Vancouver-Renaissance or Residence Inn?

Lorabelle

I am thinking about redeeming my Marriot points for my one night pre cruise stay in Vancouver. The two options I am considering are The Renaissance Harborside on West Hastings or the Residence Inn Downtown on Hornby. Any comments about either of these properties?

The Residence Inn offers complimentary breakfast which might be a plus. They will both "cost" the same as far as points I need to redeem.

What I am looking for as far as making a choice would be proximity to interesting places, as well as Canada Place. Ease of getting public transportation, ability to walk to restaurants, shopping etc. I'm sure both hotels will be perfectly fine as far as the rooms go, but would also appreciate hearing your comments regarding the hotel itself.

Thanks,
Lori

We stayed at the Renaissance and I would stay there again. There was no complimentary breakfast. You are a couple of blocks from lots of restaurants - not as convenient as Hyatt DT but the few blocks really wasn't an inconvenience.

You can get a room with a water view and watch the ships come in the morning of the cruise. You are also just a few blocks away from Canada Place (2-3 blocks if I remember correctly). We walked up there several times to look at the HAL ship that was docked there and to walk around Pan Pacific hotel. The hotel was very convenient location wise.

The hotel was very clean and the staff friendly. The only strange thing about the hotel that I had not seen before was the entrance to the lobby. They obviously don't have space to store luggage for people while they are waiting for their rooms so that they store them in the lobby with bicycle type locks. The luggage is well attended and I don't see a problem but had never seen this before.

check the Marriott website. We are staying at the Renaissance in June. Because the Renaissance was having a point saver special we got the Renaissance for the same amount of point as the Residence. From what grouchy told me the Renaissance is in a very nice area just next to the Marriott and a few blocks from Canada place. Check out the Marriott website for that hotel and click on "using your points"(or something like that)

I looked at the Marriot site and that is why I'm choosing between those two properties--they're the same amount of points for the night.

It appears that the Renaissance is in a good location, and so close to Canada Place. I think I'm leaning toward the Residence Inn though due to the fact that DH and I are traveling with our two college aged sons. The Res Inn has 2 queen beds, sitting area with fold out couch, along with a kitchen area. It's only for one night, so we can easily survive a regular room at the Renaissance as well. The free hot breakfast is a plus for the four of us, as that will save an additional $30 or so. (Sorry, the bargain hunter in me is showing!)

Does anyone know if the location of the Res Inn is good? As in safe with places to walk to nearby?

And of course as our plans are evolving, we're now talking about the possibility of renting a car at the airport and dropping it at Canada Place when we board the ship. In that case, the location of the hotel won't be as much of an issue.

It looks as if a rental car won't be that much more expensive than a cab ride to the hotel and then we would have a car for a bit of sightseeing before we board.

Thanks for posting this question. We have booked the Residence Inn for the same reason Lorabelle mention. We are travelling with 2 big kids and wanted the extra room. The free breakfast is a major plus and the Trolley stopping there was also a factor for us.

Thank you, too, grouchy for making me feel a little better about our decision. I was wondering if our location was alright. It looks as though it is only a mile or so from Canada Place, right?

Kathy

We booked the Residence Inn too. The bigger rooms,laundry and free breakfast were a deciding factor. The trolley stopping there was an added bonus. The trolley is Vancouver Trolleys and it is a tour that makes several stops,[url="http://www.vancouvertrolley.com"]www.vancouvertrolley.com[/url] It is about $20 per person and stops at the Vancouver Aquarium, Granville Island, Canada Place and lots of other places too!!!

Rhapsody of the Sea 1/03
Serenade of the Sea 9/19/04

Archived