Kenai Fjords-A must see?

Wan

We will be in Anchorage pre-cruise for a few days in June and are wondering if anyone has been to the Kenai Fjords and if it is worth a 3-4 hour drive each way for us to take a 6 hour boat tour. Sounds like a very long day to me, but I would be up for it if it was worth it. We are cruising southbound from Whittier to Vancouver, and are signed up for whale-watching out of Juneau, so we would be getting already some sea life exposure. Thanks to everyone for your help!!

I'd call it border-line. It would be a long day, but would get you some experiences you won't get otherwise. A lot of what the Kenai Fjords tours do isn't open-water marine life but the birds, seals, sea otters and such, which you won't get on the whale-watching trip (at least very little). The Kenai Fjords offers superb scenery as well - although you get lots of that on the cruise, you aren't 50-100 feet from the shore.

If you aren't doing a land excursion, I'd head north, though, rather than to the coast - see something really different to add to your experience.

Murray

We thought is was the best part of our trip, if only because we hadn't seen as much wildlife on our cruise as we hoped. The five hrs. on the Kenai Fjords trip was amazing -- we saw simply tons of animals as well as getting very, very close to the glacier...

Legend of the Seas 8/02

NCL Star to Hawaii 04/04

Murray and Kayla's Mom, thanks for the feedback. We will be in Palmer for 4 days and are thinking of heading south one day, east and north on other days, but we're always open to suggestions so Murray let me know if you have any better ideas!! KM, did you or your family get much motion sickness on this boat?

No, and let me tell you -- the get sick on almost anything. I was actually shocked how smooth it was, but the captain was excellent and kept very near the shoreline to see more wildlife.

I forgot to say, you might want to think of getting the Toursaver coupn book as there is a two-for-one coupon for the cruise in it. The coupon book is $99 but that's less than the cruise.

Also, forgot to say we had an excellent lunch in the restuarnt right by the dock for Kenai Fjords -- can't remember the name, but I do remember my yummy crabcake sandwich.

And if you get a chnace, you might go by the Seavey's dogsled camp which is only a mile or two from the boattrip. I thought it would be hokey, but it was just fantastic.

Have a really, really good trip.

Legend of the Seas 8/02

NCL Star to Hawaii 04/04

The restarant was probably Ray's Waterfront. Great dinner the night before we took the Kenai Fjords tour. Personally we did not get motion seasickness but some did. When the boat gets to open waters, it can be rough. However, the Captain does his best to avoid the roughness. Take some Bonine before leaving and have some candied ginger handy just in case. The ginger very quickly relieves the nausea.

The 6 hr cruise is terrific. Great scenery, Orca whales, humpbacks. etc.

Larry

Fantasy 08/99

Ecstacy 05/00

Westerdam 04/01

Legend of the Seas 08/02

Zaandam 04/03

Carnival Spirit 08/03

How much motion of the boat will depend on the weather. Took this Kenai Fjords trip twice and once was as smooth as glass and the other time quite choppy. We felt this was one of the best trips we took in Alaska, we traveled there twice in an RV, but did not take a cruise ship trip.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>if it is worth a 3-4 hour drive each way for us to take a 6 hour boat tour <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If you enjoy seeing the scenery no question it is BUT if you only enjoy being there why take all of that time driving?

Future cruises:

May 04 Amsterdam

Sept. 04 Star Princess x 2

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess

July 05 Star Princess

Aug. 05 Star Pincess

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess x 2

03 Grand,Sun,Tahitian,

Royal Princess x 2,Island Princess

01 Ryndam x 2

00 Sky Princess

79 Sitmar's Fairwind

The drive down the penninsula is gorgeous. We cruised last year from Seward to Vancouver and spent 4 days on the Kenai Penninsula and fell in love with it. So much so that we are returning this June for two weeks there - no cruise. For the Kenai Fjords tour, we are taking the boat trip into Ailaik (sp?) Bay then taking a half day kayaking trip there. Can't wait!

Sandra

Harlingen, Texas

Just a suggestion, why not stay the night in Seward instead of going back to Anchorage that night. There are some reasonable transports from Seward to Whittier to get you to the ship. We are doing this in reverse. End our cruise in Whittier, take the transport for $30 to Seward for the Kenai Fjords cruise, see Exit glacier, possibly Seavey's dog sled, and then overnight in Seward. Then rent a car and drive to Anchorage the next morning -OR- possibly take the same transport to Anchorage for $45. This would save you 3 hours of transit time.

I wouldn't base 4 days out of Palmer??? Alaska is best seen on the move, rather than day trips from a single location. As for Kenai Fjord- YES this is an excellent tour that will give you the opportunity for great wildlife sightings not seen elsewhere on your cruise. No comparism to Auke Bay in Juneau. BUT- don't count on smooth sailing, in fact count on rough sailing part trip and TAKE PRECAUTIONS if prone to seasickness, I have seen sick passengers EVERY trip I have taken. It is alway a must do for me- fits nicely in with your cruise day. Look at the above suggestion- for saving time. Also Avis is supposed to have one way rentals Whittier/ Anchorage. I would strongly recommend it to save valuable time. keep the car for only a day then turn it in for a cheap round trip Anchorage rental.

I agree with MCCloyd...what a good idea. I know that the same folks who own the Kenai Fjords trip have that hotel right next to Exit Glacier's entrance and the Seavey camp. We were supposed to stay there last yera and got an excellnet rate, but had to cancel the whole trip for another reason. Lets to do in Seward -- that's a great idea.

Legend of the Seas 8/02

NCL Star to Hawaii 04/04

As mscloyd recommended above, we flew in to Anch, got a car, visited localled and spent the night. The next day we drove down to Seward in order to make sure we had time to tour on the way down to Seward and once we got there. We toured town that afternoon, checked into a bed and breakfast just outside of town, went over to see the Seavy Family Tour that evening as well as Exit Glacier. The next morning we took the 6 hr Kenai Fjords tour (with seasickness precautions of course) and it was also great. Saw orcas, humpbacks, puffins, artic terns, sea otters, harbor seals, lots of calving glaciers. We then went back to Anchorage where we spent the next day visiting local sites before leaving for denali the next morning for two more nights. Next trip, we will probably spend less time in Anc and more in Kenai penisula or somewhere else we haven't been.

By the way, if anyone can remember specific names of places they stayed in Seward I would much appreciate that. Also, I am very interested in the transport from Seward to Whittier, is that a bus? Anyone know how I would find out about that? One last question, any hotels/B&B's to recommend on the way to Denali, such as in Talkeetna, or at the park entrance? Thanks!

Archived