Vancouver/US Direct/connection???

kayguz

Help! I've been reading thru all the threads I can find (and the Vancouver airport links) regarding U.S. Direct program. I need some clarification and maybe someone here can provide it for me. Princess CSR is saying that Delta participates and that I need to purchase, prior to embarkation thru my TA, a Princess transfer. I will then be able to sign up for the US Direct program onboard during the cruise. I understand that part and hope the CSR knows what she is talking about.

Here's the big pickle: we have a 42 minute connection in Salt Lake City (my FIL has one in SFO with same issues)- do we have to retrieve our luggage in SLC and go thru customs in SLC and then recheck them? If I understand what I've read, we should not, but I can't get any clarification (Delta rep can't seem to answer that one either.) If we don't have to recheck the bags, we might make the connection-- if we do, then I need to rebook for the lovely redeye with the 8 hr connection. (Thank you Delta for cancelling the nonstop to ATL:mad: )

If we don't need to claim/recheck, how do the airlines know our bags can go straight thru to connecting flight if they came in off an international one? On the same line, what about us- do we have to go thru customs or is there a special line or something?

Of course, this is the trip with both my parents and DH's parents and I'm responsible for the smooth sailing and travel.... I'd sort of wing it if it were just us, but I am a tad confused!

Thanks for any help!

When you fly out of Vancouver you go thru US Customs in Vancouver so you do not have to deal with US Customs at any of the US airports. As to the US Direct for some reason only 4 airlines have this option thru Princess. We flew Continetal which is on the US Direct list of participating airlines but was not offered on the Diamond Princess. I am sorry I don't remember which 4 airlines were included. You won't know until you get there.

Even without US Direct if you have an airport transfer your lugggage will be taken to Vancouve airport for you but you have to claim your bags there and go thru check in,security, customs, etc. This was a nightmare. It took us 3 hrs from disembarking the ship until we finally reached our waiting area at our gate.

But Alaska is incredible and well worth the aggravation at the end of the trip.

Ruth

Its really a moot point for you because Delta no longer participates in this program (according to princess at least). We were on princess last month and were told by the on-board CSR that Delta doesnt participate anymore. I said thats funny because the port of vancouver website clearly lists them as participating and I printed out the website for them. Princess told me that I was out of luck and there is nothing they could do. Apparently - continental, northwest and Delta all backed out.

This program is a joke anyways and princess is clueless to how it operates

All your luggage will be checked to your final desitination in Vancouver. You never have to leave re-check at a connection. This would cause you to leave the terminal, go to baggage claim, get your luggage, recheck it and then go back through security. That doesnt make any sense.

Just keep your transfer you bought from princess. You tag your luggage, set it outside your room on the last night and they take it directly to YVR airport. You get on your transfer bus and when it arrives at YVR you get off the bus and find your luggage in the princess area of the airport. You get your luggage, check it, go through customs and security and then thats it. You pick up your luggage in your final airport.

We had an 12:00 flight to ATL on Delta and we were in the airport at our gate by 9:45am WITHOUT using USDIRECT. It was a pretty painless process. Just make sure you get RED tags if you have an early flight

Its really a moot point for you because Delta no longer participates in this program (according to princess at least). We were on princess last month and were told by the on-board CSR that Delta doesnt participate anymore. I said thats funny because the port of vancouver website clearly lists them as participating and I printed out the website for them. Princess told me that I was out of luck and there is nothing they could do. Apparently - continental, northwest and Delta all backed out.

This program is a joke anyways and princess is clueless to how it operates

I had read previously that continental does not participate in this program but when I called my cruise line (Celebrity) they said that is not true. I am kind of leary about putting my bags out the night before debarking and never seeing them again until I reach my destination. I think I prefer to pick them up in the terminal, drag them through customs and rest assured that they are on the same plane as I am. I'd be curious to hear from people who have successfully used it.

Thank you for your help. We asked some Canadian friends of ours and they said that there is U.S. Customs in Vancouver airport--that addresses my concern of trying to do customs in SLC (the first U.S. soil we hit after being in a "foreign" country.) That makes the whole U.S. Direct issue moot as we will just keep our transfers, get the early RED tags, and go thru customs on our own with our baggage. If U.S. Direct happens to be working for our airlines, we'll consider it at that time. Our flight is just before 1pm, so I would hope we'd have plenty of time to get thru this. There is also only our ship in port that day as well.

Archived