Elation and Hurricane Earl

childs57

I am assuming the Elation sailed from Galveston as usual yesterday. The National Hurricane Center projects Earl to hit the Yucatan peninsula on Thursday, then entering the Gulf of Mexico on Friday.

If the models are correct, then this does not bode well for the Cozumel and Belize ports-of-call. Also, Elation would have to sail back to Galveston through the hurricane on Friday-Saturday.

What does Carnival do in a situation like this? Their website only says that in the event of a hurricane, they reserve the right to change iteneraries and ports-of-call to protect the safety of passengers, crew, and the vessel. What ports-of-call in the Carribean would the Elation divert to that would be safe?

I was just wondering if anyone had ever been placed in this situation while cruising...

we sail out on her on saturday......if it hits the yucatan on thur...then it sails back thru it friday and sat....

this is way to close for me....especially w/ anoiother right behind it.....

come on experts..........what do ya think!!!!!!!!

Leaving from Galveston, there is really no place for the ship to re-route to miss heavy seas, is there? Looking at the map, those leaving from Florida ports can go in a different direction than the posted itinerary. I'm not seeing where a ship can go from Galveston to get away from the storms, especially one that tracks to the northwest out of the Yucatan Straits.

My friend and 30 family members are scheduled to sail from Galveston on Sunday, Aug.23. She hasn't heard anything on a possible change yet.

All three ports would be affected, most likely. With HDawson's great photo essay on Progreso, Merida, and the Yucatan, I was really looking forward to my trip on the Aug.29th sailing of the Elation.

...and I was so excited to be able to sail from a port that's 30 minutes from my home. Sailings from Galveston have brought a boon to our economy, too.

I would think that if the hurricane goes west, you'd go east. New Orleans, Key West, San Juan, St Thomas - all depends on where it is and how fast it's going. They'd try to take a route that would circle around it and try to follow it back in to Galveston - at a safe distance ;) - getting you back to Galveston on Sunday.

Your days at sea/excursion days might change also. I'd start researching some eastern carib ports just in case.

Charley was a very fast moving hurricane, thankfully, and maybe you'll get lucky and Earl will be also. Worst case scenarion is if Earl hits Galveston on Sunday. That would cause some real chaos :)

... Worst case scenario is if Earl hits Galveston on Sunday. That would cause some real chaos :)

Sure would, since my home is sitting 100 feet from the water...

At least I've already been through that last year and know what the procedure is...and I have a place to go inland.

Thanks for your comments. I'll start looking at points East! I've always wanted to go to Key West...

We were on a Carnival trip in 2001 from Long Beach aboard, ironically, the Elation.

We were scheduled to visit Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerta Vallarta (approximate spellings)

There was a pacific hurricane coming up the Mexican coast so we only made Cabo before having to turn and run. We ended up with Ensenada, San Diego and Catalina Island. Carnival offered people the chance to get off at Cabo fly back and Carnival would credit them for unused nights. We of course chose to stay aboard because it was our first "big ship" we were having a great time and all these ports were new to us any way.

I'll never forget a guy in the elevator when we were docking in San Diego. DW and I were all excited about seeing the zoo and he just says, "Well I guess I'll just go home, cut my grass and come back'

He was from San Diego. I guess the value of the alternate ports is relative. They can't guarantee much in those situations.

Latest track I've seen puts it across the Yucatan in a few days and then into southern Mexico. Not good for your scheduled trip.

WTNT25 KNHC 161421

TCMAT5

TROPICAL STORM EARL FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 12

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL052004

1500Z MON AUG 16 2004

TROOPICAL STORM EARL HAS DEGENERATED INTO A TROPICAL WAVE LOCATED

OVER THE CENTRAL CARIBBEAN SEA AT 16/1500Z

PRESENT MOVEMENT TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST OR 285 DEGREES AT 22 KT

MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 25 TO 35 KT WITH GUSTS TO 45 KT OVER THE

CENTRAL CARIBBEAN SEA.

THIS IS THE LAST FORECAST/ADVISORY ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE

CENTER ON THIS SYSTEM UNLESS REGENERATION OCCURS.

FORECASTER LAWRENCE

A Big sigh of releif............looks like we will be ok.........this weekend......and the folks on the elation now are going to have a great trip.........

Archived