Euros used in ALL ports in E. Med?

Strictly speaking, of those countries only Greece and Italy are in the Euro zone. Cyprus uses the Cyprus Pound, Turkey uses the Turkish Lira, and Egypt uses the Egyptian Pound.

I have never been to any of them (ask me in two weeks time about Turkey), but I gather from other posters that there's a good chance of having Euros accepted in tourist areas on the Mediterranean coast of Turkey, e.g. in Kusadasi. What would be required for admission into places like Ancient Ephesus where there's an entrance fee and which is semi-official, I can't say, but it wouldn't surprise me if they insisted on local currency at that point.

Cyprus is hard to say, also. They are joining the Euro in a couple of years' time, but at the moment aren't yet in it. They're a long way from the rest of the Euro countries, and also one of their major holiday groups (Brits) also don't use Euros, so you may find that Euros are not accepted.

Egypt: Again, I imagine that formal transactions would have to be in local currency but informal ones (e.g. in a tourist-area shop) might be OK in Euros.

I suspect that your best bet in Cyprus & maybe Egypt would be to change some other currency into local money, locally.

Greece, Italy only Euro.

Turkey, due to high inflation of their lira, they prefer euros and dollars.

I've made tranactions with both currencies and had no problem (1999, 2003, 2006 and 2007. That is a fact for all the places in Turkey you will visit with your cruise, except maybe Instabul.

For Cyprus and Egypt, I don't know, but I don't expect that you can use Euros or Dollars.

As Cyprus will become one of the next states which will be Euro-Area I think that should be no larger problem as there is already a fixed Euro-Cyprus Pound conversion rate.

In Egypt I would highly recommend not to use Euros!!!

They will be so kind and ask you for Euros for any kind of services which normally costs 1/100 in their currency, like seeing the toilet or paying for the return of your camera after taking a photo or paying for their camel being in your picture by coinfidence.

Regards,

HeinBloed

When we were in Turkey they were happy to take US Dollars. They would also take Euros. Since you barter for all items that you purchase, we found it much easier to begin and end the negotiations in U.S. Currency.

In Egypt we were able to use US Dollars as well without any problems.

Keith

Good to know guys! So, bartering in Turkey and Egypt can be done in US dollars fairly effectively...or should I get their currency in an ATM?

I wouldn't bother - you won't be able to spend unspent Turkish lira once you leave Turkey - even duty-free shops at the airports won't accept them! Your only option is to take them to a cash exchange, where the fees will eat up a good chunk of the transaction. And beware - there are old Turkish lira and old Egyptian pounds that unscrupulous merchants may try to foist upon you as change.

Archived