Pre-cruise NYC tour suggestions?

gkrnjlr

Our hotel is in Secaucus, but we're thinking that we might drive into the city and take a commercial tour of the city. We will have dh and myself, plus 1 senior, and 2 toddlers.

Any suggestions for tour companies and what to choose for a tour?

Thanks!

Our hotel is in Secaucus, but we're thinking that we might drive into the city and take a commercial tour of the city. We will have dh and myself, plus 1 senior, and 2 toddlers.

Any suggestions for tour companies and what to choose for a tour?

Thanks!

I think with that group, the Grayline Double Decker tour bus would be your best bet.

yeah do the double decker bus tour. the only crappy part about that is whatever traffic there is in NYC...you'll be sitting in it. and if it's raining...well you'll be on the bus.

but given the # of people and age range...i think the bus is the best way. the joke about NYC is that people don't really understand how much walking is involved. it's not a negative thing. but when you factor things like taking the subway (having to walk down...3 levels underground sometimes...or well over 60+ steps for the elevated tracks in the other boroughs).

secaucus is a good location, because there is a bus stop near the mall there. in fact it's not too far away from the Bonefish Grill.

Perfect! Thanks for the input!

Do you know by chance if Grayline picks up at hotels - specifically in Secaucus? I didn't see it mentioned on the website, so I doubt it.

The toll (Lincoln Tunnel) and parking would be the only part that we'd factor in, right?

Thanks!

Perfect! Thanks for the input!

Do you know by chance if Grayline picks up at hotels - specifically in Secaucus? I didn't see it mentioned on the website, so I doubt it.

The toll (Lincoln Tunnel) and parking would be the only part that we'd factor in, right?

Thanks!

yeah just the toll and parking in NYC, which can be expensive. (link to toll prices. linconl tunnel toll is only paid inbound to NYC.

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/tunnels/pdfs/01_08_05_TollRatesFile.pdf

and i guess pick any parking garage in NYC. i am not sure but wknds might be a flat rate...

anyone in NYC know more about that?

When I went to the city last weekend, I took the CitySights NY double decker tour buses. They are the same thing as Gray Line, but if you are going for more than one day take them. If you ar just going for one day, take the Gray Line, because they have more red buses thn CitySights NY have blue buses.

Do any of these tour companies have a 'combined' city and ferry tour??:) Would like to take the 'Ferry' from Jersey City, then hook up with a tour taking in the city sights then the 'semi-circle' thru Circle-Line Sightseeing..:p

I've been doing so much researching, trying to make the perfect day in NYC, that my 'head is spinning'... :rolleyes: ;)

the ferry from JC is a great idea. My parents are 80 and they can out walk all of us..lol..just wear comfortable walking shoes and take in consideration the health of any senior. Anytime I ever took my kids into the city, especially around xmas time, they were the only ones complaining about walking:))

NYC has so much to offer you have to decide what you all want to do. My DH is FDNY and doesn't recommend anyone go on Circle Line (sorry for all of you who tell people to go on it) . Central Park is a must...the zoo there is fun and museums are close by. I love MOMA but you have children with you and there is nothing like the Museum of Natural History. The village has great street fairs any weekend in the summer. Little Italy and chinatown are something to experience. Rays Pizza, Grays Payapa hot dogs, knishes etc ...all speak NY.

Katzs deli will spoil you for deli for the rest of your life. I love our city try to experience it with alot of tours. Lots of people on this board have great ideas and give great directions:) To really experience NY you should blend in...and also if you like ...ground zero:( Hope you have a wonderful time in our city

http://www.newyorkpass.com/index2.asp

The link above might help you out. As for parking, yes garages are cheaper on the weekends but it's usually a flat rate up until a specific time. If you are late for picking up the car then you are charged. The rates also don't include the tax which is high. If I am not mistaken (which I might be), I think you can take a train from Secaucus into Penn Station in Manhattan.

Archived