QE2 leaving - Room for another new Cunarder?

bepsf

Now that CCL has announced that QE2 is leaving the fleet - do you think that CCL will announce an order in the near future for some type of replacement?

What would you like to see - size, amenities, etc - and names?

Personally, I think that if anything we're to be announced, it would be a sister to QV - tho I haven't any idea what they could possibly call her...

I'm beginning to wonder if the new Cunard will be anything more than a two-ship fleet. The answer right now is that its anyone's guess. Cunard's management hasn't exactly been forthcoming about where they want to go with the brand.

The QM2 is definitely safe as it will be the new flagship for another few decades. The Victoria is considered by some to be the QE2's replacement but its a Carnival cruise ship stregthened to the specifications of a liner. Nothing original about its design on the outside but we're being promised a wonderful ship on the inside.

I think the reality is that they shouldn't even try to make an official replacement for the QE2. Let it go peaceful and move on with a new era. Trying to make a "replacement" will only lead to comparisons and a lot of failed expectations.

Should Cunard have a fleet of Queens? That's debateable.

I guess the next year is going to tell us just where Cunard is heading!

David

Now that CCL has announced that QE2 is leaving the fleet - do you think that CCL will announce an order in the near future for some type of replacement?

What would you like to see - size, amenities, etc - and names?

Personally, I think that if anything we're to be announced, it would be a sister to QV - tho I haven't any idea what they could possibly call her...

Perhaps if they build a replacement they should name her after that other lovely British Queen - Queen Alexandra.

Would it be sacrilegious to suggest a Queen Elizabeth 3??

Announcing a new ship, perhaps the QE3, would surely take some of the sting out of this news for me. A new design, based on the classic lines of QE2, but without some the quirky interior layout issues that make the ship unique, poor ventilation, etc, of the 40 year old ship would be welcomed. If they designed a proper "Liner" and not a tarted up Carnival cruise ship design, I would think that would be successful. Take the 100 million and spend it wisely Cunard.

There is no need for a third ship.. or a fourth.

One express liner on transatlantic duty.. and one world explorer is enough.

The field is already too crowded with "cruise ships".

Agreed. It's my opinion that QV is the replacement for QE2.

..and what is Mrs Brown if not a slightly beefed-up cruise ship?

I would suggest that a "world explorer" should be in the 30000grt class.

David

They need something with single cabins! They're alienating a large portion of their customers by imposing the dreaded single supplement.

Julia

I agree. Although very happily married, I have had two crossings recently on my own. It is an expensive way to do it - especially if one wants to go Grill Class on the Queen Mary, when one pays double.

Matthew

"Cunarder" will sail into history with QE2.

Anything to come will be like when the movie industry keeps making sequels of hit movies, they just don't have what the original did, even though the studio wants us to believe they do.

hmmm...."Godfather 3" = "Queen Victoria"?

:rolleyes:

Yes, I think that would be a wonderful idea. Any idea where we could get one?

David

I know where you could get three...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=75

They're building two new, bigger ones with an option for a third. Well, bigger to them--still small compared to the mega-apartment building-box boats.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=575089

"Cunarder" will sail into history with QE2.

Anything to come will be like when the movie industry keeps making sequels of hit movies, they just don't have what the original did, even though the studio wants us to believe they do.

hmmm...."Godfather 3" = "Queen Victoria"?

:rolleyes:

Surely, QE2 was a sequel to a sequel?

i know people who say the romance went out of Cunard when QE2 was converted to diesel.

The "Golden Age" of liner crossings finished a long time ago. Well before my time anyway.

I know where you could get three...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=575089

Yes, Angela, I quite agree. I've been on Tahitian Princess. A lovely ship (not a Caronia and not a liner), but small, friendly and intimate with very pleasant surroundings.

Just the sort of ship that would go down well as a world explorer. Now, remind me,........what did Celebrity do with the 2 R ships they inherited from Pulmantur?:rolleyes:

Of course, Carnival, on the other hand, took Minerva II from Swan Hellenic and its niche market, to slot in with the Princess R ships.

David

Yes, Angela, I quite agree. I've been on Tahitian Princess. A lovely ship (not a Caronia and not a liner), but small, friendly and intimate with very pleasant surroundings.

