Nervous about sailing with Celebrity

SabrinaNP

As someone who has been on several different cruiselines I think that Celebrity is one of the best cruiselines. Yes any cruiseline can have a problem like the Millennium recently did. I however was a victim of a canceled cruise of a pod problem. Because the pod problems not only affect the cruise that gets canceled due to dry dock but also the missed and shorten port times from the time the pod problems begin I think what you need to consider is when is the Millenium next due to possibly start a new pod problem cycle and then decide whether you go on the Millennium or choose another Celebrity ship or another cruiseline.

I have never been on the Millennium, it's last pod dry dock was the week of 12/10/06 and my canceled cruise, but I hear it is a wonderful ship and I am looking forward to seeing it this December from the inside instead of from the deck of another ship.

Because the pod problems not only affect the cruise that gets canceled due to dry dock but also the missed and shorten port times from the time the pod problems begin I think what you need to consider is when is the Millenium next due to possibly start a new pod problem cycle and then decide whether you go on the Millennium or choose another Celebrity ship or another cruiseline.

Great post!!!!

For those that don't know the pod cycle is typically 8 to 9 months after dry dock that the first inklings of a new problem become noticeable and then another 3 months after that for Celebrity to get the parts and arrange the dry dock.

I will never again cruise a M class ship to ports that are important to me. Our " once in a life time cruise" to Alaska was ruined on the Summit. One bad cruise that missed too many ports due to the pods. Cruising to no special ports would be ok,

We have been on two "M" class Celebrity cruises. Two summers ago, the Summit went into emergency drydock two weeks before our cruise to replace bearings on one of the pods. This summer, our Infinity cruise to Hawaii was a limp-along at reduced speed due to a pod problem. It went into drydock two weeks after our return.

Historically, three of the four "M" class ships have an emergency drydock every 12 to 15 months for a pod bearing replacement. These drydocks take a week so it normally involves cancellation of one cruise.

If your Alaskan cruise is a "once in a lifetime" thing and you do not have a flexible timetable, I would not schedule it on an "M" class ship. There are other choices.

We are retired and do not mind entering the "M" class lottery. If your cruise is cancelled before you leave home, Celebrity rewards you handsomely. If problems occur during your cruise, the reward will not cover your inconveniences.

Just my honest opinion.

Les

Thanks Larronry, Dale Jr, Renebfl, Shirley and Les for being the voice or reason on this topic.

LOL! So let me get this straight. Only people who agree with you can be considered reasonable? Nice!

We have been on three cruises aboard the Summit and one on the Mille. Our last cruise was a 13 night cruisetour on the Summit to Alaska this past May. We had no problems and loved every minute. We also did two 14 night cruises on the Summit. It's a fabulous cruiseline and the trains and hotels on the land portion are outstanding! Our cruise on the Mille was in 2001 just prior to 9/11. We did have some pod problems on the Mille which caused us to be a few hours late getting into Alexandria, Egypt but we would do it again in a heartbeat!

LOL! So let me get this straight. Only people who agree with you can be considered reasonable? Nice!

Personally I believe the point that was trying to be made is that there is a high incidence of occurence of this situation and that by properly educating yourself you can avoid placing yourself in a situation where you may be adversely effected. There are many here who simply dismiss this as typical stuff that happens on cruises which is definitely not true and very misleading. Stuff does happen but the same stuff does not happen like clockwork on other cruiselines.

The most reasonable suggestion to date is to be wary of what point in the pod cycle your cruise of interest is in and book accordingly. On the other hand if you like to play the lottery one could also book with this in mind with the hope that their cruise is cancelled and that they end up with a free cruise out of the deal.

I've said this before, but I'll repeat myself. There is no evidence that there is a "pod cycle" that can be calculated in time. Any cruise you take on an M-Class ship INCLUDING THE FIRST CRUISE OUT OF DRY DOCK could face pod problems. There may be a greater chance of risk the further from dry dock you get, but each individual cruise still doesn't have a great chance of problems.

Summit has gone at least 14 months since it's last pod occurance and could go months or even years before the next one. If people listened to the advice about following the pod cycles, all of the people who have sailed Summit for the last 4 months (and all subsequent months till another occurance) would have missed out on cruises with absolutely no pod issues.

Meanwhile, both Infinity and Millenium have had recurring mechanical problems (I'm not entirely sure that they are the same pod problems from bearing wear, but they are somehow pod-related) with far less than an 8-9 month gap in between. If people listened to the advice about following the pod cycles, many would be sorely disappointed after thinking they were on a "safe" trip...

My advice is to know that all M-Class ships have a chance of facing some kind of pod issue that will negatively impact your cruise or cause it to be cancelled. The risk is real, but it is not particularly large. I would estimate that fewer than 5% of all individual M-Class sailings involve pod problems of any note (meaning that cause missed ports or cancellation of the cruise). However, please also consider that ANY cruise (Celebrity or not, pods, or not) has some chance of facing it's own difficulties, mechanical or otherwise, that would cause it to be cancelled or to miss ports. You could feasibly choose to forego an M-Class ship and sail on another ship or on another line, only to find out that the ship you are on has problems while the cruise on the M-Class ship goes off without a hitch. Yes, statistically you are more likely to have problems on an M-Class ship, but the statistical variance is quite slight, not overwhelming.

Now, I consider that logic to be very "reasonable". It is not dismissing the danger of pod problems, but it is putting them into a meaningful context. I'm sorry if Alaskan Traveller feels otherwise.

How do you find out when the last time a M class ship was in drydock or when they are scheduled to go into drydock again? We are sailing on the Infinity to Alaska on the 19th and I'm taking my parents in an effort to get them turned on to cruising like we are.

