to post here or email me!

We also stayed here in May and I agree with etsumom's comments. It wasn't a luxury hotel by any means but we also didn't have to pay an arm and a leg to stay there. The staff at the front desk were very nice and helpful. The location worked well for going to Pike Place Market and other sites. We would definitely stay here again.

Thank you all so much -- I'm pleased to have some 1st hand confirmation of my impression of the place.

That said, we are going to book elsewhere for one simple reasoning: air conditioning. I know it *may* not be needed in August, but one of our party lives in TX and can't believe that cool Aug temperatures exist .. anywhere! And all three of us simply wilt in heat or humidity. Since this is a very big event for us, we've decided not to risk it (or worry about it ahead of time, which we would). Got fairly good rates at Silver Cloud - Lake Union. If it weren't for the AC issue, I'm pretty sure we'd be staying at the Moore. They sent very nice responses to our initial inquiries.

Glad to have been of help! Living in the south I would have been hesitant to book for August with no AC just because I know how hot and humid it is here that time of year. Enjoy Seattle and enjoy your cruise!

Between CC and Tripadvisor, I decided to save the $$ and spend an extra day in Seattle. Looking at a Combo tour (w/AC Bus/Van) that will take most of the day, so AC at hotel may not be as big a factor. One writer mentioned that its USUALLY not too bad even in August.

When is your cruise? If it's after Aug 17, I'll add more later.

BTW the Metropolitan District has opened a residence for homeless alcoholics at a very reasonable cost, they report it has cut the rate by 50%.

Doesn't affect the drinking only the open street sleeping. Not sure how that works for the Spring-Summer months.

BBlessings,

Gail

I agree with etsumom !

Just returned from the Moore.

The Moore is not fancy.

But I was very impressed. I have stayed at ***** hotels, that did not have the quaility of the staff at the Moore.

Stayed there one day before our cruise & one day after.

I would stay there again.

The staff is wonderful.They have a baggage room you can store your luggage in.Looks like it has new shelves.

Not only is it clesn, but you would expect the hotel to be a little musty, just because of the age..IT IS NOT!

The elevator is small,but not a problem. We never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for it.

We didnt have a problem walking at night either.

We did see some homeleess.but the either left us alone or smiled & were polite.

We ate at Lowell's Restaurant also. Loved the breakfast.

Our taxi driver said there is very little humidity in the summer.

If you are looking for cheap try the Green Tortise

http://www.greentortoise.net/

My wife and I stayed at the one in San Francisco when we were young and pennyless. I remember the bed was so lousy that we slept on the floor. :eek: The people that stayed there though were very interesting and I enjoyed the stay.

Seriously though if you want to save it seems like some are getting good deals using priceline.

Apparently, Priceline only works if you have two people only and those two could, if necess., share one bed - in other words, all rooms are double occupancy and may have only one double bed or larger. Consquently, it wasn't an option for the three of us and because we had specific bed requirements.

Sure got jealous looking at some of those Priceline prices, however ....... <g>

If you are looking for cheap try the Green Tortise

http://www.greentortoise.net/

My wife and I stayed at the one in San Francisco when we were young and pennyless. I remember the bed was so lousy that we slept on the floor. :eek: The people that stayed there though were very interesting and I enjoyed the stay.

Seriously though if you want to save it seems like some are getting good deals using priceline.

I've tried Priceline, even used some of the same rates others say they've gotten, to no avail. Must be the date.

Comparing the Moore to green tortoise is not fair. The Moore is not crash pad it is a nice hotel. Yes it is old, but it is also the oldest continually running hotel in Seattle. It is clean , well maintained, the staff is MORE than friendly .Pikes market is 3 Blks. away.

email me for more ? about the Moore puffy111@msn.com

• 2 weeks later...

-- are there other big red flags (obnoxious tenants, etc.) we should know about? If you are an early riser (before 7 am) there is absolutely nothing open in the area for coffee.

Not true. Starbucks at Westlake Center about 4 blocks opens at 5 am m-f and 6 am sat & sun

Archived