Experienced Med. travelers - question re: attire

I am trying to figure out what to pack... :confused: and I must ask.... which port, if any, can we really get away with wearing shorts. I am the type that would go into churches, etc.

So.. really ... is my boyfriend going to kill me when I tell him that he has to wear pants on port days?:eek:

Any help is much appreciated!!!

We aren't experienced European tourist, but here's our experience. My husband wears shorts all the time due to health reasons (long story, won't go there), so I got him some of those pants that zip off to become shorts. I wore skirts, so I didn't have to worry about what kind of restrooms we happened into. The skirts did cover my knees in case I wanted to go into a church. I felt very comfortable. I don't wear sleeveless, but if you do, carry a light shirt or scarf to cover your shoulders. I know a lot of people say you want to look like a native, but we were tourist and there's not much getting around it. Although when we were in Barcelona, we were asked to give directions and menus that weren't English, so I guess we fooled a couple of people. Have a great time!

Where ever you want to visit a church, shorts will not be appropriate. It is true: Almost everywhere there are people who try to get in with shorts or bare shoulders and some are successful. Especially of course if one is visiting smaller churches who do not have a custodian and one "just" insults the church goers. Yet, this does not make it the expected respectful attire.

Shorts are fine eg. for visiting Pompeji.

While in all the touristy cities you will see tourist wearing all kind of clothes, local Italiens, Spanish or Greeks will make a huge difference between beach or resort wear and city wear.

We just returned and I wore capris in every port and entered churches and museums. In one cathedral in Florence, I saw that several women were issued paper wraps to cover their shorts. Shirts with sleeves were required everywhere.

My husband wore docker shorts every day. He took light weight nylon sweat pants to slip over the shorts when we went on excursions. They were only needed at the Vatican. Our Italian guides said that our clothing was appropriate. Everyone looked like tourists everywhere we went! Lots of European and Japanese tourists on vacation too dressed just like we do here in the states. It was very warm and humid so as long at the shorts aren't too short and there aren't any tank tops without overshirts, you will be fine.

Archived