Comment on my DETAILED Kauai Itinerary

bluetiger9192

This is my detailed itinerary for Kauai (I only have one day to do this as I am doing a helicopter tour the next day and we said out at 2pm the next day). I know it's a packed schedule but I'm the type of traveler that would rather pack in more in a day rather than "relax" and "take it easy" (unfortunately). For most of the locations, I plan on taking pictures from the lookouts rather than do hikes that would take more time (hence I have budgeted ~15 minutes at most of the lookouts). For Waimea Canyon, I plan on driving as far to the Kalalau lookout (no hiking). Also, the driving times that I have in parens are based on the time estimates from google maps (so they should be pretty accurate - at least I hope).

Let me know what you think! Thanks.

8:00 AM: Arrive port (will overnight)

8:30 AM: Pick up Budget car rental

(~7 minute drive to airport)

8:30 AM – 10:00 AM: Drive from Lihue Airport to Waimea Canyon (90 minutes)

10:00 AM – 11:00 AM: Explore Waimea Canyon (as far as Kalalau lookout)

11:00 AM – 12:00 AM: Drive from Waimea Canyon to Spouting Horn (50 minutes)

Look for Tree Tunnel along the way

12:00 AM – 12:15 PM: Explore Spouting Horn

12:15 PM – 1:30 PM: Drive from Spouting Horn to Kilauea Lighthouse (closes at 4pm) (1 hour and 10 minutes)

1:30 PM – 2:00 PM: Explore Kilauea Lighthouse

2:00 PM – 2:30 PM: Drive from Kilauea Lighthouse to Hanalei Lookout (20 minutes)

2:30 PM – 3:00 PM: Explore Hanalei Lookout

3:00 PM – 3:45 PM: Drive from Hanalei Lookout to Coconut Marketplace / Coconut Grove (45 minutes)

3:45 PM – 4:00 PM: Explore Coconut Marketplace / Coconut Grove

Look for Chevron gas station along the way to fill up

Best view of Sleeping Giant is across the street from Chevron gas station

4:00 PM – 4:15 PM: Drive from Coconut Marketplace to Opaekaa Falls (10 minutes)

4:15 PM – 4:30 PM: Explore Opaekaa Falls

4:30 PM – 5:00 PM: Drive from Opaekaa Falls to Wailua Falls (30 minutes)

5:00 PM – 5:15 PM: Explore Wailua Falls

5:15 PM – 5:30 PM: Drive from Wailua Falls to Lihue Airport (15 minutes)

7:00 PM: Need to return rental car by this time; Last Budget shuttle back to pier (if miss this, need to take a taxi)

If I remember correctly, there are two roads inside the Canyon that head towards different overlooks. The cool one is the overlook with that blast of wind. Do venture towards each overlook. The canyon looks so different when viewing due North compared to looking at the Canyon towards the West.

There are so many stops on the way to the Na Pali Overlook at the ocean. I think you'll want to stop at each one. The farther you travel up, into the canyon the more the visual dynamics change. Even the clouds, sunlight changes will make you want stop to take fresh digital photo's.

I think my wife and I were on that road for at least 3 or 3 1/2 hours. Then we ate at the picnic tables at the top for a lunch. Those big bus's will slow you down, so don't think you'll be able to zoom along that single lane canyon road.

The best part are all the baby 'Jungle Fowl' aka chickens running around. Do slow when they run across the road.

First, let me say that I am a lot like you and try to cover as much territory as possible. However, we just returned from our June 25th cruise (see review posted separately) and post cruise stay on Kauai and I think you are trying to do too much in one day.

Even if you do no hiking at all, I would strongly urge you to drive to what is really the last lookout, the one in Koke'e State Park that is just past the Kalalau lookout. It is really exceptional and definitely car drivable (we had a convertible).

Doing both Waimea and the North Shore in one day is a bit ambitious but to also add the South Shore (Spouting Horn in Poipu/Tree Tunnel) and the Falls on the East Shore may make the North Shore impossible. So I would skip Spouting Horn (which doesn't spout so high if the tide is not exactly right) and the Tree Tunnel (which is just a part of the road that is tree-lined and not so long at that) because there is construction down near Spouting Horn that could cause you some delays and it isn't worth the diversion if you want to get to the North Shore.

