Questions About Bangkok

Keith1010

Will be in Bangkok as part of a 2008 World Cruise we will be on. The ship has an overnight there. We are likely going to stay at a hotel so that we can avoid going back and forth to the ship.

Couple of questions.

What sites would you recommend that we visit there?

Is there a main shopping district?

We do enjoy walking? I realize it's a very crowded city. Is walking our best bet?

Keith

Sites to visit would be The Golden Buddha, Royal Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha Which are all near China Town which is also wonderful to walk around.

The shopping district is around Central World Plaza, Siam and Siam Paragon.

The distance between China Town and Shopping District is too far to walk to.

There are lots of taxi's, sky train around the shopping district but no sky train to China town, or otherwise a river boat on the Chao Phraya river and long tailboats between the klongs.

5*Hotels around the shopping district are the Four Seasons or Grand Hyatt Erawan. Prathumwan Princess, Inter Continental Bangkok or Holiday Inn on Ploenchit Rd. 3* is the Arnoma Hotel.

I'd suggest not missing the floating market (a bit touristy, but then again, you are a tourist :) ) and the Royal Palace (awe inspiring). There are so many things to see and do in Bangkok--not the least of which is eating. Careful, the food can be HOT!

Traffic can be a nightmare. Walking is good. But so is the subway system--much faster and more convenient than taxis--especially during rush hours. And since the system goes all over the city, it can be better than walking if you wish to go far.

Enjoy your stay!

The best shopping area is Siam Square where Central World Plaza, MBK shopping center, Siam Center and the all new shopping Mall open last year (I don't know the name) it was the old site where InterContinental Bangkok located.

Depend on your budget, for 5 stars hotels, I recommand Hyatt and the new InterContinental. For 4 stars hotel, I highly recommand Siam Novetel. Great hotel and Great location. Stay here many time and will stay again. The main Sky Train Station is right behind the hotel. For 3 stars hotel try Arnoma Hotel great hotel with very reasonable rate. OI also stay here many time in the past, across street from Central World Plaza and many shopping right next to teh hotel. very nice and clean hotel.

For hotel reservation, try these sites

http://directrooms.com/thailand/hotels/bangkok-hotels/siam-square-price1.htm

http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/bangkok/siam_square-area.html

Taxi to China town or old town area (Grand Palace) is 20 minutes by Taxi and will cost les sthan $3 US. Sky train won't go there.

Archived