Sorrento & the Amalfi Drive on Millie

cruiseacecat

Hi

Has anyone recently taken this shore excursion on the Millie? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Is it worth the price charged? Is lunch decent?

I usually cruise solo, and this is a rare cruise for my husband. Really want this to be special for him and do not want to book something that is not really going to special.

We, too, did a private tour in a van with 6 others. It was lovely even though the weather didn't cooperate the first part of the day. We visited Pompeii as well as drove the Amalfi coast and visited Amalfi and Ravello ( lovely town in the mountains) and ate lunch (on our own) in a charming restaurant in another mountain town with complimentary Limoncello. The cost was less than the ship's excursion and small rather than large group. It was a lovely, long and wonderful day.

We just got off the Millennium Ship on June 18/07. We did this ship's tour and found it to be absolutely worth every cent. The guide we had was amazing (Monica), the views spectacular and the meal at Bosquet Restaurant was great. No complaints from anybody at all that we heard from. The meal started with a lovery salad, a pasta dish and then a choice of baked red-sea bream fish or chicken with mozzarella & tomato Sorrento style; it was followed by dainties and coffee. Red & white wines were included. I am pretty sure we started with appetizers outside on their terrace before going into the restaurant. It was all very first class we thought. We did have time in Positano for a bit of shopping, as well as some time in Sorrento before we met for lunch. The guided tour of Pompeii was wonderful and very informative. The drive was a bit scary but worth it in the end! :)

When you get off the tender in Sorrento, walk about 50 yards and you will find a bank of taxis you will take you, for a reasonable fee of about 70 euros roundtrip, to Positano and back. What our foursome did was take the drive over, get dropped off for 2-3 hours which we spent strolling/shopping and eating lunch, and then call the taxi to come get us. It was slick and easy and we went at our own speed and stopped when/where we wanted. The next day we were anchored off Amalfi and we took the tender ashore, hired a cab and went to Ravello for a couple hours before taking another cab back. That, too, was dead easy and reasonable. Once back in Amalfi, we walked about and had pizza.

Anne. We sailed Millie in 2005. We took the ship's Amalfi Coast Drive/Pompeii tour. The drive was fabulous and as marpau stated it was worth the money. I can't remember where we had lunch, but it was very nice and had a view over the Mediterranean. When we took it the tour started in Naples and went south down the coast. If your route is the same, be sure to get a seat on the right hand side of the bus (i.e. opposite side to the driver). We "stuck like glue" to the guide as she took us to the bus and made sure we were first on. She used the 1st row on the right hand side and we got the two seats behind her. I spent the entire drive looking out at the drop-offs and DH spent the time watching all the cars coming at us out the front window. It's not a drive for the faint of heart, but we had a blast. It's a drive I would never want to attempt myself.

Lynn

Archived