Why do you cruise?

mad4rda

We love cruising because we're lazy people. With cruising you don't have to worry about anything!!! All your food and entertainment is taken care of, and best of all is that you don't have to unpack and pack for each island that you visit. We just enjoy the laid back atmosphere of cruising.

I agree with most all of the replies so far. Another that I'll add is that cruising is great when traveling with friends or family, such as family reunion cruises. For one thing, it mostly eliminates the issue of who pays for what. No need to think about who will pick up the check for dinner, or whether to split up a check. (Always a big stress point with my in-laws). During the day it's easy to either do activities together, or go your separate ways, and come together again for dinner.

--Junglejane

During my 30+ years in the airline business I have schlepped DW (and 2 sons) basically all over the world for vacations and long weekends, which meant packing and unpacking, standing by for a flight (getting bumped once in a while), etc. We are sailors, had a sailboat, motorboat, canoe, kayak, rented houseboats in the UK, just love be on the water.

Now we cruise. We cruise to be on a ship on the ocean. The longer the better, which means trans-Atlantic repo cruises, since they are more in our price range and a perfect fit for us. Sightseeing? Done that already. Food? Not important to us. After all, how bad can it be? Entertainment? We do our own: Our own aft balcony, reading material, maybe an iPod, GPS unit, a glass of sherry (or two), vegging out watching the world go by. Fellow passengers? Sometimes we connect, which is nice. But we are not looking to make friends for life. Got those already. Yes, we still have to fly to/from Europe pre- or post cruise, but that’s a small price to pay.

628835991_Veggingout-1s.jpg.31a50114676a7d65460fb996a2f09707.jpg

I agree with most all of the replies so far. Another that I'll add is that cruising is great when traveling with friends or family, such as family reunion cruises. For one thing, it mostly eliminates the issue of who pays for what. No need to think about who will pick up the check for dinner, or whether to split up a check. (Always a big stress point with my in-laws). During the day it's easy to either do activities together, or go your separate ways, and come together again for dinner.

--Junglejane

People have no idea how right you are. My family went on its first vacation (all together) in 40 years. My parents, brothers, sister and spouses. There were nine of us crusing aboard Infinity through the Panama Canal, and we did just as you said. We all did our own thing (even though some of those activities involved others) during the day, but each evening we got together for dinner. Everybody got what they wanted for dinner, and none of us had to prepare the meal or wash dishes.

Cruises are great for family get togethers.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

A great way to visit maritime cities in Europe and pack and unpack once. Your hotel and restaurant come with you. All you have to plan for is sightseeing in port.

I enjoy watching the ship traffic in port and on the sea lanes too.

Love the ocean. Love the servants! Very relaxing. We did the Mercury cruise to Alaska last September. Had fabulous weather. You will love the Mercury and Alaska, you won't want it to get dark because you might miss some gorgeous scenery. Be sure to attend all the lectures Brent Nixon (the naturalist) gives, he's fascinating. He went on our whale watch in Juneau with Captain Larry of Orca Enterprises. Coached us on when to press the shutter to get the best pix. Have a wonderful time!

Sadly, Brent isn't on the Mercury any more and we (I'm on the same cruise with Mad4rda) won't be able to hear him lecture...

Love the ocean. Love the servants! Very relaxing. We did the Mercury cruise to Alaska last September. Had fabulous weather. You will love the Mercury and Alaska, you won't want it to get dark because you might miss some gorgeous scenery. Be sure to attend all the lectures Brent Nixon (the naturalist) gives, he's fascinating. He went on our whale watch in Juneau with Captain Larry of Orca Enterprises. Coached us on when to press the shutter to get the best pix. Have a wonderful time!

Question for you please:)

Servants? I never think about the staff and crew as servants:(

But I do love the SERVICE I receive:D

I've been on four or five cruises and I haven't discovered the waffles!

MUST TRY THE WAFFLES!

Cheryl

You've been on Millenium and Infinity and you've never tried the waffles. Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire. The waffles can be found at the back of deck 10 on M Class ships.

WWWAMW!

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

I have only been on one cruise so far (going again next month). Both will be AK cruises. I am probably the exception to most the other posts in this thread, but in both cases I mainly see cruising as the "transport" and "hotel" for my being able to see Alaska. I don't go cruising for the food or the entertainment, though both are great. I go for Alaska. Especially next month, I plan to be off the ship almost the entire time the ship is in the ports, and some of those have mighty long port days.

Don't think I ever actually answered this question:eek:

I cruise because:

1) The pampering is wonderful:D....impossible to receive

what I get on a cruiseship here at home.

2)The food is fabulous

3)The service is super

4)The staff and crew are always so friendly

and accomodating

5) Did I mention being pampered?:)

6) Seeing new places is always fun too...forgot about that;)

7)Meeting new friends and seeing old ones is great too.

8) Not doing anything at all.......

9)Did I mention that pampering aspect?:D

Why do you cruise?

The short answer is because we can! lol Actually, it's for most of the reasons already posted including the most relaxing vacation we can take. Also, we do love the waffles on the Celebrity ships!

I love the ship

I love the trip

I love being told what to tip!

I love the meals

I love the deals

I love it so much it seems unreal!

I love the cake

I love the wake

I love the sea for goodness sake!

:D :D :D :D :D

It's probably the batter that makes them so yummy - I'm sure there is sugar in the batter but it's not overwhelming. But the waffle iron is quick and makes waffles that are flower shaped and about 4" in diameter. The grooves are deep enough to hold as much butter, syrup, etc. that one could want. They have various syrups, all heated, and warm orange flavored butter. Also fruit compotes.

On our last cruise I slathered the waffles with herbed cream cheese and topped them with smoked salmon from the regular buffet. Outstanding! But my family went the more traditional route with syrup and fruit. We were one happy family.

There have been at least two funny waffle threads here. One of them is closed, for unknown reasons. To access them click on my name, then on View All Posts by Kathie44. That will get you to the second waffle thread. I think it's page 4, just keep looking. The pages on my name don't go back all the way to the first one, but in the second thread, click on Rehabber or Texed and view their posts (pretty far back) until you come to one called, "No waffles, do I deserve compensation?" (It started just before Christmas) I laughed out loud every day at the funny posts with the puns, poems, songs and general silliness. It will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about X waffles, but were afraid to ask. ;)

There have been at least two funny waffle threads here. One of them is closed, for unknown reasons. To access them click on my name, then on View All Posts by Kathie44. That will get you to the second waffle thread. I think it's page 4, just keep looking. The pages on my name don't go back all the way to the first one, but in the second thread, click on Rehabber or Texed and view their posts (pretty far back) until you come to one called, "No waffles, do I deserve compensation?" (It started just before Christmas) I laughed out loud every day at the funny posts with the puns, poems, songs and general silliness. It will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about X waffles, but were afraid to ask. ;)

Kathy is so right. I got caught up reading the Waffle thread before our first Celebrity cruise in March. It was so much fun that I couldn't wait to get to Infinity and experience it first hand. The Waffles were wonderful and as I've said before they made for a great Breakfast Dessert. Have Eggs Benedict in the dining room, then go Aft and have a wonderful waffle topped just the way you want. Ymmmmmmmmmm!

WWWAMW!

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Archived