New lava flow!

PDAZ

That's great news. Below is a link to my favorite site that monitors Kilauea. I've been visiting the site periodically over the last two years or so. I can't believe I might be witnessing lava flow with my own eyes soon !

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/images.html

Looks like the activity has really picked up over the last few days.

They were talking about it on the news last night but I've been too busy to check to see if it is going to be good for viewing from the ocean. I have really enjoyed all my viewings on the cruises and was sad that it may not happen this trip - not really for me but for the other people on the ship. It is such an awesome experience. Plus last time I was on the POAl we had a really great Volcano Party the night of the viewing and had such fun - that was another thing I was sad may not happen this trip. :)

Emi

Thank you so much for keeping us updated.

I really hope by 8/26/07 we can have the view from the ship. It'll be special treat for my kids.

Please keep us posted.

Hey! CNN is showing new lava flow at Kilauea!

The headline in the paper today was that this flow is only visible from a helicopter. But, who knows...this could be the start of something big!!! Let's sit back and see what happens.

Great News for all upcoming cruisers.

Summary: The 7/21 fissure eruption continues from the eastern fissure. The flows are currently confined to an area within the east rift zone and are flowing over lava erupted earlier in the ongoing eruption of Pu`u `O`o and Kupaianaha.

last 24 hours at 7/21 eruption site: Views from the newly-relocated webcam have been frequently blocked by wet weather. A few glimpses overnight indicated that the eruption continues with lava feeding channeled flows and the perched lava pond at the far eastern edge of the flows. This is the only active lava at the surface.

Sulfur dioxide emssions from the July 21 eruption are at levels similar to those from Pu`u `O`o before the disruption starting on June 17, 2007. During the period when Pu`u `O`o crater was filling, sulfur dioxide emissions were very low and barely detectable.

http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/hvostatus.php

Hi Emi....things here on the East side are fine. Been hot and dry...except this past weekend....and of course we had out of town guests here!! Too bad.

Makes me feel good to see that you also keep doing the NCLA Hawaii cruises. We are doing the POH again on 8/20. The best part is that I was able to nab those $9 airfares on GO! I wonder when we will get bored with this....probably never. It is so relaxing. And, I guess when the POH leaves the prices will go up and we may not see as many deals.

Now we just have to hope that there will be some kind of lava viewing !!

Kapoho,

$9!!! When was that? I always miss those. Is there an email notification when they have those sales? I think I better go find out.

I keep trying to find a better vacation deal and it just doesn't happen, though may take one of the Hawaii vacations to Vegas later in the year. I'm getting gambling withdrawals because it has been YEARS!!

Aloha,

Emi

I don't know about the lava going to the ocean, but we are booked on the NCL tour "the lava hike" which has not been taking place because of the lack of lava initially, now because of the distance of the lava. We spoke with the Gen. Manager of Arnott's Lodge who are the people that run this tour, and she said that if things keep going this way, and there are no more earthquakes, she may resume these lava walks in a couple of weeks or so.

So, maybe if this resumes it is a possibility things will change for the lava to the ocean.

Our cruise isn't until Sept. 29th, hope all is well by then.

I think the USGS site said there is an a'a flow moving North Eastward from the current eruption but if I remember my compass right, that doesn't take it toward the area where people are used to seeing lava flows. That could change in a hurry of course but at the moment it doesn't look good Emi.

Hi Emi....things here on the East side are fine. Been hot and dry...except this past weekend....and of course we had out of town guests here!! Too bad.

Makes me feel good to see that you also keep doing the NCLA Hawaii cruises. We are doing the POH again on 8/20. The best part is that I was able to nab those $9 airfares on GO! I wonder when we will get bored with this....probably never. It is so relaxing. And, I guess when the POH leaves the prices will go up and we may not see as many deals.

Now we just have to hope that there will be some kind of lava viewing !!

I'm on the same cruise as you :D

and i REALLY hope there's lava flow cuz I've never seen it before...

good to hear that you are doing the POH again because that means that it must have been good the first time

Archived