Carnival Spirit 8 Day cruise Mexican Rivera

memixer

I have been on the NCL Wind (old ship) and the other ships have been Celebrity. This will be my first time on a Carnival boat. Going in November. Can anyone tell me if they have laundry facilities on the boat (Do it yourself)? I will be leaving Nov. 9th-17th. Thanks so much for any input. Will be me and my mother (our husband's don't like to travel as much as we do.:-)

I am interested in the in-expensive Day Spa stuff too.

We will be going to San Diego a day before.. not sure what we will do yet as the plane arrives in the early afternoon. Any suggestions for a pre-cruise adventure for 2 ladies?

I've never been on the Spirit, but my "guess" is that the set up will be like the Pride. Here is the sign on laundry facilities on the Pride:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/151765412/151772357BEMPYz

Please do an extensive review when you return from your cruise. I will be on the Spirit to the Mexican Riviera in January 2006.

Yes I found out from other boards here that they do have laundry facilities. I was seeing more than normal complaints about the boarding delays in San Diego. Guess that won't be too bad since we will be there a day before the ship leaves and we will need wheelchair assistance. Does anyone have any preferred hotel they stayed at in San Diego Pre-cruise? I was thinking of the Bay Club hotel on the water.

Yo memixer-

Just to let you know - and please don't take offense - Cruise ships are ships not boats - life boats are boats not ships - cruise ships carry life boats.........

With that out of the way - we are on the "Spirit" for the Mexican Riviera on December 11, 2004 cruise-

Which cruise are you on?

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

Yes they have the facilities and the price is I think $2.00 per load to wash and $2.00 for Dryer so bring plenty of change :) --- I'm not too sure if the Trolleys in San Diego go down to the Airport, but I'm sure there will be some sights to see around the port area that will be of interest before your cruise...Have fun!!!!

Are you a frugal person? If you are as much a tight wad as I, there is a motel in hotel circle (Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, I forgot tyhe name, do a little looking) that is a great deal.

They run around $70, walking distance to a mall with great places to eat (Cheesecake Factory, Pizzaria Uno.. there is also a Hooters) and they'll pick you for free from the airport. In fact, they can be asked to take you to other places for free as well. Check out the Zoo, or Sea World (be sure to get the free "samples" of beer!)

And, they'll probably drive you to the port for free as well.

Management is cool. They told me that that pool/jacuzzi closes at 9:00pm, but if you're quiet, they won't kick you out. I remember that they were almost across the street from the Town and Country (over priced dump).

Thank you all. I have booked a hotel on Shelter Island that offers free transport from the airport and to the Cruise Ship (I didn't use Boat this time :-).. and they serve a nice brunch/breakfast free the next am.

I am a budget traveller but I thought this would be a quiet place.. on the bay and still scenic.

Yep the Cheesecake Factory is WONDERFUL been to 3 of them so far (One in Vegas, One in the Miami area, and one in St. Louis). GREAT GREAT EVERYTIME!

I was thinking of taking the water taxi the afternoon we arrive (depending on how WORN OUT we are) over to the other side of the bay. The Taxi stops at the hotel at Shelter Island and then use one of the many food cards I have to eat dinner.

I don't have to eat fancy the night before a cruise cause we will have all we need in terms of quantity and variety on the cruise ship.

Our time will be limited so no zoo as we have to board a little after noon time the next day.

Hopefully we will figure out some 2-3 hour things to do Monday night and Tuesday Am before we go to the cruise port.

Does anyone know how early you can board? We have arrived sometimes at 10am or 11am and were able to board(not go to the room) but eat lunch on one of the decks and relax. Before we were allowed to go to our cabin.

This will be at San Diego.

• 2 months later...

I think the Shelter island location is a good choice.

If you want, take a cab over to Horton PLaza. It's got everything from Nordstroms to a Longs Drugstore...in case you forget anything. It's a short ride from where you are staying. You can probably see it from across the bay!!

There is a movie theatre there and food too.

look on the SD port website calendar and it will tell you which ships are leaving that day, may give a good idea how busy the port will be. I have heard get there around 1230 if you want to get on in the first groups.

Shelter Island is a great place to stay and there are a ton of fabulous restaurants right there. Night life is downtown San Diego in the Gaslamp (small cab fare), although it slows quite a bit on Sunday nights. Don't know what kind of fun things you two girls like, so if you tell me what your interests are, I can probably give you some better suggestions.

If you and your Mom enjoy just wandering with a little shopping mixed in you might try Seaport Village which is just down from the Gaslamp area in Downtown, or Old Town which is "Mexican flavor" history of San Diego. That may be a little different than what you get in your hometown. You might also wish to ride the ferry across the harbor to Coronado or possibly visit the Star of India on the embarcadero next to the Cruise ship terminal. This is an Old Sailing Vessel with alot of history. You can also visit Fort Rosecrans and the Lighthouse on Pt. Loma. You will also sail past this point when leaving the bay on the ship. Fort Rosecrans is of interest if you are a military family as it is a military cemetary. There is another trolley called the Old Town Trolley (I think) that is a guided tour type of trip with narratoin. This is different than the red trolleys that can be used as transportation and allows for getting on and off at different stops if you wish. Although I live in San Diego, I haven't been on it. Enjoy our lovely city and then the cruise. My family and I will sail on her for the Dec. 19th Christmas sailing. I can't wait!!

As far as the day spa, try the Alpha Capsule, it's $45 for 30 min but on port days and one of the last sea days, they do it for $30. You lay in this thing for 30 min and you feel like you've slept for a couple of hrs. You come out totally relaxed. I loved it. Chud

Shelter Island is a great place to stay and there are a ton of fabulous restaurants right there. Night life is downtown San Diego in the Gaslamp (small cab fare), although it slows quite a bit on Sunday nights. Don't know what kind of fun things you two girls like, so if you tell me what your interests are, I can probably give you some better suggestions.

Thanks for your offer I just looked back at this bboard. We like thrift store shopping and we will be there Monday afternoon through Tuesday morning. I have a cousin that works for American Airlines and lives in LA. She is going to drive down and spend the night with us there. So that solves transportation issues.

We like to shop and I would LOVe to go to Balboa Park but not sure. I think we only have to pay an extra $10.00 for her to join us there for one night at the hotel. I am SURE this is to cover any towel washing and breakfast foods.

I have a whole listing of thrift store in the San Diego area IF we get to go to a few. I am SURE I will find some neat things and might ship them back through my company FEDEX.

I am having a hard time figuring out what to do in Acupulco .. cause I am not a drinker or a party gal. I like to have fun.. and mostly avoid crowds so I might do the beach thing. I always like to find a place where the other cruisers ARE NOT .. I don't like the crowds and being hoarded to see something like the cliff divers and charges whatever it is to sit and wait and sweat on a bus.

Can any of you suggest anything for the 2nd stop XIPATHA?

We are going to get spa treatments in Manzanillo at the Karimna Palace as its much cheaper to do that there than on the ship. We don't know what to do after that.. maybe find some shops and spend time at the pool there.

Thanks for all your help.. I have been reading some GREAT suggestions as I dig more and more into the Mexican Rivera.. just hope it stops raining there on the Pacific side before I get there. HA.. leaving Nov. 9th.2004!

Archived