Sapphire Princess - whats it really like ?

Pollypammy

Am looking at the Sapphire Princess cruise next March to NZ/Aus - the itinery looks good but would welcome some views on the ship and the overall cruise experience v.s Celebrity (our favourite line). I've read mixed reviews on the Princess line, especially regarding the food, the buffet and overall service so would really like to hear from anyone whose tried the princess and a celebrity ship for some pro's & con's.

(Also-is there a decent amount of deck area on Sapphire ?)

Many Thanks

Pollypammy

I can't really compare the two since I haven't ever cruised with Celebrity. We recently returned from an Alaskan cruise on the Sapphire though and were impressed with the ship. We have only cruised a few times, so we are by no means experts, but we enjoyed ourselves and thought things were done quite well. I really didn't have anything to complain about. I would definitely book the Sapphire again. And if you are thinking about a balcony room, be sure to check out the Caribe deck!

We were on the New Zealand to Australia cruise in February on Sapphire. It was a wonderful ship and a fantastic itiniary. We stayed 4 nights ahead of time in Auckland and two nights post cruise in Sydney. We had a fantastic time.

We have sailed both Celebrity and Princess, along with various other lines. I would rank Princess right up there with Celebrity - perhaps not quite as formal, but very similar in most aspects. Food wise I think it's a push. Princess does have the anytime dining, which Celebrity does not offer.

Please let us know if you have any specific questions. :)

We have done the Millenium in the Med and the Sapphire on the MEx Riv and in Asia..

They are quite comparable .. however .. when my luggage was lost for the firsst week on the Millenium .. they offered me a package that included a toothbrush and paste and a tee shirt in a little zippered pouch.. and they did call on Formal night to see if I needed to borrow something to wear .. and they did do my dry cleaning/laundry for the length of the cruise. While this was appreciated ... On the Sapphire we had a mishap that was also not the Princess's fault and they too did our laundry for the cruise and also an OBC so I could replace some things in the gift shop.

Food about the same .. entertainment .. depends on the cast/entertainers that particular cruise.

Millenium wins on layout .. but Sapphire the dinning venues and use of them.

I think you will enjoy the Sapphire if you like Celebrity.

Just got back from Sapphire and it's one of my favorite Princess ships... although I just prefer smaller ships in general I've cruised 18 times w/ Princess and 3 with Celebrity and 9 with RCI... for comparison I much prefer PRincess and RCI simply because Celebrity is just a tad too formal for me and I think they are lacking in dining options. Sapphire has a great mix of entertainment (diff. types of music from chamber music to rock) and a variety of evening activities. On port days the dining options if you choose not to eat in the main dining rooms are superior to Celebrity.. The service on Celebrity may have more finesse but for the most part on all Princess cruises (and esp. this last one) it was excellent.. Room Service is prompt and cabin stewards always go out of their way to help you. I really think that you will find the Sapphire to your liking. .Not sure when the changeover occurs on Sapphire (forgot to ask) but the new Princess menus that are being introduced fleetwide over the year look wonderful and are more similar to Celebrity than the older ones.

Archived