Any advantage to going into LGA, out of EWR?

We're cruising out of Cape Liberty in September and plan to spend a couple of days at the Hilton near Rockefeller Center before the cruise. Would it make sense to fly into LGA so we're close to Manhattan when we arrive, take a cab or limo to Cape Liberty the day of departure, and fly home from EWR after the cruise? Airfare is slightly higher than going in & out of the same airport...but it seems like it would be more convenient and make ground transportation cheaper. Does this seem logical to anyone who's familiar with those areas?

We're cruising out of Cape Liberty in September and plan to spend a couple of days at the Hilton near Rockefeller Center before the cruise. Would it make sense to fly into LGA so we're close to Manhattan when we arrive, take a cab or limo to Cape Liberty the day of departure, and fly home from EWR after the cruise? Airfare is slightly higher than going in & out of the same airport...but it seems like it would be more convenient and make ground transportation cheaper. Does this seem logical to anyone who's familiar with those areas?

It seems totally logical to me. If the flight is only slightly higher, it is definitely worth the convenience. LGA to Manhattan is much cheaper than EWR to Manhattan. EWR from Port Liberty is probably cheaper than going to LGA. That I'm not completely sure about but it probably isn't more.

my only contribution here is that if you are booking your flights independant from NCL (and i guess even through NCL)...that would be considered 2 one-way flights...aka open jaw.

not sure how much the price difference would be versus flying back through LGA. but if it's only slightly higher and you are ok with it....sure...why the heck not. i would!

my only contribution here is that if you are booking your flights independant from NCL (and i guess even through NCL)...that would be considered 2 one-way flights...aka open jaw.

not sure how much the price difference would be versus flying back through LGA. but if it's only slightly higher and you are ok with it....sure...why the heck not. i would!

ZoneHPH, That used to be the case, but not always today, since the advent of JetBlue and the one way fares, they are all willing to compete for your Bucks: IE; We booked for our cruise for Thanksgiving week out of Miami, and used expedia, and the best price we got was Delta out of LGA going down and American into LGA comming back. But there were other choices too, LGA out JFK back, White Plains, Stuart, EWR etc. etc..

But back to the question at hand, I think you've made a good choice.

ZoneHPH, That used to be the case, but not always today, since the advent of JetBlue and the one way fares, they are all willing to compete for your Bucks: IE; We booked for our cruise for Thanksgiving week out of Miami, and used expedia, and the best price we got was Delta out of LGA going down and American into LGA comming back. But there were other choices too, LGA out JFK back, White Plains, Stuart, EWR etc. etc..

But back to the question at hand, I think you've made a good choice.

oh that's cool! 2 one-ways for less than the price of a RT. well it's hard for me to justify flying out of any other airport. i'm very close to EWR. price differences for me really have to be huge.

TGIF! and i'm starving already...it's only 9:35am!!!

oh that's cool! 2 one-ways for less than the price of a RT. well it's hard for me to justify flying out of any other airport. i'm very close to EWR. price differences for me really have to be huge.

TGIF! and i'm starving already...it's only 9:35am!!!

I almost always fly out of EWR even though LGA is much closer to me. I usually get significantly better prices from EWR - at least for Continental. For my November cruise, the savings was more than $250.

I almost always fly out of EWR even though LGA is much closer to me. I usually get significantly better prices from EWR - at least for Continental. For my November cruise, the savings was more than $250.

i'm starting to like you more and more! hehehehehe. but i think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Continental is a HUB in EWR...right?

i'm starting to like you more and more! hehehehehe. but i think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Continental is a HUB in EWR...right?

You are correct. EWR is Continental's HUB. There are a lot of flight times available. I also find security at EWR to be the smoothest of all the airports.

You are correct. EWR is Continental's HUB. There are a lot of flight times available. I also find security at EWR to be the smoothest of all the airports.

now you're talkin' crazy! *wink*

Ya think? Try JFK once. It might be your last :eek:. Actually, LGA really isn't that bad.

sorry...even with an awesome price savings...cant' justify driving, paying tolls (inconveniencing parents/friends to drive me) to fly out of JFK or LGA.

the sad part...

i have family members that think saving $100 justifies me having to take half a day off just to drop their butts off (or pick them up)...FOR THEIR SAVINGS. ask me if they pay for my gas or toll.

sorry...even with an awesome price savings...cant' justify driving, paying tolls (inconveniencing parents/friends to drive me) to fly out of JFK or LGA.

the sad part...

i have family members that think saving $100 justifies me having to take half a day off just to drop their butts off (or pick them up)...FOR THEIR SAVINGS. ask me if they pay for my gas or toll.

My sister who lives in Jersey is flying out of JFK instead of EWR for a supposed big savings for three people. When she found how much transportation would cost, the savings was gone. Now they are driving to JFK and parking for 10 days. Where's the savings I ask you?

It costs me a total of $6 more to get to and from EWR then from JFK. It also takes me about 20 mintues less travel time and I rarely hit traffic.

Archived