Appropriate clothing for the Sun and Alaska

rubybc62

We'll be on the Sun to Alaska on July 15 and are not sure what to pack. I'm in a summer state of mind since we are in California. So far I have packed t-shirts, sweat shirts and a light windbreaker. Will this be enough for Alaska when we are off the ship and on shore excursions?

Also, do we need warm clothes for the ship itself or will summer-type clothing be okay? I guess I am having trouble figuring out how much warm stuff to pack for Alaska at this time of year. I know it's freestyle, but should I pack more formal clothes for dining in the evenings and shows?

Hi,

Alaska weather can vary so much, so layering is the smart choice for clothing.Depending on your shore excursions, you might want a hat and gloves (we went in August and needed them on our glacier excursion). A small travel umbrella might be good too.

As far as more formal wear for dining or entertainment, remember this is NCL and this is totally optional. Wear what is comfortable for you. My husband loves NCL so he doesnt have to dress up, but he humors me other cruiselines by wearing the "penquin suit".

Enjoy Alaska, that has been my favorite cruise to date! The Alaska board will have lots of suggestions for you too.

Some kind of rainproof gear is almost always a must for Alaska usually at some point. We got lightly lined waterproof jackets from Lands End that were great. And layed with sweatshirts were very warm. We went the end of August last year and needed all that with gloves and hats in Glacier Bay and on our Whale watch excursion. It's also sometimes cool while the ship is moving even in the inside passage. That was the one different thing cruising Alaska over the Carribbean that surprised me the most, many more people were inside the ship doing things, like eating at the same time etc. since it was cooler outside. Not many ventured outside to eat like at the Great Outdoors, or outside the buffet. So they tended to all want to eat at the same time in the dining rooms and restaurants. Still, Alaska is amazing and we can't wait for the chance to go again.

Best Advice that I got for packing for Alaska on the Star was "pack layers." Pack things that you can put on over other items if it is cooler and take off if it gets warmer.

For the evenings, all nights are what you want them to be, formal or casual. If you want to dress up...go for it. If you want to just wear polo shirts and kahkis every night that is fine in all dining venues. They will have at least one "dress as you want night" (dumb name...used to be called "optional formal."), when several (about 40%) of the passengers will dress up.

Bring everything! (Just kidding! LOL) You will probably experience significant weather fluctuations during your cruise. The ports can be warm enough to need shorts or capris. The A/C on the ship may make some rooms (like the dining rooms) very chilly. And when you approach the glaciers, even though the ship is still quite a distance from the actual glacier, the temperature will drop dramatically. So don't forget gloves, hats, & warm socks (and decent shoes if you intend to walk around or hike). Also, as mentioned above, a water-proof outer layer would be advisable.

Have a great time in Alaska!

There are tons of discussions on the boards about what to wear in Alaska. Layers is the key. In Glacier Bay I wore my all weather lined jacket with hood, gloves, & I was cold. Water proof hiking shoes came in handy for all of us on excursions...Walmart had them cheaply at the time. We were there in early July 04 and the daytime temps were up into the 60's so it was really nice. Jackets can be removed and worn around waist. Windsuits came in very handy because we could layer under them...not very fashionable but comfy. Oh, and my youngest two still managed to swim in the outside pools on the Star...the water was warm even though the outside air was cool. I'd leave summer clothes home. You won't need any shorts I presume. My youngest did have a couple of sundresses she smuggled into her suitcase I let her wear on the ship to Kids Crew on sea days. You also, however, will not need your wool pants. IMO, sweats will be too thick & bulky both for wearing and packing space required. I found that the long sleeved tshirts (nicer thicker fabric type such as Land's End) were perfect. Don't think wintertime weather at this time of year just think cool. Have a wonderful time!

Archived