Summer South American Cruises?

doch18

Other than the cruises to the Galapogos Islands, are there any cruises that visit South America during the end of May, June, or July? I'm relatively new to cruising (only two thus far), and I'm really striking out on my searches. I realize those are the winter months for the Southern Hemisphere, but I thought I might find something in Argentina or Northern South America. Thanks for any help.

Other than the cruises to the Galapogos Islands, are there any cruises that visit South America during the end of May, June, or July? I'm relatively new to cruising (only two thus far), and I'm really striking out on my searches. I realize those are the winter months for the Southern Hemisphere, but I thought I might find something in Argentina or Northern South America. Thanks for any help.

Not a cruise ship, but a very interesting trip. You can go one way only as well as RT. Freighter travels RT East Coast-USA to West Coast/South America every 6 weeks. http://www.freighterworld.com/places/wcsa.html#HBCSAVHamburgo

I took a container ship from Chile to Philadelphia. I am in the global logistics business and on the container ship were 55 containers of Thompson seedless grapes that I was directly responsible for. VERY, VERY different than a cruise ship and one of the few ways you would be able to go to South America in the summer time.

There is not much going on in the way of cruising in South America in the Northern Hemisphere Summer. The larger cruise ships that go there tend to be European companies giving their ships something to do during the long European winter, they being unable to compete with the Amercian lines on the Caribbean routes. Both Costa and MSC have been very successful in Brazil in the last few years since the American companies pulled out in 2001. So successful, in fact, that the American companies are now coming back to South America in force.

There is a Brazilian TA company called CVC that runs a series of cruise ships during the "season" that they lease just for those few months from the Spanish group, Pullmantur (now owned by Royal Caribbean). Apart from the "Pullmantur" ships, thay also have a ship called Pacific (see photo) that, last year at least, had an all-year itinerary in the north-east of Brazil, calling at the tropical paradise islands of Fernando da Noronha for two days and at the ports of Recife, Natal and Fortaleza. They also have a river cruiser all year in the Amazon. (see photo).

For Argentina and Chile, the weather is just too cold for any cruise to be pleasant at that time of year.

Pacific.jpg.0f803dbc5dfd8460a9f48a8b2f90e4ba.jpg

677668321_GrandAmazon.jpg.b21b2c899ce8e0ae237a7a094b2965f3.jpg

Correction to previous posting. The Pacific is also part of the Pullmantur empire and this year will be running 7 night cruises out of Valencia. The Fernando de Noronha cruises only start on 16th October and run until March 2008. Sorry.

Mines -- An excellent post. When I went to the Brazilian agency's web site, I saw that they apparently also charter Celebrity's old Zenith.

Not that this is during North America's summer, but this one fascinates me. Any comments?

Coastal Cruises 13 Days • Royal Caribbean Int. • Radiance of the Seas

Day Date Port Arrive Depart

1 Sat, Feb 28 Buenos Aires 9:00 P

2 Sun, Mar 1 Montevideo 10:00 A 7:00 P

3 Mon, Mar 2 Punta del Este 7:00 A 6:00 P

4 Tue, Mar 3 At Sea

5 Wed, Mar 4 Florianopolis 7:00 A 5:00 P

6 Thu, Mar 5 At Sea

7 Fri, Mar 6 Vitoria 7:00 A 5:00 P

8 Sat, Mar 7 Salvador 12:00 P 8:00 P

9 Sun, Mar 8 Ilheus

10 Mon, Mar 9 At Sea 7:00 A 5:00 P

11 Tue, Mar 10 Buzios 12:00 P 11:00 P

12 Wed, Mar 11 Rio de Janeiro 7:00 A

13 Thu, Mar 12 Rio de Janeiro 3:00 P

14 Fri, Mar 13 Santos 4:00 A

Mines -- An excellent post. When I went to the Brazilian agency's web site, I saw that they apparently also charter Celebrity's old Zenith.

Not that this is during North America's summer, but this one fascinates me. Any comments?

Coastal Cruises 13 Days • Royal Caribbean Int. • Radiance of the Seas

Day Date Port Arrive Depart

1 Sat, Feb 28 Buenos Aires 9:00 P

2 Sun, Mar 1 Montevideo 10:00 A 7:00 P

3 Mon, Mar 2 Punta del Este 7:00 A 6:00 P

4 Tue, Mar 3 At Sea

5 Wed, Mar 4 Florianopolis 7:00 A 5:00 P

6 Thu, Mar 5 At Sea

7 Fri, Mar 6 Vitoria 7:00 A 5:00 P

8 Sat, Mar 7 Salvador 12:00 P 8:00 P

9 Sun, Mar 8 Ilheus

10 Mon, Mar 9 At Sea 7:00 A 5:00 P

11 Tue, Mar 10 Buzios 12:00 P 11:00 P

12 Wed, Mar 11 Rio de Janeiro 7:00 A

13 Thu, Mar 12 Rio de Janeiro 3:00 P

14 Fri, Mar 13 Santos 4:00 A

Yes, Celebrity's old Zenith will be in South America in 2007/08 for CVC. http://www.cvc.com.br/site/_destinos/conteudo.jsf?codigoIdioma=1&codigoDestinoTuristico=134

The cruise you have mentioned is Radiance of the Seas in 2009!! And what a wonderful itinerary this is!! It seems that Royal Caribbean will be sending Radiance to join Splendour of the Seas in 2008/08 in South America. This area is now taking over from Alaska as the fastest expanding cruise market. We do live in exiting times, don't we.

Archived