Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Both of my Service Dogs have been exposed to the worst of sea conditions on their cruises and neither one got sea sick ever. But I have heard of dogs that do get car and sea sick. There is definitely motion sickness meds for dogs. CCI, during their training sessions, will pull pups out of the program if motion sickness is a big issue for them.

Oceanwench, thanks for the update on Cindy. I do miss her!

She loved all the petting and attention, and for me it was a training opportunity for a more controlled sit and "Say Hello." I think she liked sniffing the sea air and new smells at the ports.

Her favorite part though was riding in the back of a convertible - like a high school homecoming queen in a parade - between the two of us on St. Croix all day.

Ah, yes, my girl loves sniffing the air, especially when it is windy - and it is windy on a moving cruise ship!

The convertible sounds like fun!

Quam, seriously.........for someone who's dog is fighting cancer, to be so cavalier about vaccinating properly.....be careful what you recommend for others to do. At the very least, please recommend that they speak with their Vet about this. before suggesting they NOT GET VACCINATED!!!! If you have ever witnessed a dog who was not protected by this vaccine get deathly ill you would not be so adverse to it!!!!!!

ALWAYS speak to your Vet about the best thing to do for your dog. They know best how to care and treat your treasured possession!

Your reply makes no sense, since over vaccinating could lead to cancer. Again, the vaccine only offers a little protection and is not really recommended anymore. If you must give it because of doggy daycare requirements or import requirements, give the nasal spray and never the shot version.

Do not just speak to your vet, but do your research, just as you do with your own health. Not all vets keep up with the "latest" (years old, not just months old) research and information and many vets push vaccinations (even yearly ones still) because of the money or perks from using them. Not all vets have your animals' best interest in mind or as the first priority, sadly. But, same goes for doctors for humans, so I guess it isn't too surprising.

On about the fourth day of one of our cruises I was asked that question for about the tenth time that day. So just for the heck of it I told the guy that Orson was "potty trained" but there was a problem. When he asked me what the problem was I told him that there was no urinal in our cabin. After I saw the look on this poor guys face, I told him I was kidding and told him the truth. But it was great to do! :D

Oh, that's just hysterical!!!! :D

I just typed a long post and when I tried to post it, I got an error page and everything got lost!! :mad: I am not going to rewrite it now, but maybe will try later. It was in reply to tvaud's post.

The only other thing I wanted to post tonight was that it is terrible the fakers are becoming more common on cruises!!! That is truly maddening!!!

To those of you who bring a dog first aid kit, what items do you include?

Also, do any of you dress your dogs for formal nights? I was reading an article about cruising with your service dog, and the author included a formal ship's photo of their working pooch in a tux. What are your feelings on this subject?

Cindra

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Also, do any of you dress your dogs for formal nights? I was reading an article about cruising with your service dog, and the author included a formal ship's photo of their working pooch in a tux. What are your feelings on this subject?

Cindra

You mean like this?

MickeyampOrson.jpg

Yes. Is this your dog?

I would love to see everyone's dog formally attired...if you have pics. I think it is so cute. Working dogs can be fashionistas too, right?

Cindra

Edited by tvaud

Cindra

I was a bit leery about dressing Brenda when we started cruising with her in 2002 but I found some really cute collars and I couldn't resist making her look pretty. I played it by ear to see how the public would react and some people thought she was so pretty and others paid no attention!

I soon realized that as long as my dog was ALWAYS on her best behavior that making her look pretty had NOTHING to do with the job that she performed and I didn't need to be so sensitive about it.

Now, I'm so much braver and smarter and Horton doesn't miss a formal night with his Tux [which looks very much like Orson's] from Auntie Cindy.

See Horton's picture, in the bottom of the page, he's wearing a fancy collar and has one for every cruising day onboard. Why not?

I always bring Horton's brush, tooth brush/paste, doggie nail clippers, pre-bagged dog kibble [i pre-squirt salmon oil in each bag], ear medication, cotton balls, antibiotic cream, Benadryl liquid or capsules, Visine eye drops, CET Virbac Chews, a few new dog toys, water/food bowl, [i carry a collapsible water bowl in my purse], extra dog leash, fancy dog collars. A recent picture of Horton, copies of all his paperwork. [He has his own suit case.]

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I was a bit leery about dressing Brenda when we started cruising with her in 2002 but I found some really cute collars and I couldn't resist making her look pretty. I played it by ear to see how the public would react and some people thought she was so pretty and others paid no attention!

I soon realized that as long as my dog was ALWAYS on her best behavior that making her look pretty had NOTHING to do with the job that she performed and I didn't need to be so sensitive about it.

Now, I'm so much braver and smarter and Horton doesn't miss a formal night with his Tux [which looks very much like Orson's] from Auntie Cindy.

See Horton's picture, in the bottom of the page, he's wearing a fancy collar and has one for every cruising day onboard. Why not?