I am a frequent flyer and you get savy after awhile and know what cities to avoid at what times and when the best time to travel is. I am a devoted M class ship cruiser. The Mille US inaguration cruise was my first cruise and I have been on the Connie too, all with no problems. As said before in this thread. Breakdowns occur, no matter what mode of travel you choose. Sh*t happens. But I would like to be savy about the M class ships too and know when the drydocks occur.

It's like lost luggage.....it can never happen to you, it can always happen to you....or sometimes its just a matter of time before it happens to you. I just want the knowledge to make my own decisions. I won't give up sailing on Celebrity. They have ALWAYS been a great cruise line to me and their service is wonderful.

Toni

At the top of the Celebrity thread is a forum called something to the effect of Discussing the pods. I think that is where you will find the information. For me the only think I will do is as we get closer to my cruise I will be keeping an eye on this forum for signs that the pod problems are starting so I can get a head start on looking for another cruise.

Although I don't think I'll go on a cruise if I get stuck in a high up all the way forward cabin again. Got too tossed about last year.

As for me for most part missed ports don't matter. I have not gone to any of the ports the the Milie is going to now and really want to see Puerto Rico and certainly don't care if I don't get more then a couple of hours there. And I'm looking forward to the relaxing time on the private island on the beach because I've heard it's beautiful but other then that I could care less so a slow down won't bother me. Now if we miss ports I expect some ship board credit because there are some taxes that aren't being paid out but other then that I'm fine.

No argument that problems could occur on any ship but a person should be fully informed on all the information in order to make the proper decision for them. If my husband knew everything I did we would not have reservations on this cruise if it weren't an almost free cruise for us.

How do you find out when the last time a M class ship was in drydock or when they are scheduled to go into drydock again? We are sailing on the Infinity to Alaska on the 19th and I'm taking my parents in an effort to get them turned on to cruising like we are.

I am a frequent flyer and you get savy after awhile and know what cities to avoid at what times and when the best time to travel is. I am a devoted M class ship cruiser. The Mille US inaguration cruise was my first cruise and I have been on the Connie too, all with no problems. As said before in this thread. Breakdowns occur, no matter what mode of travel you choose. Sh*t happens. But I would like to be savy about the M class ships too and know when the drydocks occur.

It's like lost luggage.....it can never happen to you, it can always happen to you....or sometimes its just a matter of time before it happens to you. I just want the knowledge to make my own decisions. I won't give up sailing on Celebrity. They have ALWAYS been a great cruise line to me and their service is wonderful.

Toni

Hello Toni and everyone I have not posted for awhile,

Your question of "How do you find out when the last time a M class ship was in drydock or when they are scheduled to go into drydock again?" is a good question. Some time ago I did post a list of the dates of dry docks for pod problems and after reading this thread decided maybe it would help some people to update it and re-post it. The post can be found on the pods sticky thread at the top of this forum. Hope this is of some value to you and others.

May all of our cruises be great.

thanks 2R, I checked it out. I'm hoping my odds are good on this cruise since the infinity has already been in dry dock this year. Even if we do not have any problems on her this cruise, I won't book her again until the problems get fixed. I'll stick to the Connie in the Carribean or the Mercury.

Thanks for the help.

Toni

We were on Infinity March 25 to April 8, and she went into Drydock in mid May, just before the Alaska season began. I hope that helps.

Happy cruising to all.

Bob

thanks 2R, I checked it out. I'm hoping my odds are good on this cruise since the infinity has already been in dry dock this year. Even if we do not have any problems on her this cruise, I won't book her again until the problems get fixed. I'll stick to the Connie in the Carribean or the Mercury.

Thanks for the help.

From what I understand the problems will never be fixed. The pods are the pods and they can't rebuild the ships with the old system without totally rebuilding the ships. I think that is partially or entirely what the lawsuit was about. Celebrity is stuck with this problem for the life of the ship. I think it's described in the above referenced thread, but from what I understand most other ships when they experience these problems can get these types of repairs done while we passengers are in port and the ship is in water these pods can only be replaced/repaired while the ship is out of water. It was supposed to be the new thing and ended up being a disaster.

And btw don't forget the Century, she was my first Celebrity ship and because of that will always be my favorite.

Rest assured, chances are that your Cruise will go off without a hitch. In the very slim chance that something goes awry (Our 12-2006 Millie Sailing was cancelled) it was our experience that Celebrity, without question, made things right by us.

My suggestion would be to research other ships / lines that are the same sailing date, same duration and leaving / returning to the same port as your sailing. In the extreme unlikelyhood that your receive notice that your ship will not sail, you can quickly check availibility on the other ships/lines that you have already researched and rebook. You might not even have to change your air arrangements at all.

I have a slightly different take on this "nervous" issue. We cruise a lot (about 70 days a year) on many different cruise lines and generally make all of our own air, pre-cruise, post-cruise arrangements. Last February we decided to take the Infinity 14 day cruise to Carnival in Rio (the cruise left and retured to Buenos Aires). Because I am also very nervous about the reliability of the "M" class ships (Pod problems) we felt compelled to let Celebrity make all of our air and hotel arrangements in order to protect ourselves in case there were major mechanical problems. Everything turned out OK, even thought the Infinity did have problems with one of the Pods and could not exceed 18 knots on the cruise (top speed should be about 26 knots). We spoke with a senior officer who told us that it was going to take about 4 years to fix the Pod problems on all the "M" class ships (they will gradually replace each Pod with a stronger design) and during those 4 years the ships will have to operate with some speed restrictions and the increased risk of mechanical failure. To the best of my knowledge this is a unique problem for Celebrity (other ships also have Pods but seem to have avoided these problems) and it should be a cause for concern. Speed restrictions can cause missed ports, less time in ports (we were late to 2 ports), and even total break-downs with cancelled cruises. This is not the norm for most cruise lines and ships.

Hank

Archived