Subway help in NYC

Dixe Lee

How do we negotiate the subways in NYC? We will be in Brooklyn the day before our cruise out of the BCT and would like to spend the afternoon and evening in Manhattan. From what I have found, it appears that there is a subway stop at or near the Brooklyn Marriot. So how do we go about getting on/off, our tokens, etc.? Thanks, in advance, for any and all info.

if you google map your hotel. you can zoom in close enough to see where the subway stations are in relation to it. they are clearly labeled according to what subway lines stop and what station. use the map link at the bottom to assist in getting you to where you want to go.

and tokens are a thing of the past. must use metro card. i think you can buy a 1 day unlimited. otherwise it's $2 a ride.

quick tips:

2 or 3 subway takes you to times square

R subway to herald square (macy's/manhattan mall) and also times square)

4 or 5 subway can get you to grand central station.

M to chinatown

TAKEN FROM:

http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/dirBKN.html#

By Subway

Take the F train to Smith/9th Street Train station and change for the B77 Bus. Get off bus at Conover Street and Dikeman Street. The walk is then approximately 6 long blocks to the terminal entrance.

Take 2/3/4/5/N/R subway train to Borough Hall and change for B61 bus which is on Atlantic Avenue (at Court Street). You must walk four (4) blocks southof the train station to access the bus stop. Get off bus at Pioneer Street and Van Brunt Street. The walk is then approximately 4 long blocks to the terminal entrance at Pioneer and Conover streets.

MAP OF NYC SUBWAY SYSTEM:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

no tokens any more.

You buy a metrocard either from a person or a machine.

A one day unlimited metro car costs $7.00 one its validated its good until 2 am the next morning. One person.

If you are only taking one or two rides on a day you can buy a $10.00 metrocard for $10.00(or multiples of 10) you get $12.00 worth of rides(6)....unlimited transfers so you can go anywhere in the system for $2.00 if you buy a metrocard up to 4 people can swipe on one metrocard(its like a thin credit card and you swipe it in a slot at the entrance).....

The 2345 F A and C, M N and R are all near the Brooklyn Marriott. The A C and F are practically underneath the hotel and the M N, R 2345 across the street. The subway is fast clearer than it once was and most airconditioning that works. I would try not to be on it in the rush hour but it isn't as crowded as some other subway systems....

try not to get a $2.00 fare only card they aren't good for transfers and they expire in two hours...

You couldn't give me a map and let me navigate the subway. 2 weekends ago when I was in NYC, I never used the subway because I knew that I would get lost. My fear was that I would end up totally off course. That's why I used taxis. I used the bus twice, but that was even so hard. I was out in front of Sbarro pizza with 4 other group members waiting for the M5 bus I think it was for about 20 minutes. We finally took a taxi. The taxi driver was nice enough to take 5 of us at night. We gave him a great tip.

You couldn't give me a map and let me navigate the subway. 2 weekends ago when I was in NYC, I never used the subway because I knew that I would get lost. My fear was that I would end up totally off course. That's why I used taxis. I used the bus twice, but that was even so hard. I was out in front of Sbarro pizza with 4 other group members waiting for the M5 bus I think it was for about 20 minutes. We finally took a taxi. The taxi driver was nice enough to take 5 of us at night. We gave him a great tip.

i understand your fear of using the nyc subway map. it's about as understandable as the metabolic pathway map.

anyway...smeyer418, got2cruise, and i wouldn't allow you to get lost in nyc. you'll have such a great time using the subways. as frank said...

"if i can make it there...i'll make it anywhere..."

i say get the one day unlimited metrocard...you'll be glad you did.

The NY City system is among the easiest to navigate in the world. Much easier than London or Paris. Each train shows where its going the tracks are well marked and there are people to ask at almost every entrance. Its heavily patrolled and much faster than the bus....Uptown Downtown all around the town is very easy especially in the core district of Manhattan. Most of the time it is also much faster than a cab driver....who you never asked to go to Brooklyn....another story.

The subway maps are actually quite easy because its in color. Each subway train line is done in its own color - so you just follow the color.

If you go to...and I know there's a direct link someplace. Do a search for NY Transit. Should be the first link that comes up.

Click on it and inside somewhere on the site is an actual subway map.

However, be careful of taking the subway at night & stay away from the edge of the tracks. People have been known to be pushed in front of an oncoming subway. NY has crazy people too.

Appreciate all the responses. Got a visitor's guide mailed to us from www.nycvisit.com, very nice guide and it is pretty comprehensive, and in it it states that the NYC subway system is the easiest to use in the whole country, so we will find out if that is true in October. All of your responses will be printed and taken along with us, and I think we will do okay. Of course, if we miss our cruise, :eek: come look for us on the subway as we will be trying to find our way back to where we started :D

The subway maps are actually quite easy because its in color. Each subway train line is done in its own color - so you just follow the color.

If you go to...and I know there's a direct link someplace. Do a search for NY Transit. Should be the first link that comes up.

Click on it and inside somewhere on the site is an actual subway map.

However, be careful of taking the subway at night & stay away from the edge of the tracks. People have been known to be pushed in front of an oncoming subway. NY has crazy people too.

way to go cassandra! just scare the begeezus out of dixie lee. but then again she is right. my method is to either lean with my back to the support beams (when present), or just shuffle around tapping my feet to the music in my mp3 player. keeping my eyes open.

when you start to feel a slight breeze you know the subway is coming...if the headlights don't already give it away.

