Please, help me plan

tsj

Hi, We will be in Bermuda in early July. We will dock at the Dockyard around 8:00 and leave again at 5:00. I need help in making a workable plan for the day, we are a family with teens and seniors so we need to keep everyone in mind. I would like to see Fort Hamilton, go to the beach (Horseshoe?) and maybe shop a little, would you suggesr an independent guide or do it on our own via bus/ferry. If my wish list isn't feasible please make feel free to make suggestions. TIA Teri

We did this last summer on the NCL Dawn.

We got off the ship as soon as we docked and bought a bus pass. Took the bus to Horseshoe Bay and hung out there for 2 or 3 hours. At the top of the hill there is the bus that goes to Hamilton. You'll see everyone waiting for it. Took the ride to Hamilton, had lunch overlooking the water and walked around the shops.

We then took the ferry (included in the bus ticket) back to The Dockyards, it let's you off right by the ship.

Horseshoe Bay is the most beautiful beach we've ever been to... you can rent chairs and umbrellas. I had the best Pina Colada ever there... none of that too sweet canned coconut mix, it was awesome!

We had such a great time in Bermuda but it was such a shame we were only there for a "day." So we booked a cruise for this August that stays for over 3 days!

Happy Sails!:);)

For clairfication, you need the all day bus pass for the ferry included. Were these available for purchase from the driver??

Definately get an early start to make the most of your day. The buses are slow.

Since you are short on time, you might want to visit the fort and Maritime museum which is located at the dockyards. Very interesting, and lots to explore. What I would do is go to Horseshoe Beach first thing in the morning until 11-12. Go back to ship for lunch, change of clothes etc. Then go explore the Maritime museum and fort, which is a short walk from the ship. You then would have time left over for browsing the shops or the craft fair at the dockyards.

The Dolphinquest is located on the grounds of the museum, so if you are interested you can watch the dolphins interacting with the people. Also if the teens aren't interested in the fort and museum they could hang out at Snorkle Park which is right there.

Thank you for all the suggestions! Can you tell me more about the craft fair at the Dockyard? I like to buy local art/craft pieces when we travel, any ideas on crafts unique to the island? Thanks again. Teri

Thank you for all the suggestions! Can you tell me more about the craft fair at the Dockyard? I like to buy local art/craft pieces when we travel, any ideas on crafts unique to the island? Thanks again. Teri

There is a calendar of events with listings of fairs, arts, etc:

http://www.bermuda.com/events/index.php?cid=&catid=7&d=26&w=&m=7&y=2007&s=

You can click on each event for more detailed info.

I don't know if it is unique to the island, but there is a lady who makes pretty jewelery out of shells, and at reasonable prices. That is what I bought last year. She was at the Hamilton festival and the next day she was at the dockyards. The craft fair is not very large, compared to ones you might have at home. I once bought honey from Bermuda, and they also have special lotions and creams made from the unique flowers in Bermuda in certain shops. How can I forget the glassworks at the dockyards? My sister bought a handblown perfume bottle. Rumcake is also made and sold at the Dockyards.

We did this last summer on the NCL Dawn.

We got off the ship as soon as we docked and bought a bus pass. Took the bus to Horseshoe Bay and hung out there for 2 or 3 hours. At the top of the hill there is the bus that goes to Hamilton. You'll see everyone waiting for it. Took the ride to Hamilton, had lunch overlooking the water and walked around the shops.

We then took the ferry (included in the bus ticket) back to The Dockyards, it let's you off right by the ship.

Horseshoe Bay is the most beautiful beach we've ever been to... you can rent chairs and umbrellas. I had the best Pina Colada ever there... none of that too sweet canned coconut mix, it was awesome!

We had such a great time in Bermuda but it was such a shame we were only there for a "day." So we booked a cruise for this August that stays for over 3 days!

Happy Sails!:);)

This is EXACTLY how I want to spend my time in Bermuda. Crown arrives at 8 at West End, where do i get the pass and the bus to Horseshoe?? From Horseshoe I take bus to Hamilton, ferry to dock...what time did you get to and then leave beach?

This is EXACTLY how I want to spend my time in Bermuda. Crown arrives at 8 at West End, where do i get the pass and the bus to Horseshoe?? From Horseshoe I take bus to Hamilton, ferry to dock...what time did you get to and then leave beach?

You can buy the pass at the Visitor's center. The cost for an adult is $12 for one day. It is good for unlimited use of the buses and ferries, you can on and off as many times as you want. They will give you a map and schedule. The bus to Horseshoe Bay is right in front of the Maritime Museum (Fort). They also have special buses that go directly to Horseshoe Bay, just check with the dispatcher. Otherwise take the number 7 bus to Horseshoe Bay. After leaving the beach take the number 7 bus to Hamilton and then the ferry to the dockyards.

You can buy the pass at the Visitor's center. The cost for an adult is $12 for one day. It is good for unlimited use of the buses and ferries, you can on and off as many times as you want. They will give you a map and schedule. The bus to Horseshoe Bay is right in front of the Maritime Museum (Fort). They also have special buses that go directly to Horseshoe Bay, just check with the dispatcher. Otherwise take the number 7 bus to Horseshoe Bay. After leaving the beach take the number 7 bus to Hamilton and then the ferry to the dockyards.

Sounds super easy! THANK YOU! :)

Thank you for all the replies! I am wondering how much time to allow for travel to and from Horseshoe Bay? Also can anyone tell me a bit about Fort Hamilton,travel time, which bus to take, it sounds very nice, is it worth our very limited time in port? Thanks again. Teri

Also can anyone tell me a bit about Fort Hamilton,travel time, which bus to take, it sounds very nice, is it worth our very limited time in port?

That's a very subjective question. I wouldn't want to spend my limited time in Bermuda in an old fort, but then again, I live in New England and those forts are everywhere.

I would want to get out to the beach or on the water, or even out cruising around the island checking out the local landscape. But it's your vacation, so if touring the forts will make you happy: go for it! :)

(And I have been there, it is cool and the views are great.)

Thank you for all the replies! I am wondering how much time to allow for travel to and from Horseshoe Bay? Also can anyone tell me a bit about Fort Hamilton,travel time, which bus to take, it sounds very nice, is it worth our very limited time in port? Thanks again. Teri

The bus to Horseshoe Bay would take about 15 minutes for the special bus that goes directly to the top of the beach. The regular bus takes about 20 minutes and both run frequently. You catch the bus in front of the Maritime Museum (Which is also a nice fort but closes at 4PM). Once you get off the bus it is a good downhill walk to the beach. A local with a minibus charges $1 for a shuttle to the beach each way. Definitely a good idea for the way back. If you took a taxi, it would be quicker and would take you directly to the beach. Leaving the beach, you can take the bus to Hamilton in about 20 minutes. Fort Hamilton is in the center and has great views as well as the moat being turned into a botanical gardern. Very nice attraction. If you had the transportation pass, the quickest way back to the dockyard would be to take the express ferry. The pass allows you unlimited use of the buses and ferries for a one day fee of $12.

When you get off the ship there will be a ton of people looking for the bus. The locals are so friendly, we asked and they pointed us to the Horseshoe Bay bus. EVERYONE was looking to get there!

My bus wasn't slow... it was quite a fast ride! Wear your seat belt!:cool:

Archived