QE2 leaving - Room for another new Cunarder?

bepsf

How do we get rid of Ms Marlow and friends and substitute Host Doug?

You could ask Micky Arison, but I doubt you'll get a response ;) .

Actually the final say on this decision would come from Peter Ratcliffe.

At the Sr. Officer's party on our recent crossing, the Chief Engineer (that lovely Scottish gentleman - so nice) said that plans were in the works for the Queen Anne to debut in 2010.

2010 seems too soon at this point. The only way they would get a new QUEEN in 2010 would be to postpone the construction of something they have already ordered, transferring that delivery slot to Cunard.

"Cunarder" will sail into history with QE2.

You know, this brings back something that happened when I was a kid and Cunard suddenly announced the withdrawl of the Queen Elizabeth. My mother, who was a big fan of the QE, started to cry and when I helpfully mentioned that I had read that there would be a QE2, she said, tragically, "It will NEVER be the same!"

Take heart, folks have been predicting the demise of the real Cunard spirit since they got that GERMAN liner and called her Berengaria;)

Best, David

My mother, who was a big fan of the QE, started to cry and when I helpfully mentioned that I had read that there would be a QE2, she said, tragically, "It will NEVER be the same!"

And I believe she was right! It may not have exactly been the death of the "real Cunard" but it was at least the death of one version of it, one that to a certain generation of people was the "real" one. It never was the same, nor will it be when QE2 is retired, nor was it, for that matter, when any number of other ships were retired. One might even say that the recent retirement of CARONIA was an "it will never be the same" moment as well. Or QE2's re-engining. Or... Well, there are endless examples. It will never be the same. But things don't stay the same... Things change. Change is the only thing that never changes.

Now that CCL has announced that QE2 is leaving the fleet - do you think that CCL will announce an order in the near future for some type of replacement?

What would you like to see - size, amenities, etc - and names?

Personally, I think that if anything we're to be announced, it would be a sister to QV - tho I haven't any idea what they could possibly call her...

Why would you want another Vista-class cruise ship dressed up as an ocean liner? If there is a third imposter, let's name her properly: the Margarita Of the Seas, or perhaps the Wallows In The Swells, or even the Barge Du Mer (unless the French object to the appropriation of the name of their last aircraft carrier.)

Richard

One might even say that the recent retirement of CARONIA was an "it will never be the same" moment as well.

Sadly true. The end of Cunard ships with real Cunard names. We can talk about new Mauretanias and Franconias forever, but the mba's at Princess are only going to give us "Queens." Sad.

David

I dunno. I think a "Princess Diana" has a nice ring to it...

I refuse point blank to sail on such a ship. All it will do is draw attention to itself with breakdowns, and a constant list. The bridge will no doubt give it a silly smile, and it will want to be seen doing tandem crossings with unsuitable ships like the Emma Maersk (for a bit of rough) and Carnival ships.

Matthew

I refuse point blank to sail on such a ship. All it will do is draw attention to itself with breakdowns, and a constant list. The bridge will no doubt give it a silly smile, and it will want to be seen doing tandem crossings with unsuitable ships like the Emma Maersk (for a bit of rough) and Carnival ships.

Matthew

:D :D :D Bravo, Matthew!

Archived