Saxman question for Budget Queen!

newbiecruiser54

Hello, BQ! We have still not arranged anything for our day in Ketchikan. I would really like to visit Saxman. There are 5 of us. I would like to make sure we have a good narrated tour and access to the carving shed and also the dancers if possible. Is it best to go with the ship's tour, or is there another outfit that will be just as good?

Thanks, BQ and any other experienced Alaska visitors!

Radiance of the Seas - Alaska!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

newbiecruiser

i want to do the saxman village as well. i have looked into several tour groups. they all are around the same price but the times for how long the tour is may vary. i '''think'''' i am right in saying that to be able to see the dancers you have to book with the ship. i havnt found a independent group yet who says they have the dancers. keep checking into groups and decided how much you get for the price and how long it is. good luck and i hope you get the tour you want. if there is a group that does the dancers i would like to know about it.

DUSTY

Carnival Spirit, 9/10/03 Alaska glacier bay

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05
Alaska glacier bay again

Yes the dancers require the ship tour. But the carving shed is open to anyone. I would try and arrange a van tour of Saxman with your group, there will be many venders at the dock visitor center. You may also want to ask their suggestion for perhaps a private tour for just your group? [url="http://www.visit-ketchikan.com"]www.visit-ketchikan.com[/url]

nekolover

we will probably book with the ship so we can see them and get a good tour out of it. if you come across the name of the tour group please pass it along. thanks

DUSTY

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05
Alaska glacier bay again

The native dancers at Saxman are 'The Cape Fox Dancers'. You can search for more information at the 'Cape Fox Corporation' web-site.

You can walk or take a bus to Saxman Native Village and buy a ticket at the Village Store. That ticket will entitle you to see the Video, visit the Carving Shed (even when the private ship's tour groups are there), see the dancers and and you can listen to totem pole stories with the tours sold on the ship. Tickets were around $32 last year.

thank you so much for the name of the dancers. do you know how much it is too catch a bus or get to the village another way. the friend who will be with me can walk but not for miles ( which would be more than she could handle by the time we got to the village, walked around, got back to town and shopped). it sure would be nice if they had cheap buses that went their. thanks again

DUSTY

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05
Alaska glacier bay again

"The Bus" travels on the road next to the dock. There are 2 routes. To get to Saxman, take the "Blue" route.

I'm not sure about the prices - seniors get a special discount. I think it costs $2.25 one way.

There is a fairly steep hill (1 block) to get to the Village Store.

Cabs are fairly inexpensive, you might want to take a cab out there and take the bus back to town. Be sure to ask the cab driver if he can let you out in front of the Village Store. A couple of years ago, Saxman Village would not let the cabs into the park, but I think that may have changed.

Archived