Subway help in NYC

Dixe Lee

Just kidding! You are absolutely right, though down here, southern hospitality does not extend to tourists during am or pm rush hours. Not sure why but, ask a question of someone waiting to go to or from work, and they GROWL! You'll get an answer, but it might not be pleasantly delivered.

I guess we are just used it up here. I get asked for directions all the time when I am getting off the subway, up to the street. You should see how many times I get stopped when I am walking the dog. People figure if I have a dog then I must be from the neighborhood (they are usually correct). I have walked the dog through the West Village and all the way downtown - I get lost myself. I find it fun though.

I guess we are just used it up here. I get asked for directions all the time when I am getting off the subway, up to the street. You should see how many times I get stopped when I am walking the dog. People figure if I have a dog then I must be from the neighborhood (they are usually correct). I have walked the dog through the West Village and all the way downtown - I get lost myself. I find it fun though.

Hope we run into you or someone like you if we are out and about and need directions :)

I was in NY last September and found the people to be quite nice. I asked the Transit Police on both sides of the river for help in navigating the subway system and they were very pleasant and helpful. New Yorkers have been getting a bum rap.

Also...take the 1am Friday or Saturday night PATH train from the Garden to Hoboken. Quite a cultural experience you will have. :D

I was in NY last September and found the people to be quite nice. I asked the Transit Police on both sides of the river for help in navigating the subway system and they were very pleasant and helpful. New Yorkers have been getting a bum rap.

Also...take the 1am Friday or Saturday night PATH train from the Garden to Hoboken. Quite a cultural experience you will have. :D

did you really take the Path that late? thought for sure the last train from 33rd St (close to Madison Square Garden) to Hoboken was like 11:40something.

it runs all night

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/pdfs/schedule_0507.pdf

about every half hour from midnight to 6 am

for all the info that i have shared...how did i not know that the Path runs all night. hmmmm...you'd think i would (should) have known that.

just goes to show you how much i party. i'm such a loser. Name Game...you bet i'm going to take her there!

2years TODAY!!!

The Marriott is in Brooklyn Heights and not a far walk from the 2, 3, 4, 5 and N trains at Borough Hall all going to the city (just make sure you're going in the right direction). You're just one stop away from downtown manhattan. Also closeby are the A and F at Jay Street Brough Hall. If you want to take a nice walk you can cross the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan. You didn't say what part of the city you want to visit so I can't help you there, however, you can ask the concierge at the hotel as they are very helpful. You can buy your metrocard at the train station with either a credit/debit card or at a sales booth. It's really hard to get lost in NYC.

The one thing that my friend (a former city resident turned personal tour guide for the day!) mentioned to me was that when using transit passes, they are assuming that basically you are getting on, going someplace, doing something and then returning. To prevent more than one person from using the pass, they put a time limit how frequently the pass can be used. If you miss your stop, you may need to look for the next stop that you can get off and cross over without going thru the turnstiles again to reverse directions. Don't just jump off at the next stop before you check it out!

The one thing that my friend (a former city resident turned personal tour guide for the day!) mentioned to me was that when using transit passes, they are assuming that basically you are getting on, going someplace, doing something and then returning. To prevent more than one person from using the pass, they put a time limit how frequently the pass can be used. If you miss your stop, you may need to look for the next stop that you can get off and cross over without going thru the turnstiles again to reverse directions. Don't just jump off at the next stop before you check it out!

Its 20 minutes on the unlimited daily weekly monthly cards....the worst that will happen is you have to wait a few minutes...most of the time if you swipe at another station it will allow you in as a transfer...

Its 20 minutes on the unlimited daily weekly monthly cards....the worst that will happen is you have to wait a few minutes...most of the time if you swipe at another station it will allow you in as a transfer...

boy did I make a mistake its only 18 minutes and only at the same station.....but I don't think the website is right about the same station I am sure were times my Metrocard wouldn't work at another station in less than 18 minutes...

http://www.mta.info/metrocard

With my unlimited card I never have a problem swiping at another station in less than 18 minutes. When I had a paid metrocard (i.e. $10 or $20) then I would incur another charge if under 18 or 20 minutes. Go figure that one out!

Archived