When you go up to the North Shore, there will be lots of traffic in the Kapaa area (around the Coconut Marketplace) that will slow you down. If you are not running too far behind, then stop at the Kilauea Lighthouse. When you leave, and continue toward Princeville and Hanalei, there is a great place to stop on the left side called Banana Joes- they make fresh smoothies and have fresh fruit for sale if you would like a pick-me up. Then drive into the Princeville Resort and park at the lot for the Princeville Hotel. Walk through the lobby to the terrace and enjoy the view. If you want to sit down and have a drink at their Hanalei Cafe, even better. Or take the stairs (or multiple elevators) down to their beach and enjoy the view again.

If you want to visit the little town of Hanalei, it is cute and has a lot of shiops and places to eat - it is much cuter and nicer than the Cococut Marketplace which is really just a tourist trap and you have probably seen most of these stores by the end of your cruise anyway.

If you really really want to see these falls, and there is still daylight, then go for it. I understand the urge to explore. But you will be seeing lots of falls on your helocopter ride (we also did a helocopter the next day) and it might be fun to relax at the Princeville and enjoy a sunset. The roads in and around Kapaa that you need to go through to get to these falls are pretty annoyingly crowded.

Alternatively to all of these, we went to the Canyon and attended the luau at Kalapaki (?) luau that the ship uses at GAylord's afterward- we drove directly there (the car rental-Thrifty) gave us a lift back to the ship after we dropped off). Although I didn't think I would enjoy a luau, I really enjoyed that one.

We have not been to Hawaii yet, but this sounds very ambitious to me. What if you are truly enjoying something and would like to stay a bit longer? Will you look at your watch and realize another few minutes would get you "off schedule". Most of us live our lives by schedules all the time, maybe a vacation is a good time to take a vacation from tight schedules and just enjoy the moment, JMO

Have fun whatever you do.:)

Allow more time for Waimea Canyon. Traffic will be slow. One hour isn't enough to go up, look around and come down. Skip the Spouting Horn. It's not much. Tree tunnel is nice, but well, it's just nice and nothing special to warrent coming accross the ocean to see it. You've driven under tall trees at home I'm sure. Skip the Coconut Grove. Kauai is too beautiful to waste time on a tourist trap. Skip the falls. They aren't much. Your time is better spent exploring the North Shore.

After the Hanalei lookout, do continue down the highway into the valley. It's one of the most beautiful valleys in Hawaii. Spend the time you allocated for Coconut Grove in Hanalei. The town is charming, and you can do your tourist shopping there if you have to shop.

No need to stop anywhere to see the Sleeping Giants. They are big and they are right by the highway. You can't miss seeing them while driving.

I have to agree with the previous posters. One thing that really struck me is how you have every activity scheduled to the minute. You've really got to leave time to stay somewhere longer if you like it, skip things if you start to get over-done, and allow for the fact that things happen (like traffic, accidents, weather, etc.). I think it's an overly ambitious itinerary that sounds far too much like a "work" or "chores" schedule. Also, those drive times are overly optimistic (substantially in a few cases), especially as Waimea and coming back down from the north to Lihue (as swifs and simonv have already mentioned). You also need to factor in parking and other things that will almost certainly throw you off your schedule.

However, if you are positive that the day you have planned is what you want to do and that it will make you happy, then you should go ahead and try to do it. Realize that it's very likely you will not get to see/do everything you have listed and that you will spend your day looking at the clock, rather than truly and fully enjoying what you are doing in the moment. (IMO, Hawaii deserves more "hang loose" time and a slightly more flexible approach.)

beachchick

Yikes! No time to stop and smell the roses on this busy day! :cool:

I would suggest that since you will be taking a helicopter tour the next day, you skip Waimea Canyon on your drive -- your heli-view will be more spectacular than anything you will see from the road or the Kalalau Lookout. And skipping Waimea Canyon will give you an extra 3+ hours to enjoy your time at all the other stops you have planned.

