? For Canadian Cruisers Connecting To SEA Via YVR

spcl4cs_gal

I am flying to SEA from YYZ, connecting in YVR...the trip is with Air Canada/Air Canada Jazz all the way...will I be clearing US Customs in the terminal/area I arrive in or will I be required to get to the International Departures area to clear? I am not at all familiar with the airport in YVR but my ticket seems to indicate that I arrive and depart from the same terminal. YVR's web site doesn't clearing show where US Customs or baggage claim is in the terminal. There are 1.5 hours of connection time once at YVR and I hope that things are a bit clearer when actually onsite as opposed to their map online. :confused:

Most lilkely, your flight from Toronto will arrive in the usual domestic terminal at YVR. There's only one terminal in Vancouver, but it's segregated into Domestic, International and US Departures. US Departures is at the far end by the Fairmont hotel.

You might want to try calling Air Canada to see if you will be connecting with your flight directly, or whether they're going to have you collect your luggage in Domestic, then check in through the US Departures terminal...

I think it's very likely that you'll clear US Customs at YVR. I hope you have time between flights. Once you get your bags at the Domestic terminal you'll have to walk a bit (and go up one floor) to get to US Departures. The two sections are at opposite ends of the airport. Don't panic though, YVR isn't like JFK; it's much smaller as major airports go.

Once at US Departures grab a customs form and fill it in while you wait in line for a ticket agent. Are you flying a codeshare partner for Air Canada? If so it's probably United.

Once through ticketing you could have a major wait getting through US Customs. If you're going through when a few major flights are clustered together you might face a wait of 30 minutes before you're standing in front of a US border agent.

Ditch your checked luggage at the conveyors (you keep them with you until you clear Customs) after US Customs and there's one more line-up for security. I've never had to wait longer than 10 minutes there.

Unless you have an enormous amount of time -- say 4+ hours -- between flights I recommend you just go through right away. YVR's transborder area has more amenities on the security side than on the unchecked side.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information on YVR. :D After looking at the situation of only 1.5 hours in between flights and taking into consideration that US Customs in Vancouver is probably just as slow as it is in Toronto, I changed my flight to YVR, allowing me close to 3 hours in between flights. I would hate to have a delay and miss my connection to Seattle...and the Noordam. :rolleyes:

Excellent decision! Three hours means you won't have to panic. No sense in getting the blood pressure up before a cruise. :-)

I've learned to enjoy waiting for an hour or two on the other side of security at airports. If I'm flying First or Business I spend it in the business lounge and help myself to a drink while I catch up on the news.

Good decision for sure. Last time we went out of Vancouver the line-up for security was almost to the check in booths - very long.

You also have to allow for the plane being late getting in. We are often delayed while the plane waits to taxi to the gate plus you usually have to wait at least 1/2 hour for the luggage.

I am definitely feeling relieved now with this change in flights...even if I have to leave Toronto at 6:30am instead of 8am. :rolleyes:

I think you have made the right decision, but for the wrong reason. As a frequent AC flier I think the bigger risk is AC being late, not queues at US Customs.

With 3 hours you should be okay. Good luck.

I think you have made the right decision, but for the wrong reason. As a frequent AC flier I think the bigger risk is AC being late, not queues at US Customs.

With 3 hours you should be okay. Good luck.

Neil, have you had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with US Customs in Toronto lately? :) I have never had a flight with AC be late but the officials at the Customs booths in Pearson are a true piece of work. Unfortunately I can only travel at peak travel times due to my job so that may be the reason for slow lines at US Customs.

Archived