TODAY:

coworker and i were coming back into manhattan from a meeting in long island city (Qns). we saw a family of 4 at the 23rd - Ely station. they were reading a map and wanted to get to the Museum of Natural History. their daughter wanted to go because of the movie Night at the Museum. they were from jacksonville. they were pretty confident...they just needed us to confirm they were taking the proper lines. so it is very do-able.

No, I believe the last big subway story was the man who saved they guy's life when he fell onto the tracks.

Dixie, remember this; The Bronx is Up (Uptown) and Brooklyn is Down (downtown) as to the direction of the trains. They all run uptown/downtown in Manhattan except for a few and I think all trains have stops at Canal Street.

If you are in Midtown and want to head to Chinatown, head downtown which would be a train heading to Brooklyn.

No, I believe the last big subway story was the man who saved they guy's life when he fell onto the tracks.

and that guy was a contestant on Deal or No Deal...i forget how he did.

as for other "tragic" stories in NYC...things happen in chinatown. being asian american, i suppose i should stay away from chinatown because i could be mistaken for some other asian guy.

OH PUHLEASE...i can be mistaken for someone at anytime. in fact, when i first started working here, people thought i was Odd Job from the James Bond movies.

seriously bad things happen all the time in all places throughout the country. everyone has great advice, though...just be safe.

Also don't look like you are terrified while on the subway. The NYC subway system is very easy. If you go the wrong direction, all you have to do is get off at another stop and go back the other way. The subways can actually be fun, especially if you've never been on one before. Just don't expect a friendly uncrowded ride between 7:30 and 9:00 AM Monday through Friday and from 4:00 t0 6:00 PM Monday through Friday.

Also don't look like you are terrified while on the subway. The NYC subway system is very easy. If you go the wrong direction, all you have to do is get off at another stop and go back the other way. The subways can actually be fun, especially if you've never been on one before. Just don't expect a friendly uncrowded ride between 7:30 and 9:00 AM Monday through Friday and from 4:00 t0 6:00 PM Monday through Friday.

especially on the 6 or E trains.

Doesn't sound much different than the MARTA trains in Atlanta, just on a whole lot bigger scale. We travel often to Atlanta and when we ride on the MARTA trains, we try to look cool like we are locals and we know what we are doing :cool: and usually we do just fine, but we did get messed up one weekend when we went there to see Rod Stewart in concert at the Phillips Arena and it was one of the weekends when MARTA does "single tracking" where one side of the tracks are closed for maintenance and we had never run into that before; needless to say we got really turned around because our stops were not the same as what we were used to and we almost missed the whole show. Got there an hour late but, fortunately, Rod was late also so we actually got there as he began, so all worked out well. Since we will be in NYC on the Friday before our Saturday departure, we will heed the advice and probably stay off the subway until after the rush hour is over.

Doesn't sound much different than the MARTA trains in Atlanta, just on a whole lot bigger scale. We travel often to Atlanta and when we ride on the MARTA trains, we try to look cool like we are locals and we know what we are doing :cool: and usually we do just fine, but we did get messed up one weekend when we went there to see Rod Stewart in concert at the Phillips Arena and it was one of the weekends when MARTA does "single tracking" where one side of the tracks are closed for maintenance and we had never run into that before; needless to say we got really turned around because our stops were not the same as what we were used to and we almost missed the whole show. Got there an hour late but, fortunately, Rod was late also so we actually got there as he began, so all worked out well. Since we will be in NYC on the Friday before our Saturday departure, we will heed the advice and probably stay off the subway until after the rush hour is over.

actually it's really only a few lines. major subway arteries where people in the surrounding boroughs would use.

but in all actuality...there's really nothing to worry about. it's more like an FYI so you aren't shocked when you see multiple rows of people queueing up for the next subway.

oh...and Rod Stewart will not be in town. so even better. hahahahhahaha...j/k

actually it's really only a few lines. major subway arteries where people in the surrounding boroughs would use.

but in all actuality...there's really nothing to worry about. it's more like an FYI so you aren't shocked when you see multiple rows of people queueing up for the next subway.

oh...and Rod Stewart will not be in town. so even better. hahahahhahaha...j/k

Hey, it's a girl thing ;)

Dixie, remember this; The Bronx is Up (Uptown) and Brooklyn is Down (downtown) as to the direction of the trains. They all run uptown/downtown in Manhattan except for a few and I think all trains have stops at Canal Street.

If you are in Midtown and want to head to Chinatown, head downtown which would be a train heading to Brooklyn.

Exactly, that's how you need to remember it. It's either uptown or downtown (for the most part). Went to NYC for a week a couple weeks back. Simple system to learn, but when it doubt...you either need to go uptown or downtown (you just need a basic idea of where you're at and where you need to go when making that decision).

Is this supposed to be reassuring ? :eek:

Actually it is. I have no problem asking people for directions when there are a lot of people around. People who look they are dressed for work probably are and they most likely know the area really well.

Actually it is. I have no problem asking people for directions when there are a lot of people around. People who look they are dressed for work probably are and they most likely know the area really well.

Just kidding! You are absolutely right, though down here, southern hospitality does not extend to tourists during am or pm rush hours. Not sure why but, ask a question of someone waiting to go to or from work, and they GROWL! You'll get an answer, but it might not be pleasantly delivered.

Archived