Just the sort of ship that would go down well as a world explorer. Now, remind me,........what did Celebrity do with the 2 R ships they inherited from Pulmantur?:rolleyes:

Of course, Carnival, on the other hand, took Minerva II from Swan Hellenic and its niche market, to slot in with the Princess R ships.

David

I've been on the Regatta and the only thing bad about sailing on the Queens is it keeps pushing back when we can sail on her again!

I haven't heard what Princess did with the 2 Pullmantur R ships, but I'd be interested in knowing, too.

I haven't heard what Princess did with the 2 Pullmantur R ships, but I'd be interested in knowing, too.

Celebrity created a Azamara Cruiseline to go to out of the ordinary and exotic places that the apartment blocks couldn't go!

I think I may be wrong about 2 being ex-Pulmantur, but they certainly have 2 now.

www.azamaracruises.com

David

Celebrity created a Azamara Cruiseline to go to out of the ordinary and exotic places that the apartment blocks couldn't go!

I think I may be wrong about 2 being ex-Pulmantur, but they certainly have 2 now.

www.azamaracruises.com

David

Great googley-moogley! That certainly looks like an R to me. It's nearly identical to Oceania's...some of the public rooms/area are different. But going thru the deck plans was almost like deja-vu all over again.

Ah yes, Azamara. They helped us get a separate Roll Call section for Cunard, so we should at least thank them for that. :)

I would not be terribly surprised to see a QUEEN ANNE or QUEEN ELIZABETH 3... A sister to QUEEN VICTORIA.

But it would not make me terribly happy - once QE2 is gone, all I care about Cunard-wise is QM2, and then for crossings only.

Now, I would like to see Princess' three "R" ships go to Cunard. Alas that does not seem to be happening.

I think they would make a nice CARONIA, CARMANIA and FRANCONIA.

Convert the two alternative restaurants to Grills and make the main dining room single-seating. (Delphin Kreuzfahrten did this nicely with DELPHIN RENAISSANCE, ex R SEVEN, now BLUE MOON and soon to be AZAMARA QUEST.)

They would make nice little "world explorers" indeed and would make QUEEN VICTORIA look rather redundant! Give her to P&O along with the previous one and scrap the whole idea. All we need is one ocean liner and a few nice, mid-sized, traditional cruise ships.

They could even do Bermuda cruises with the one named FRANCONIA (the previous FRANCONIA did Bermuda cruises once) since with the departure of Azamara after this year there will be no more premium Bermuda cruises left.

Anyhow, just my little Cunard pipe dream...

I would not be terribly surprised to see a QUEEN ANNE or QUEEN ELIZABETH 3... A sister to QUEEN VICTORIA.

But it would not make me terribly happy - once QE2 is gone, all I care about Cunard-wise is QM2, and then for crossings only.

Now, I would like to see Princess' three "R" ships go to Cunard. Alas that does not seem to be happening.

I think they would make a nice CARONIA, CARMANIA and FRANCONIA.

Convert the two alternative restaurants to Grills and make the main dining room single-seating. (Delphin Kreuzfahrten did this nicely with DELPHIN RENAISSANCE, ex R SEVEN, now BLUE MOON and soon to be AZAMARA QUEST.)

They would make nice little "world explorers" indeed and would make QUEEN VICTORIA look rather redundant! Give her to P&O along with the previous one and scrap the whole idea. All we need is one ocean liner and a few nice, mid-sized, traditional cruise ships.

They could even do Bermuda cruises with the one named FRANCONIA (the previous FRANCONIA did Bermuda cruises once) since with the departure of Azamara after this year there will be no more premium Bermuda cruises left.

Anyhow, just my little Cunard pipe dream...

How do we get rid of Ms Marlow and friends and substitute Host Doug?

I'm all for his plan.

David

At the Sr. Officer's party on our recent crossing, the Chief Engineer (that lovely Scottish gentleman - so nice) said that plans were in the works for the Queen Anne to debut in 2010. Don't know how accurate that info is and I know it has been discussed on this board before but it is recent info and he would be in a position to have some good info, right? He didn't give any info about what type she would be.

Archived