What ports require a Passport?

cmez

Barbados does not require a passport at this time for cruiseship passengers who are in transit, in other words, merely visiting for a few hours. If you embark or disembark in Barbados then a passport is required. I have a feeling that sooner if not later a passport will be required for all US citizens traveling outside the country. I would suggest you look into getting one as the price, when broken down by the number of years for which it is good, is not really that substantial. Plus it will make traveling much easier. :)

I agree, a passport is the best ID document for all occasions. People have had all sorts of problems with birth certificates (every state and decade has different standards). I have yet to hear of a problem with a valid passport. Most countries are requiring passports now and a passport assures that re-entry into the USA goes smoothly.

You do not need a passport at any port. You will only need your passport to get on the ship. I never was asked for ID getting off the ship. When we got off to visit other ports, we had a sign and sail card, DL, credit card and some spending cash, passport was in my room safe.

Most, if not all countries that any ship visits, requires a passport. However, the cruiselines have agreements in place that allow one day ship passengers a visit without a passport.

Should you get injured or broken down and miss your ship, you will need a passport then. Just about everywhere.

Dan

Archived