HAL dining question

ncsongbird

We are new to HAL and will be sailing on the Rotterdam next year. We signed up for 8:00 dining and the 8:30 dining is already waitlisted. Will we be still be able to go to the early shows before dinner or will we have to wait until the later show? We're usually too tired for that. Is it possible to go to the early show and just sneak out early? (Maybe missing the best part.) :(

Also, I've been reading the HAL info. and they say that the Lido buffet offers food stations, and waiters at the table who can take you order. Could someone please how this works and what exactly it means.

Thanks,

Mary Lou,

The early show starts about 8:15 and the late show between 10:15 and 10:30. We generally eat at 8pm and it works out well if we want to go to the show

The lido at dinner is partly buffet, when you get to the entre area you place your order and they bring it to your table. The entres are similar to those in the dining room but they don't have all the choices. The bar staff also serves at the tables.

We have 60+ days aboard Rotterdam, we hope you like her as much as we do.

GN

I just got off the Rotterdam and it was strictly buffet style at dinner time in the Lido. Perhaps I missed something?

ANd on the Noordam in May it was half and half. HAL like to keep us on our toes. :)

You will probably want to wait until May or June of 08 to call HAL to see if they can clear your waitlist--or call now to change to early dining--but who knows what the "system" will be for dining next year!

You may also want to consider the late sunset times you will experience on a Baltics cruise in early July--it might change your "rhythm". And, if you have excursions planned, you may need to time dinner based on those, or the fact that you may be very tired. It is a great itinerary, so you may need to change priorities some nights--food, shows, or the port!

Happy Cruising

Mary Lou,

The early show starts about 8:15 and the late show between 10:15 and 10:30. We generally eat at 8pm and it works out well if we want to go to the show

GN

I'm confused. I thought the early show started around 6:45 or 7:00. That's why I was wondering if we could fit the early show in before our 8:00 seating. I assume you go to the later show after dinner. That just makes it a long night for us.

We're not interested in dining at the earlier times at all. With late sailings on most port days we don't want to cut short our time in port to rush to make the early dinner. If we can't fit that earlier show in before 8:00 seating then we'll get on the waitlist for the 8:30 seating. It is nice to have that option so that's why I'm checking logistics out now.

Thanks.

Sometimes on the Rotterdam they have an early show for the late diners. I'm not sure how they decide but I think if it's a big day of touring the next day they do the show early.

We prefer dining at 8:00 so that we have time after a day in port to relax and get ready for dinner. A lot of the time we don't go to the shows but have a nice after dinner drink listening to the classical trio in the Explorers lounge.

We are new to HAL and will be sailing on the Rotterdam next year. We signed up for 8:00 dining and the 8:30 dining is already waitlisted. Will we be still be able to go to the early shows before dinner or will we have to wait until the later show? We're usually too tired for that. Is it possible to go to the early show and just sneak out early? (Maybe missing the best part.) :(

Also, I've been reading the HAL info. and they say that the Lido buffet offers food stations, and waiters at the table who can take you order. Could someone please how this works and what exactly it means.

Thanks,

it is set up so you go from dinner to the show. In alaska my DH always left early (leaving me to enjoy my after dinner tea) so he could run to play bingo which was right before the show.

I'm confused. I thought the early show started around 6:45 or 7:00.

No, the early show is for the early sitting diners. They eat at 5:30 or 6:00 (or 5:45 and 6:15) and need time to enjoy their meal. Hence, the showtime after 8:00.

As ldog says, sometimes the "late" show is before dinner (like on the final night), but that's not the ususal and customary.

Archived