Transfer from Heathrow to central London by ... taxi!

I too take cabs in central London frequently - and agree that most of the cab drivers are very good. Also note that the charge for being stuck in traffic is not that high - cab drivers are incentivised to get you to your destination quickly.

If I have to travel to Heathrow from central London I don't take the tube though - I take the Heathrow Express, about £12 for a single journey I think. Easier with luggage than the tube, but it is dearer.

No.

Hotelink no longer exists. See this Wikipedia article for the company's history, and this page and this page for further confirmation that Hotelink is now known as dot2dot.

The first page you found is either an out-of-date website or a scam.

Weird. The Wikipedia article (as inaccurate as that tends to be) says National Express bought Hotelink in April, 2007 yet we used Hotelink in October 2007.

If I go to http://airport-transfer.conciergedesk.co.uk/ they still list Hotelink, but when you try to book, it books with Dot2Dot.

I think I'll take a cab. :)

Weird. The Wikipedia article (as inaccurate as that tends to be) says National Express bought Hotelink in April, 2007 yet we used Hotelink in October 2007.
Nothing weird about this at all.

National Express bought Hotelink in April 2007 and continued operating it as Hotelink.

You used it in October 2007 when it was still Hotelink.

National Express then rebranded it as dot2dot with effect from 1 November 2007 - see this article which is linked to from the Wikipedia article, which specifically says that dot2dot started on that date.

Anyway, I've now had an email back from dot2dot to confirm that https://secure.fast.net.uk/hotelink/index.html is an out-of-date webpage.

I usually travel light and take the £4 tube in from Heathrow, however, cruises require a whole lot more luggage than most people would want to schlep on the tube.

My clothes are all packed for the 13 day transatlantic inside one carry on...no one will believe I am constantly complimented on my wardrobe but we simplify our lives and also keep that large suitcase EMPTY for purchases.

And usually end up with 6 in total by the time the cruise is done...

We look forward to paying 4 GBP and taking the tube...when you know the ride in is only 4 GBP and its fast and efficient, why spend more ?

This kind of thinking lets me spend more money on things I value...so again, thats just me :)

G, I love your new signature! I thought I was the only person who thought that.

Had a bad experience with one at the weekend. First time I've had to shout at one (or, rather, its driver). < sigh > It's tourist season once more ... cue mayhem.

Do I have this right? There will be 3 of us

Taxi: from Heathrow to Hotel (Lambeth at Albert Embankment) =

60-70 pounds +/_

Express train and taxi combo to Hotel: 3 x 15 = 45 + 15+/-(taxi) = 60

So for us a taxi would be the easiest with not much of difference cost wise, correct?

As another information point, on Friday 17 April at around 9:45 am, my wife and I took a cab from Terminal 3 to the Premier Inn near Earl's Court underground station. Metered fare was GBP44 and change, and driver seemed happy with a GBP50 note (~$70). With two rollaways, a garment bag, a duffle bag, two smaller carryons and a CPAP machine (we do tend to overpack), I can't imagine undergoing the effort of using public transportation.

When I travelled frequently to London on business with a single rollaway, I used the tube and I selected hotels based on their proximity to Piccadilly Line stations. Ultimately, the decision is a triangulation of your comfort level with managing baggage, the value of the time spent in getting to the hotel, and how much money you are willing to spend.

Taxi: from Heathrow to Hotel (Lambeth at Albert Embankment) =

60-70 pounds +/_

Express train and taxi combo to Hotel: 3 x 15 = 45 + 15+/-(taxi) = 60

So for us a taxi would be the easiest with not much of difference cost wise, correct?

Providing that you can get all your luggage into one taxi, then yes.

Also, the taxi probably won't be quite as much as £60. And the Heathrow Express is now £16.50 each.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to the fastest and most reliable way to get from Heathrow to Gatwick? We will have 3 hours from the time our plane lands at Heathrow until our next flight takes off from Gatwick. We will have to collect our bags, go through customs and travel with our bags to Gatwick.

Thanks!

Does anyone have a suggestion as to the fastest and most reliable way to get from Heathrow to Gatwick? We will have 3 hours from the time our plane lands at Heathrow until our next flight takes off from Gatwick. We will have to collect our bags, go through customs and travel with our bags to Gatwick.

The M25 ring road (around London, and connecting LHR and LGW) is infamous for being a giant parking lot. It's about a 45 mile drive, often at a crawl.

First question: Are you doing this connection on one ticket, or two separate tickets?

Second question: What day of the week, and what time?

Third question: Which airlines?

The normal recommendation is to use the National Express coach transfer. But three hours is right on the published Minimum Connection Time, so you may have quite a lot of risk, especially if there is even a minor inbound delay. You may be able to tolerate more risk if you are connecting on one ticket, because you're protected against misconnection (you'll be reaccommodated on another flight). But if you're travelling on two separate tickets, the amount of risk you can take may depend on the identity of the second airline, and the likely approach they'd take to you missing the first flight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Globaliser, Thanx for the neat thread Heathrow <-> London posibillities. 2 computers ago (Yes, they crashed & I lost my address book)I believe you also posted on a flyer type board Hot something? Is it still ongoing? thanx KT

I'm sure if you look, there are websites where you find flyer talk. command google to look for it for you.

I believe you also posted on a flyer type board Hot something? Is it still ongoing?
Yes it is, although it's no longer hosted by any travel agent site and is therefore a small community who were the core of its former existence. You recall it correctly: If you Google my screen name and the word "Hot", you should find a link to where we are on Yuku.

Archived