Help!!!! Info Needed Re Atlantic Crossing In Sept.

C-Board

I am considering a cruise from London/British Isles then crossing the Atlantic to Newfoundland ending at Boston in Sept/08. Is there anyone out there who can give me the scoop on the weather in western Europe and/or the Atlantic crossing in Sept. I have heard this is hurricane season and am scared "bleepless" after being caught in the Hurricane Frances waves!!! I didn't know the NW Atlantic had hurricanes, so please if you can enlighten me. Unfortuneatly this is a one time itinery. Thks for any info you can give me.

Sorry, can't help you with the weather, but we have a thread going for this cruise and you should pop in and ask there. Several seasoned cruisers there who have done the TA in September. Come join us...we have a fabulous group of people. This is my sister and my first TA and we are really excited, such a great itinerary!

After doing one crossing in September, almost the exact itinerary you're doing, I vowed not to do a crossing again in that area. We got hit by a hurricane that veered north, as quite a few hurricanes tend to do in Sept and Oct, and we had waves of over 40ft. The waves broke windows in some of the cabins and the metal door to the front jacuzzi was crushed by the waves. Now, realize the chances of this happening to you is small, you have to be aware that at that time of year, those hurricanes can, and do, go up the coast and make crossings at that time of year dicey.

I am considering a cruise from London/British Isles then crossing the Atlantic to Newfoundland ending at Boston in Sept/08. Is there anyone out there who can give me the scoop on the weather in western Europe and/or the Atlantic crossing in Sept. I have heard this is hurricane season and am scared "bleepless" after being caught in the Hurricane Frances waves!!! I didn't know the NW Atlantic had hurricanes, so please if you can enlighten me. Unfortuneatly this is a one time itinery. Thks for any info you can give me.

Well first off if you are scared of cruising into a storm I wouldn't suggest taking the transatlantic. A cruise vacation is supposed to be enjoyable and if running into some rough weather will ruin your vacation I think something land based would be a much better idea. We've experienced storms at various times of year but never let it ruin our vacation or even worried about it. If it happens, it happens. So be it.

What we have learned over the years is that the extent of choppy seas can easily vary by voyage. And as we all know weather varies all of the time.

Likely you will experience some rough seas. Might be none, might be for a few hours on one day, or it might be more. So, come prepared for that if you get motion sickness.

On the days you are at sea it will likly be cool on deck and some of the ports can be quite cool and rainy. So, bring a waterproof jacket, a fleece, waterproof pants, a sweater and also be prepared to layer clothes as it might turn out to be sunny and wamer than normal.

Keith

Archived