Pre and Post Cruise packages

camstart

What have your experiences been with arranging packages through Celebrity? On our last cruise we did our own arrangements and probably spent more on transportation and hotel than if we had gone with the cruise company's package. (and the hotel we ended up with had no air conditioning for four nights on 90 degree weather in london!) We will be going on a New Zealand, Australia cruise next februrary and are planning a post cruise package in Auckland. Any comments welcome.

I always shop around. Sometimes the cruise line's pre- or post- packages are less expensive than if you get your own, sometimes not. For instance, I was taking an Alaska cruise and really wanted to stay pre-cruise at a particular hotel. When I checked that hotel's web site, it was sold out. But Celebrity had a block of rooms there, so I could get into the hotel that I really wanted via the pre-cruise package.

Similarly, I wanted a pre-cruise package for a Caribbean cruise. I looked on the hotel's web site and was crestfallen at the price. Then I looked on Celebrity's site, and the price was about $80 lower than if I booked on the web site.

There have also been times when the pre-cruise package was substantially more expensive than what I could get on my own (and that doesn't even taken into account using a service like Priceline).

So, shop around. Find the deal that is best for you and your own circumstances. Ask about amenities that are important to you, like air conditioning.

There are many nice places to stay in Auckland, last time I was there I was at the Hyatt. My favorite hotel there, though, is the Hilton that is right down on the water, on a pier right near the ferry terminal.

Thanks for your input!

The celebrity package is at the Hilton. It's pricey, but i noticed on the Hilton Web they have several different types of rooms, the most expensive of course being ocean views. Does celebrity book you in the cheapest rooms possible, or perhaps given the significant price difference, at least book you into an ocean view room.

I have no idea about which room you will get. You could try calling Celebrity to see if they know.

By the way, Auckland is so pretty that it almost doesn't matter if you get a city view, a bay view, or an ocean view. The hotel is on a pier, so the city view rooms look back across to downtown (which is hilly and has some cool architecture). Then there are some that look north toward the bridge and countryside, some that look south along Auckland's port and have a view of the ferry terminal, and some at the end of the pier that look east across the bay (and I assume the "ocean", but really I don't see how they get "ocean view" at that hotel). So if it were me, I'd take the least expensive option.

HI Leela

You said you got the price from Celebrity's web site? Did I read that wrong? I wanted to check their prices out for next March but thought we had to call to get prices. At least that's what we were told last time.

We usually do our own pre and post but have seriously considered Celebrity's since we'll be in San Juan at Easter and they probably have better hotels and deals.

Thanks for any input.

Pat

I always book my cruises through Celebrity, so I can look at all that stuff online by logging into my reservation in the "My Celebrity" part of their web site.

I guess if you booked through a travel agent you have to call.

once again, thanks for your input. When we booked this cruise we went ahead and booked airfare, thinking we could cancel if a better deal came up. So far it hasn't, and in fact it's significantly higher than what celebrity quoted. So, if we decide to spend an extra two nights in Auckland (and it sounds like we would want to based on your input!), this would entail a deviation fee, unless we book the post cruise package through celebrity.

I've looked at the pictures of the Hilton, and it looks amazing!

Hi Camstart,

We made the Australia/New Zealand cruise with RCI a few years ago while doing our own pre and post cruise arrangements. I found that there was a great deal of information about Aukland and Sidney on the internet, and we were able to get excellent accomodations at both ends of our cruise for a very reasonable price. When we compared our costs with the with the cruise line packages, we saved about 60% and had a much better location in Aukland.

To begin with the transfers, you will find that a taxi for two will probably be cheaper than the package transfers, and there is no waiting for the bus to fill up, or waiting for your baggage after you arrive at the hotel. From the time we left the terminal from the Aukland airport we were in our room within 45 minutes. Our hotel was on the water front, and we were able to have coffee on our balcony and watch the ship dock a block away the morning of our departure.

We spent a lot of time aquainting ourselves with the layout of the cities, and deciding on the locations that would offer us the most convenience in seeing the city sights we found most interesting. After deciding on a location we then made our hotel selections. We also used taxis to travel to our hotel and the airport in Sidney. It will help you a great deal to spend the time acquainting yourself with the cities you will be staying, and seeing what the costs of your hotel and transportation are in comparison with the Celebrity package. That way you can compare the costs, and decide which option is most covenient for what you want to accomplish during your stay. Either way you are going to have a great vacation, that is a wonderful itinerary.

Petert

Archived