Po`ipu -- especially the road out to Spouting Horn -- is a major construction zone now (Monday through Saturday). As mentioned by other posters here, it's only spectacular at high tide. And the Tree Tunnel is -- as described earlier -- just a road with eucalyptus trees arching over. Lovely, but not worth a special side trip IMHO.

So...if you pick up your car and head north, you can dawdle along the way...take every road that hugs the coast. For example, turn right at the Kapa`a Chevron station, go to the coast, and enjoy the views at Fuji Beach before rejoining the highway. If it's a windy day, you'll see kite-surfers a-plenty. Some of the best views and sightseeing, are off the beaten path. As long as the road doesn't say "kapu" or "private" or "no trespassing", give it a try! Anahola, Aliomanu, Kalihiwai, Anini...see them all, if you can.

This is my detailed itinerary for Kauai (I only have one day to do this as I am doing a helicopter tour the next day and we said out at 2pm the next day). I know it's a packed schedule but I'm the type of traveler that would rather pack in more in a day rather than "relax" and "take it easy" (unfortunately). For most of the locations, I plan on taking pictures from the lookouts rather than do hikes that would take more time (hence I have budgeted ~15 minutes at most of the lookouts). For Waimea Canyon, I plan on driving as far to the Kalalau lookout (no hiking). Also, the driving times that I have in parens are based on the time estimates from google maps (so they should be pretty accurate - at least I hope).

Let me know what you think! Thanks.

8:00 AM: Arrive port (will overnight)

8:30 AM: Pick up Budget car rental

(~7 minute drive to airport)

8:30 AM – 10:00 AM: Drive from Lihue Airport to Waimea Canyon (90 minutes)

10:00 AM – 11:00 AM: Explore Waimea Canyon (as far as Kalalau lookout)

11:00 AM – 12:00 AM: Drive from Waimea Canyon to Spouting Horn (50 minutes)

Look for Tree Tunnel along the way

12:00 AM – 12:15 PM: Explore Spouting Horn

12:15 PM – 1:30 PM: Drive from Spouting Horn to Kilauea Lighthouse (closes at 4pm) (1 hour and 10 minutes)

1:30 PM – 2:00 PM: Explore Kilauea Lighthouse

2:00 PM – 2:30 PM: Drive from Kilauea Lighthouse to Hanalei Lookout (20 minutes)

2:30 PM – 3:00 PM: Explore Hanalei Lookout

3:00 PM – 3:45 PM: Drive from Hanalei Lookout to Coconut Marketplace / Coconut Grove (45 minutes)

3:45 PM – 4:00 PM: Explore Coconut Marketplace / Coconut Grove

Look for Chevron gas station along the way to fill up

Best view of Sleeping Giant is across the street from Chevron gas station

4:00 PM – 4:15 PM: Drive from Coconut Marketplace to Opaekaa Falls (10 minutes)

4:15 PM – 4:30 PM: Explore Opaekaa Falls

4:30 PM – 5:00 PM: Drive from Opaekaa Falls to Wailua Falls (30 minutes)

5:00 PM – 5:15 PM: Explore Wailua Falls

5:15 PM – 5:30 PM: Drive from Wailua Falls to Lihue Airport (15 minutes)

7:00 PM: Need to return rental car by this time; Last Budget shuttle back to pier (if miss this, need to take a taxi)

No time allocated to pee......:D

1/2 hour from arrive to pick up car......I do not think that is enough.....they need to clear ship.....time to disembark.......plan on a line at the car rental place......you will not be the only one renting a car off the ship.

I think trying to do Waimea Canyon........to Hanalei is too much.......you will send the day driving.....;)

I agree with swifs...Koke'e is the BEST lookout point in the Canyon area! Absolutely gorgeous.

Also, I see you have no time scheduled to stop at Lappert's for ice cream. Just thinking about the Kauai Pie makes my mouth water!:p

I have to agree on most of the points mentioned. I was one of the first off the ship. By the time we got our rental car, it was like 9 or 9:30. We went North shore only, didn't go to Waimea canyon or any of the beaches on the south or west side. Gives us a reason to return:p.

