Tunisian Discoveries

Debbierpof

I have asked several questions about Tunis on the thread and have gotten some great recommendations. Now instead of just 4 of us taking a cab from the port (which is what we were going to do), I have 12 of us that might be booking with Tunisian Discoveries for our day in Tunis. I just can't seem to find any reviews about them and I'm getting a little nervous. They have called me from Tunis several times to answer questions and e-mail frequently. They will provide a 23 person mini-bus and take us to Carthage, American Cemetary in Carthage, Bardo Museum, Sidi Bou Said, and through Tunis. We may modify our itinerary (time constraints). They want a credit card to hold the tour but know we will be paying with cash at the end of the tour. What would you recommend? How can I find out if they are a reputable company?

Thanks and sorry for the lengthy entry. By the way, their website address is www.tunisiandiscoveries.com.

I wish I could comment on your company but I can't; we did have a bad experience with a company who we booked with who just disappeared into the sunset prior to our departure but it wasn't them and no money or information had changed hands so other than leaving us scrambling a few weeks prior to departure, it wasn't an issue. We ended up booking one of those private tours sometimes offered by cruise lines cost more than we'd planned but with eight of us sharing it wasn't horrific.

I just wanted to say that we did your exact routing and I'm so glad you're going to the American cemetery. We had no idea it was there but it was suggested by our guide and it was a real highlight. Whatever you do, don't eliminate it. It was very moving. We EXPECTED Bardo and Carthage to be great and they were, but the cemetery was a stunning addition. I don't know what your port hours are but we did your routing including lunch and had no problem, except our time in Sidi Bou Said was pretty abbreviated.

We loved Sidi Bou Said. I only suggest not buying any gold there. I'm sure there are reputable dealers but I bargained for a gold bracelet as I have all over the world and this is the only time when I got home that it turned out not to be real gold. I didn't pay a lot for it because I was suspicious. Even our guide (again, booked by the ship and not us) assured me it was gold and it wasn't.

I'm not sure the company would go for this but perhaps you can send a check for security and have them hold it and return it to you when you are there so you can pay cash. We have suggested this a few times and most companies are OK with it. Like you I'm reluctant to give out my credit card number though more & more often it's necessary. :(

The website of your company looks great! We loved Tunisia and would like to go back, so I'd be interested to hear how you like the company when you get back. Have a great time!

Wow...Thanks for the tip about the cemetery. I suspect my father has many army buddies buried there. I will check it it when I go.

My father was 19 or so when he signed up and joined the paratroopers. He was assigned to fight in North Africa to fight Rommels German Afrika Korps. Before one big mission, he heard that an old friend was nearby in the regular Army. So he transferred to be with his friend. Most of his paratrooper buddies were killed.

Thanks for the tips! I marveled that after visiting so many ports in the past, we had never made time to visit an American cemetary. I think every American should do so in honor of those who gave their lives so we could travel freely. I'll see if they'll accept a check for now (or perhaps see what protections I have via Visa). It's hard planning for many folks because you don't want to disappoint with any logistical problems. Can't wait to get there!

• 2 years later...

Did you have any problems? I'll be there in July and would like to book a private tour, but am having trouble finding/trusting a tour company. Any advice you can give would be great. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in contact with Tunsian Discoveries last fall to arrange a trip to Dougga. At first they were very responsive. I had several couples interested but beginning in February they fell off the grid. My e-mails were returned "mailbox full" and than no response at all. I gave up and cancelled with the other couples. I could not find an other company to fill in for our July trip. It is a shame as Dougga is supposed to be very nice.

I would not pay anyone upfront for a tour, especially in Tunisia.

Kirk

Yes, unfortunately, despite being a European tourist hotspot, Tunisia is still extremely "laid back" when it comes to the planning aspect that most Westerns prefer. If it is any consolation, you can rest assured that Tunisia does indeed have a very vigorous tourist infrastructure. I have the comfort of having been there many times, and know that I could get to Dougga or Sidi Bou Said or anywhere for that matter in a heartbeat by long-distance shared taxi (louage), bus, train, or regular taxi for the nearby stops. All tourist sites are well-staffed with official government-sanctioned guides that you can rent for the tour, it does not have to be the driver. Most tourism-related companies there are very small, usually just a couple of people and I'm sure they can get easily overwhelmed. Lonely Planet and the Rough Guide make excellent and thorough books on Tunisia that would surely be worth checking out of the library before you go. If there are any ship's tours available it might be the best option if you need the comfort of well-laid plans to see the wonders of Tunisia!

Did you have any problems? I'll be there in July and would like to book a private tour, but am having trouble finding/trusting a tour company. Any advice you can give would be great. Thanks.

Joepyeweed,

I will be there the 31st July and have booked with a private tour guide that I found on trip advisor. His name is Ben Jebara Tahar you can google him.

OC323,

I have seen those posts as well but to be honest, he has a large number of positive posts by users who have < 5 total posts (many with only 1 post) often a sign of someone using fake posts to sound like travelers think they are wonderful. Having said that, Ben has been posting on TA for quite a while and may be fine. Just food for thought.

Kirk

OC323,

I have seen those posts as well but to be honest, he has a large number of positive posts by users who have < 5 total posts (many with only 1 post) often a sign of someone using fake posts to sound like travelers think they are wonderful. Having said that, Ben has been posting on TA for quite a while and may be fine. Just food for thought.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk,

I appreciate your point of view. I'll sent feedback to the board after my journey.

Debra

• 2 years later...
Thanks Kirk,

I appreciate your point of view. I'll sent feedback to the board after my journey.

Debra

oc23/Debra:

I had read about Ben on Tripadvisor too and was wondering if you had ended up using him and if so, what did you think.

Thanks!

Stacey

Hi,

I have arranged in Tunisia a Private Tour to Carthage-sidi bou said and the medina through the canadian agency www.toursbylocals.com with a guide called noureddine boukari .

The tour was fantastic and at a very good price , you could always check the site or email the guide directly for a cheaper price

boukari.noureddine@wanadoo.tn

regards

oc23/Debra:

I had read about Ben on Tripadvisor too and was wondering if you had ended up using him and if so, what did you think.

Thanks!

Stacey

Archived