I always bring Horton's brush, tooth brush/paste, doggie nail clippers, pre-bagged dog kibble [i pre-squirt salmon oil in each bag], ear medication, cotton balls, antibiotic cream, Benadryl liquid or capsules, Visine eye drops, CET Virbac Chews, a few new dog toys, water/food bowl, [i carry a collapsible water bowl in my purse], extra dog leash, fancy dog collars. A recent picture of Horton, copies of all his paperwork. [He has his own suit case.]

Roz,

Thank you for reassuring me that it's ok to dress the dog too. I so look forward to dressing for dinner and I wanted to include Pedro as well. He also has his own suitcase. So far, it's filled with his lifejacket, a coat, a raincoat, a few sweaters and shirts, a collapsible water bottle, travel food bowls, nail clippers and a brush. Cotton balls, antibiotic cream, Visine, and benadryl are usually in my bag, so I guess I'm covered there. Pedro doesn't care for treats and doesn't bother with toys...I know, strange...so I don't have to pack those items. His trainer told us that the only thing Pedro responded to was love. And, he is definitely a love bug.

I'm curious, what is the salmon oil in the kibble bags for?

Cindra

Pedro had his first of two vet visits for the cruise. Our vet was very up to date on everything we needed and that I had discussed with his assistant. When I asked about over vaccinating, he said it was a moot point. He said it's what is required and all the discussion in the world isn't going to change it. He had to get it. Pedro hardly flinched for the blood draw...but he did wince about five seconds after the microchip was inserted. Delayed reaction? The rabies shot got a whimper out of him. The next visit is four days before we leave, when he will get his booster shots and the certificate. The following day we have our appointment at the USDA office.

Since he was such a good boy today, I treated him to some frozen custard. The best frozen custard stand is just down the street from the vet's office. Pedro loves their vanilla twist almost as much as I did. At first, he wasn't interested, but then I put a dab on his nose. Once he tasted it, he picked up his head and went to town on the cone. I should just get him his own little cup next time.

Now that he's been home a few hours, he's seems a bit listless. I'm sure it's from the vaccinations. I'm hoping to see that tail up and waggling tomorrow.

Cindra

It's been so long since I've been around! Loving the photos and tips (had to play a bit of catch up). Since I last was here, so much has changed. I recently acquired a psychiatric service dog (my golden Disney) for PTSD and anxiety and she has been a god send. We are cruising later this year and am a bit nervous about taking her but glad this forum is here.

I did have a somewhat unrelated topic. Being that I have Disney as my SD now, the doctor has a note for me describing why I need her, I have an interesting situation. I am going out of town for work in February and we have one girl who is allergic to dogs on staff and my office manager flipped out about me even bringing her in the building. I work in an orthodontist office and even some of my co workers had said that it would be rather odd and make patients uncomfortable if I had her. Any suggestions on what I could do? Sorry for the off topic post but it had been wracking me all day

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/bstocksd/OurTripToTheSymphony011_zps9f8532cb.jpg

Mayor of Lurkerville checking in! Here are Diana and her service dog Gibson at the symphony last year. (We haven't been on a cruise.) Gibson has been to the symphony two more times since this photo. He is totally cool about dressing for the occasion.

Thanks!

Beckie

It's been so long since I've been around! Loving the photos and tips (had to play a bit of catch up). Since I last was here, so much has changed. I recently acquired a psychiatric service dog (my golden Disney) for PTSD and anxiety and she has been a god send. We are cruising later this year and am a bit nervous about taking her but glad this forum is here.

I did have a somewhat unrelated topic. Being that I have Disney as my SD now, the doctor has a note for me describing why I need her, I have an interesting situation. I am going out of town for work in February and we have one girl who is allergic to dogs on staff and my office manager flipped out about me even bringing her in the building. I work in an orthodontist office and even some of my co workers had said that it would be rather odd and make patients uncomfortable if I had her. Any suggestions on what I could do? Sorry for the off topic post but it had been wracking me all day

You will hear from Roz on this topic for sure! She takes Horton to the office with her every day, he even has his own ID tag. Don't worry, your service dog is part of you now. Your office manager's reaction was inappropriate to say the least. Anything you need to ask on this forum about service dogs will be cheerfully answered by our eclectic group.

Thanks!

Beckie

If you have a Service Dog recognized as such by the ADA (and I am sure you do reading your sig...) then your office manager was not only out of line but in violation of the ADA.

As another poster mentioned...Roz will be weighing in on this one, as well as Caribbean Chris, Disney Kids Dad and others.

Your co-worker's allergy is their disability, not yours. They can remove themselves from the dog, you can't. Your service dog is considered as medical equipment same as someone's wheelchair. Do not let someone elses issues interfere with your quality of life. And I do believe this is how the ADA handles this issue.

