Cruising with a 18 month old child

On our upcoming Pearl cruise we're taking our 18 month DGS with us. This is a first for us. Those of you cruising with children about this age, please share your tips with us. DH and I enjoy dining in the speciality dining rooms. Can we take DGS with us? How about main dining room?

Both of my sister in laws took their under 1 year babies with us on various cruises over the years. It wasn't as hard as you may think.

Babies are welcome in all the dining rooms and in fact, the staffs usually love the baby. (I think that it also helped us get better service on a couple of occasions.) Obviously, if the baby becomes fussy and noisy, one of you should take the baby out until he/she quiets down so not as to distract from the dining experience for others in the room.

Make sure that you or your TA reserve a crib for your cabin when you make reservations since supplies are limited.

There is also no babysitting on board for a child under two and so that will limit your evening entertainment choices and shore excursions. Children/babies who are not potty trained are also not allowed in the pools and hot tubs.

We had several family members with us on our cruises with the neice and nephew and the rest of us helped take care of the kids some times so that the mom and dad could do some things on just their own during the cruise.

That was about the age my DD was when we brought her on her first cruise (21 years ago).

It was wonderful seeing the ship through her eyes.

Make sure you bring his sippy cups and toddler silverware with you.

Your days will start very early (my DD figured out early that the action was up on deck and was awake and ready to go at 6AM). As a result, early bedtimes for all of us were the norm.

I don't know about speciality restaurants; they didn't exist on ships when DD was small. The staff bent over backwards for her in the dining room.

Thanks! I'll check out the family boards. Didn't even think of that! We're so looking forward to seeing through his eyes.

Just got to experience cruising through the eyes of my two little ones and it was such a wonderful experience!!!! I posted a review and some helpful hints on the family board. Feel free to check it out and let me know if you have anymore questions:)

Archived