Question about balcony door

Hi All,

My df was telling me about a way to keep your balcony door open and the air still on. All he could remember was that you need a bungee cord and a magnet. I can figure out what to do with the bungee cord but I can't figure out what to do with the magnet, I can imagine! ;) Could someone please let me know how it all works. Thanks!!!

Lynn

Hi All,

My df was telling me about a way to keep your balcony door open and the air still on. All he could remember was that you need a bungee cord and a magnet. I can figure out what to do with the bungee cord but I can't figure out what to do with the magnet, I can imagine! ;) Could someone please let me know how it all works. Thanks!!!

Lynn

Some ships you do not need anything to keep the balcony door open.. the magnet is not a good idea.. turn your air off if you want the balcony door open..there is a switch somewhere on the wall or ceiling.

Some ships have a sensor - like an alarm system type, that shuts off the AC when the door is open, the sensor uses a magnet to achieve continuity. Just forget about it...

...more importantly is to never open your cabin door while the balcony door is propped open - say "wind tunnel"

I've been told that the door jamb has a sensor that reads when the door is open ansd so shuts the air off. The magnet goes over the sensor and fools it into thinking the door is closed. I've also read on some of the posts that this is not so on all the ships. I'm a first timer so I'm bringing my fridge magnet and bungee just in case, one never knows, do one!

Thank you for all your help!! I am really curious about if this works or not.

I will tell you on our 1st cruise on the Victory we did not need a bungee cord and I left the balcony door open for a few hours while in the cabin.. and the condensation is nasty.. water dripping from the ceiling the walls.. maybe it was just very humid that cruise.. but my last 2 cruises after.. I would open the balcony door to go out and close it.. never left it open for longer than 5mins..

As I said earlier turn off the air.. if it gets to hot shut the door and turn the air back on.. And also as mentioned do not open the cabin door while the balcony door is open:D

Hi All,

Lynn

Hold one of the hook ends of the bungie cord in your right hand. Attach the magnet to the hook on the other end of the bungie cord. Now twirl the bungie cord around to figure out how fast you can go before the magnet flies off. :eek:

Like some said some ships you won't need it. We always bring one just incase because we always keep our doors open while we are out on the balcony....Never had the condensation thing happening in the cabin.......not sure if the air stayed on or off cause I never paid attention........

Yep, I was just about to reply that our AC stayed on with the door open but we did have a suite. I guess that makes a difference?

The main reason we wanted to leave our door open was because our room was freezing and adjusting the thermostat did not do any good even after they came to look at it.

I had my magnet ready just in case but never needed it. Didn't use the bungee either. In a suite, I couldn't find anything to hook it onto. We just put the little table in the doorway to keep the door propped open.

Archived