We wasted a little bit of time going to Walmart, Kmart and Costco trying to drop off our film for 1 hr developing but aside from that, there is no way to see north shore then go to the complete opposite of the island. We ran into traffic problem which put us behind about 30 minutes in town due to an accident. We swam at Lydgate park (maybe 45 minutes there) and saw Wailua & Opaekaa falls, went to Ke-e beach as far north as you can go to the dead end of the road. Didn't have time to stop at all the beaches along the way, didn't see the lighthouse etc. Plus you have one-way bridges (lots of them) where you have to wait for traffic before you can enter. We ate lunch at fast food so didn't take long to eat. I just think you aren't allowing any deviation from your plans and being awefully gutsy trying to circle the whole island. Decide which route to take and plan the other side of the island for a future trip. Or decide which are the major highlights and hit those only. Still iffy since you could run into traffic.

Good luck. You'll need it.

I would suggest that since you will be taking a helicopter tour the next day, you skip Waimea Canyon on your drive -- your heli-view will be more spectacular than anything you will see from the road or the Kalalau Lookout. And skipping Waimea Canyon will give you an extra 3+ hours to enjoy your time at all the other stops you have planned.

So...if you pick up your car and head north, you can dawdle along the way...take every road that hugs the coast. For example, turn right at the Kapa`a Chevron station, go to the coast, and enjoy the views at Fuji Beach before rejoining the highway. If it's a windy day, you'll see kite-surfers a-plenty. Some of the best views and sightseeing, are off the beaten path. As long as the road doesn't say "kapu" or "private" or "no trespassing", give it a try! Anahola, Aliomanu, Kalihiwai, Anini...see them all, if you can.

Antie Maria's suggestion is a good one. Save Waimea Canyon for the heli trip. The spirit of Kauai is not the sites. There really aren't any really. The charm is that's it's laid back and it's rural. It's the kind of island that the aged hippies happily settled, while the West Coast retirees gone to Maui. Kauai is my most favorite island. The best is the North Shore as far as I'm concerned. It's the gentle moist air, the smell of jungle, mist over the guava plantation in Kilauea. They will stay with you if you let them. Forget about sightseeing. There's abosolute must-sees in entire Hawaii. You aren't missing any World Heritage site if you miss a waterfall. What there is the spirit of Aloha, seductive fragrance of flowers. Slow down and let Hawaii surround you and charm you.

Yikes! No time to stop and smell the roses on this busy day! :cool:

Po`ipu -- especially the road out to Spouting Horn -- is a major construction zone now (Monday through Saturday). As mentioned by other posters here, it's only spectacular at high tide. And the Tree Tunnel is -- as described earlier -- just a road with eucalyptus trees arching over. Lovely, but not worth a special side trip IMHO.

Aloha Auntie Maria,

Being from Kauai, would you recommend the North shore beaches in August and if so, which ones do you like best?

Also, what are some of the best places to see off the beaten path?

You mentioned all the construction causing delays, can we expect not to have delays in that area on Sunday? We are planning on doing the Canyon on Suday, but that is the day our ship leaves at 3PM. Do you think if we are out early in the morning we can do it?

Mahalo,

Kat

:o Just trying to sort out all this wonderful information.

~If we drive to Waimea Canyon in the am...is it not feasible to head to North Shore/Hanalei area?? We love to just wander...stop if something interest us....since we don't have to be back on the ship at a specifc time?

~I thought I could do the above on day one and on day 2....I thought there is a beach with in walking distance from the ship? This allow us to have a little more of relaxing day on day 2???

Thanks for all of your input.........sorry if this is a repeat question....

Mstaczek97 ~ You could do it all in one day but it would be really hard on the driver, IMO. I did this cruise in May with my mother and decided to take the Big Kahuna one hour flight around the island first (at 10:30am) and then drove to the falls and the lighthouse and on up to Ke'e beach stopping for lunch along the way. The flight really gives you a great view of Waimea Canyon and the waterfalls within it so I really didn't miss seeing it by land. We got back to the ship around 6pm and just did some shopping the next day. I love the fact that I have photos of Kiluea Lighthouse from the air, land, and sea (from the ship). It really is a great photo-op. :D

Some people have reported driving to the canyon the second day and returning the car and getting back to the ship by 1:30 but that sounds really nerve wracking to me.

Have a great cruise!

Ali

Archived