What do you like to buy in Quebec?

sjde

I am originally from Montreal but have lived away for 20 years now. When I visit Quebec or Montreal I try to find some art by Renee Bovet. She produces everything from post cards to silk prints. To me they depict and represent the true feel of the area. The art is colourful and lively and depicts true Quebec scenes. I have several pictures mounted on board, easy to hang or place on a stand. I know there's a store not far from the cruise port in Old Quebec that carries them. Take a look at the pictures on her site and you may come across some of it. Also you can order from her site and you dont have to carry it home :)

I always buy a piece or two for my walls each time I visit. Here is a site address:

https://www.reneebovet.com/index.php?newlang=english

A couple of places in Quebec they are available :

Boutique Métier D’art

29, Notre Dame

Place Royale

Québec

La Corriveau

24, Côte de la Fabrique

Vieux-Québec

Aux Belles de nuit

55, Sous le Port

Québec

La Cinquième Saison

26, côte de la montagne

Québec

Tina Johnson

vistaclass@hotmail.com

What do I like to buy in Quebec? "more time":D

Seriously I have found some wonderful old prints in the antique shops of lower town; maple syrup (comes in big plastic jugs -- or small ones -- so you don't need to worry re breakage) and sometimes some old pottery. The lower town esp. has some wonderful little shops... a lot of the things they sell aren't "quebecois" per se but the atmosphere down there is wonderful.. Were last there during winter carnaval and it was still decorated for Christmas.. looked like something out of Dickens

that's right, here its common for people to leave the christmas decoration until the end of the Winter Carnaval, it helps us go through the long and very cold weather we have.

:)

My favorite shop is called ''Transparence''. In fact, there is two of those. One is located near the Port and the other is just beside the All-year-round Christmas boutique, close to the Chateau Frontenac. They have beautiful glass work (some are strong enough to carry, other need to be extra cautious - glass, you know).

• 2 weeks later...

I like the artists in Rue de Tresor.

Okay, I know this is a tourist trap down the alley almost opposite the Chateau Frontenac, but I still like it.

Some of the wood figures in the shops in basse ville too.

Prints based on some of the traditional Quebec winter scenes like the sugar loaf (Montmorency falls). Thinking of Krieghoff particularly since my friend's mother lives in his house in Quebec.

A bonhomme to represent carnival or a ceinture des fleches? (traditional colourful woven tie belt) (ooh my French is so rusty after all these years!).

Too long since I've been to Quebec. I have a craving for some good tortiere and tarte au sucre.

I like the artists in Rue de Tresor.

Okay, I know this is a tourist trap down the alley almost opposite the Chateau Frontenac, but I still like it.

I'm with you, Just Enough. In fact, I was there just last week and picked up a beautiful print that reminded me of a special place I visited that day. Quite a bargain, too. :)

We went last year.Stopped into a little jewelry shop on the street at the bottom of the funicular. beautiful expensive modern art jewelry in gold and platinum. In the corner there was seperate case with the same lovely jewely in the more affordable metals. I bought a beautiful pendant of copper and aluminum. very affordable. Wear it all the time and always get compliments. It was the only thing we bought other than a hot chocolate in quebec and it's one of my favorite pieces of jewelry.

Archived