Roz,

Thank you for reassuring me that it's ok to dress the dog too. I so look forward to dressing for dinner and I wanted to include Pedro as well. He also has his own suitcase. So far, it's filled with his lifejacket, a coat, a raincoat, a few sweaters and shirts, a collapsible water bottle, travel food bowls, nail clippers and a brush. Cotton balls, antibiotic cream, Visine, and benadryl are usually in my bag, so I guess I'm covered there. Pedro doesn't care for treats and doesn't bother with toys...I know, strange...so I don't have to pack those items. His trainer told us that the only thing Pedro responded to was love. And, he is definitely a love bug.

I'm curious, what is the salmon oil in the kibble bags for?

Cindra

Brenda took the capsules [Horton refuses to take them, so I started the liquid with him.] Pure Alaskan Salmon oil for dry skin/silky coat/healthy nails/bones and heart. I use the Salmon Oil [purchased from Entirely Pets.com] since I got Brenda in 2002. My dogs have NEVER suffered with hair/skin/nail problems and I'm hoping that it also has helped with maintaining a healthy heart.

Just like glucosamine/chondroitin is part of Horton's daily breakfast routine so is the three squirts of Salmon Oil for breakfast and three for lunch. Horton's a big dog so a little dog would need less. But, if you have questions about giving it to Pedro ask your Vet about it.

First, Congratulations on getting Disney [what a fabulous name]. Your life will be so much better!

I work for a private huge non-profit agency and when I got Brenda in 2002.....Don't ask! The Manager, at the time, made my life miserable [she has since passed away!] She wanted Brenda to be tethered to my desk. She didn't want her to be fed at work and every time Brenda saw her she wanted to walk on the complete opposite side of the office [dogs know bad people when they see them.] CCI had to call my manager and tell her to "back-off" because I had legal rights, thereby giving Brenda rights too! And, as long as we were respecting others and Brenda was well behaved EVERYONE had to get used to her being around. I wasn't going to quit. NO WAY!!!!

I still work for the same company and the folks who were fearful and allergic to Brenda are now in love with Horton.

I take Horton into my Orthodontists office, into my OB/GYN's office and the dermatologists office, etc. and I lay him in the corner opposite my exam chair and once he's in a "down/stay" he doesn't move until I give him the command to.

The public being allergic to dogs is a tough one....I know, I've had to deal with lots of people who tell me this. I let them know that Horton is well groomed and I will stay away from them as best I can. I hate to say it's "too bad" about the allergies but I do understand because I, too, am allergic to dogs. I live on Benadryl and use a nasal spray as often as is necessary.

The freedom that my dog gives me far outweighs my allergies.

If Disney is fully trained and alleviates a task that you cannot perform yourself without him, you have public access and you are covered by the ADA, therefore covering Disney. Your work has no choice but to accept you and the coverage that is afforded to you and Disney by the ADA. If necessary, go online and print the public access laws and politely lay them on your "flipped-out" managers desk. Also, let the allergic employee stay away from Disney. And, promise that you will do your best to keep Disney away from her. Being kind and ALWAYS keeping Disney at his best behavior will go a long way with everyone!

I promise you the patients will love Disney and those that don't can avoid him and you them.

Your life with Disney is yours. Stand tall and be proud of yourself and your amazing dog!!!!! Now, go, take on the world!!!!! ♥

After a sluggish night, Pedro seems his perky self this morning. I imagine if I was poked and prodded as much as he was yesterday, I would have been droopy too.

Cindra

Cindra, I'm so sorry that Pedro had a rough night. Most importantly, let the Vet know of his reaction and thank goodness he seems to be better today.

I interview my Vets just like I interviewed my children's Pediatrician's. If I can't completely trust them I don't use them. I make sure that my Vet keeps up with the latest in vet care, medicines and surgical techniques. I like when my Vet tells me that he attends seminars and updates his CV as often as he can and also brings in PA's and interns who keep up with the latest in Vet care themselves.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/bstocksd/OurTripToTheSymphony011_zps9f8532cb.jpg

Mayor of Lurkerville checking in! Here are Diana and her service dog Gibson at the symphony last year. (We haven't been on a cruise.) Gibson has been to the symphony two more times since this photo. He is totally cool about dressing for the occasion.

Thanks!

Beckie

Beckie, I loved the pictures. Gibson, reminds me so much of Brenda.

You must be so proud of Diana and Gibson. I can't wait for all of you to venture out and try cruising.

Thank you guys so much! I'm feeling much better about it. Honestly, it's true. Its unfortunate that situations are handled this way.

I'm thrilled that you and Disney are venturing out. Keep it up! You've got not only the ADA but you've got ALL OF US!!!!!

And, careful, because when DKD finds out your dogs name......You will be needing an armed guard when you travel. :(

Edited by wizard-of-roz