Binoculars and Champagne?

Golfgrl1911

I have 2 quickie questions. I have read that categories SS and S have binoculars provided in their rooms on the Zuiderdam.....Are we able to ask for the use of them in our BA cabin? If possible, I would rather not schlep mine around through airports and cruise ports....but if I must I will.

Secondly..does anyone know what type of champagne is provided if I choose to pre-buy a bottle for the sail-away celebration in our room? Is it dry, spumante, brut, etc.? And what size bottle is it for the $14.00 price? Is it a split or full bottle? Guess I had more than 2 questions!!

Thanks, Chef Nancy:cool:

You could ask about the binoculars by calling Ship's Services but I seriously doubt they would be provided for that category cabin.

I have only heard of them being in "PS" and "S"....but, if, as you say, they are in "SS", I accept that may be so.

Thanks for the replies! Well I guess I'm bringing the binoculars!! As to the champagne......I think that's a little steep for a split....You get only 2 glasses out of one!! I didn't really care about the brand...I was merely wondering about the type......I happen to love extra dry champagne and am not a real fan of asti spumante........Thanks again !! Nan:)

Spoke to Julie at HAL today to confirm size of champagne. She assured me the $14 champagne was a full bottle. In fact she stated "we don't sell splits". We shall see. If a split is delivered I will certainly protest. For that price I don't expect Dom Perignon but a nice bottle of Korbel in the local supermarket is $10 to $13.

Whew!!! Thanks for the update!! I don't care if they give me J.Roget champagne...I just thought that $14.00 for a split was rediculous!! As long as it's a full size bottle!! I was just a bit reticent about bringing a bottle on with me as you never know when one is going to a little jostled and EXPLODE!! This is a long awaited cruise and I am going to make money no object as far as the $14.00 price goes (as long as it's not a split)!! At that rate I'd use my shipboard credit in no time!! So.....the next question, again....is it Asti Spumante or Extra Dry? Thanks again, Chef Nancy:cool:

Spoke to Julie at HAL today to confirm size of champagne. She assured me the $14 champagne was a full bottle. In fact she stated "we don't sell splits". We shall see. If a split is delivered I will certainly protest. For that price I don't expect Dom Perignon but a nice bottle of Korbel in the local supermarket is $10 to $13.

"We don't sell splits" is wrong, unless this has been discontinued. Splits are available and you even find them in the mini friges in the cabin. We had a split in our frige this past April.

We have ordered champange many times. The ship used to carry Korbel and it ran around 22.00 a couple of years ago.

I have no idea what the 14.00 bottle is but I doubt it will be Korbel or anything similiar.

Good luck with your bubbley.

After looking at a wine list, I think the 14.00 bottle is a split.

What I was looking at was outdated but add a couple of bucks to compensate for todays prices. The most inexpense bottle of champagne was 20.00. Korbel was 23.00. Remember these prices are outdated by a couple of years. Hal now lists California champagne at 29.00 on their site.

The 14.00 Bon Voyage champagne was 12.00.

If I had to bet, I would bet it is a split.

It would be a shame to start off your cruise being disappointed with a split when you thought it was a full bottle.

If you really want a full bottle, get the wine list and choose one.

Well I've read that you may carry on bottles of wine. I would imagine that would include champagne as well (after all champagne is just sparkling wine). So I may just bring my bottle in my knapsack with me and not risk packing it. That way I will know exactly what I am getting.:cool:

Archived