Just got back from Holiday...Cozumel/Calica

We went to Chankanaab Beach in Cozumel and took an amazing Edventure Tour in Calica (this included Tulum, and Akumal).

Anyone have questions? I would love to talk about any of it. I will be posting a review of it on here as well. But if you have specific questions, ask away!

SunnyD

:)

We went to Chankanaab Beach in Cozumel and took an amazing Edventure Tour in Calica (this included Tulum, and Akumal).

Anyone have questions? I would love to talk about any of it. I will be posting a review of it on here as well. But if you have specific questions, ask away!

SunnyD

:)

What all did your tour with Eadventure include? I received an email from them listing what they offer, but we can't decide what to do - we want to do it all, but we aren't sure if we'd have time (in port 7am-5pm). They mentioned snorkeling in the cave, turtles and a lagoon. As well as zipline, Tulum and lunch/dinner.

Tiger,

We had the same problem deciding what to do! We finally decided to eat our authentic mexican food at the other port and bring our lunch on our edventure tour so we could do everything. It turned out to be a great idea.

We brought with us the little personal size soft sided lunch coolers and ordered room service (sandwiches, fruit, chips, cookies, ice and bottled water) and packed our lunch before we got off the boat. There were 7 of us and we brought 6 lunch coolers (oh we brought some ziploc bags too for the ice) and packed them each full of food.

The drive to Tulum is 45 mins. Tulum was SO hot and...somewhat miserable. After that some of us needed a snack so we just pulled out our coolers and had a bite on the way to the cenotes. (Don't miss these, they were really neat!!) From there we went to Akumal and had a snack on the ride there as well. Swimming with the turtles was awesome! When we were there we saw the hugest school of fish, like a black cloud. There were barracudas swimming around it picking them off. It was SO COOL. I felt like I was on the discovery channel or something. :) Then we went to the zipline....yep snack on the way there too. The zipline was fun, I got eaten by mosquitos (but I always do). From there we went to the lagoon (yep, snack on the way) which was also very neat. That day it had rained and the mangroves were leaking into the lagoon which made it more cloudy than usual, but we still enjoyed it.

So we got to do everything and didn't "waste" any time eating. This worked well for us. I would have liked to eat and one of the restaurants with the swings, but I am glad we chose this option because I wouldn't have wanted to miss any of it!

Ed, Bonnie and Carlos (our driver) were great at taking care of us and telling us about some history of the Mayans as well as information about the land etc. They had a cooler of beer, water and sodas free and available for us at all times. They were great. I would go on another tour with them in a heartbeat.

Let me know if I missed anything you want to know about. This was the best day of our cruise!

SunnyD

P.S.- We were only in port from 7 to 5pm as well. Ed told us we would have to leave out one thing. So we left out lunch!

Snorkeling in caves = cenotes

Sounds like a lot of fun! So did you drive to meet them or did you have them pick you up at the port. What time did you get started and when did you get back to the pier? We're you rushed at all? Did you get to spend any time at Tulum? So it's okay to take food off the ship?

Thank you again for the information. ;)

Yes it was fun!

Carlos was waiting with a sign that said our name as soon as we stepped off the boat at the pier. We did not feel any rush during the day, and spent as much time at each place as we wanted. I think we got back to the pier about 4pm. Then we shopped at the little stands for awhile before getting on the boat. I think we met Carlos at the pier a little before 8am.

Yes we spent awhile at Tulum. The ruins were pretty neat, but most of us had seen other ruins before that were much bigger (Honduras and Costa Rica). They were still neat, I think we would have been able to enjoy them more if it weren't SO hot. I knew it would be hot from other posts I read on here, and it def was. No breeze and no shade. Oh yeah, and we did not take the guided tour. That would have taken alot longer. If that is something you are interested in, you might have to still leave out lunch and another event. Talk to Ed about it, he will know. But it looked like the guided tour took at least 11/2 hours to 2 hours and we probably only spent 1 hour there.

Yes you can take food off the ship. They never scan what you take off, just your sail n sign card (ID). But they always scan what you bring back on the ship. No food allowed then!

It's my pleasure. I can't wait to go again. I need to book another cruise so I have one to look forward to!

Sunny

• 6 months later...

We will be going on our Edventures excursion in March. It is our first cruise and I have no idea whom and what to tip. We will be going to Tulum, cenotes, sea turtles, lunch and cliff diving. Can anyone give me some tip guidelines and how much to tip?

We will be going on our Edventures excursion in March. It is our first cruise and I have no idea whom and what to tip. We will be going to Tulum, cenotes, sea turtles, lunch and cliff diving. Can anyone give me some tip guidelines and how much to tip?

We're going in March, too, (3/27) and I was wondering the same thing? Also, when you were at the cenotes and snorkeling with the sea turtles, were there many other people there?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We're going on our honey moon on the Holiday March 24. We wanted to tour the Mayan ruins, too. I noticed two options: by horse or by bus. Which option is better? We like horseback riding, but we don't know what to expect on this tour.

• 3 weeks later...

We are going on this cruise October 6th. Does Holiday dock, or tender at Calica? I have read on other threads that some ships' tenders dock in Playa del Carmen. I am kind of hoping Holiday might be one of them. I have been on the Holiday twice, but both times were to Costa Maya.

Bill

We are going on this cruise October 6th. Does Holiday dock, or tender at Calica? I have read on other threads that some ships' tenders dock in Playa del Carmen. I am kind of hoping Holiday might be one of them. I have been on the Holiday twice, but both times were to Costa Maya.

Bill

We docked in Calica last Dec. It is a $10 taxi ride to PDC.

Archived