Mexican Cuisine Workshop & Tasting

cprincess

I hear postive things about this exursion. It's at Playa Mia Grand Beach Park. I'm wondering if (when booking thru the cruiseline) you can stay longer at the beach than the 5 hrs. it list? Get your own transportation back to the ship? Or exactly how long it takes? I'd like to have some time to enjoy the beach while we're there.;)

You can stay as long as you want. Just make sure you give yourself enough time for the cab ride back to the pier. International pier is about 10-15 minutes down the road and the more central piers are about 20-25 minutes.

We enjoyed this excursion so much (2 weeks ago) but it was so hot and then you are standing around a cooking module with burners and grills. THEN, after the strong drinks, we just couldn't wait to get back to AC.

We left earlier than the excursion group so we could go back and shop. We were told to pay between $14-$16 (total) for the cab. I'm glad they told us this because the taxi driver asked $20. He came down to $15 when we told him this was what we were told to pay.

It did take a while to get back to town but I'd say it was more like 15 minutes, not 20-25 and we were at the down town pier which is the furthest away from the beach.

What is the menu that you get to cook? :confused: We will be there in late September so I know it will be just HOT!!! :mad: DH really wants to do this one. :rolleyes: Me, I'm more of a beach lounger with a massage type person.;)

I did this excursion last year in July and although it was hot we thoroughly enjoyed it. I must admit though that part of my group went back to the ship on our own earlier because we also wanted to cool off in the air conditioning.

We had pan grilled fish, rice, a banana pepper half stuffed with charizzo (sausage), squash blossoms and spice, a cup made out of tortilla mix with refried beans and some other things I can't remember, and for dessert rice pudding between layers of a thin cookie. We thought it was all good and fun to make. They gave us all the recipes but I misplaced it. Maybe someone else has them.

You are actually in a pavilion right on the beach and part of your excursion cost is for the beach use. You will have 1.5-2 hours to relax on the beach after you cook and eat before your bus goes back to town or you could pay $15 for a cab to go back later.

• 4 weeks later...
We are considering the Mexican Cuisine Workshop for our upcoming cruise. From what I read on this Board, it sounds like great fun! Can anyone tell me whether there was any problem with bees?

We did this excursion in December 2006, and saw no bees. My sister is deathly afraid of them! She would have been screaming and running if there were any flying around us.

We are considering the Mexican Cuisine Workshop for our upcoming cruise. From what I read on this Board, it sounds like great fun! Can anyone tell me whether there was any problem with bees?

We did this excursion in December 2006, and saw no bees. My sister is deathly afraid of them! She would have been screaming and running if there were any flying around us.

I am trying to find out the same thing. If you look on Playa Mia's web-site it shows the cooking class/beach tour package. However, there is no price. There are also no specifics like class start times that I saw.

I could not find this excursion anywhere except through the cruiselines. I heard that it's only available through your cruise ship. It is worth it. My sister and I had a great time doing this excursion. Other posters have posted the name of another cooking excursion that is not done through the cruise line and is not at Playa Mia. Maybe someone will post about the other one.

I was also researching this for my friend and read somewhere that the class holds about 20 people and that number includes people from other cruise lines if there are other ships in port. I am not sure where I got this info, I think I did a seach here in the Cozumel board. I would also be interested in knowing if it could be booked independently as my friend is interested but I am not, so maybe I could just hang out on the beach while she cooks!!!!!:cool:

Found this on another Cozumel thread

Thanks for the heads up. I am booked into the same thing but through Carnival. Someone said that they mingle the Cruise Ship passengers so that you are with people from other ships. I will be there on October 2? I believe.

After the class we spent a little time at the beach, and then we went shopping. Your ship should also offer a Playa Mia beach break, ours did. So, one of you could do the class and the other could be there at the beach.

I don't think you'd be allowed in the area of the food prep stations. However, they are sectioned off under the same area as the main restaurant, and you may be able to watch from one of the tables there. The food is only for one, and the class usually eats together. That being said, my sister and I cleaned up and went over to the tables, and there was 1 seat on 1 table, and 1 seat on another table. We went to a neighboring table that wasn't part of the class and ate together. He could probably do that too and share with you.

The class itself is done in partners. If he doesn't have one, he'll get one. It really is fun! You might enjoy partnering with him.

• 1 month later...

Archived