Tenerife without ship tour?

Has anyone information on what to do in Tenerife (Canary Islands) if not booked with the ships tour. Most interested if taxi's are available at portside, what to do in the port city area...............and any suggestions for those of us who cannot climb the volcano.

You will find taxis in Santa Cruz de Tenerife. You may visit, besides the same Santa Cruz, the wonderful Orotava Valley. In the way, you may visit La Laguna (formerly, San Cristobal de la Laguna) which is a World Heritage as that city was the model for all the citys founded by the Spaniards in America at the start of the Conquest. In the valley you may visit La Orotava and El Puerto de la Cruz.

A private car, driver and guide are much less expensive in Tenerife than in European capital cities.

The ship will dock right inside the city of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. The city itself is okay, but if you remain within the city you will be missing out on the natural, varied beauty of the island.

El Teide Volcano park is one of the highest volcanos in Europe. Puerto de la Cruz is very green and used to be where all of the tourists spent their holidays before the southern beach resorts were built.

The tourist beach hotels are on the south side of the island (Costa Adeje, Playa de las Américas, etc.) but there is nothing special to see there -- just rows of large hotels along the ocean.

Try any of the major Spanish agency chains to try to book a private excursion (Marsans, Barceló, Viajes Halcón, etc.). Also try CICAR car rental agency (local Canary Island car rental chain provides better and less expensive service than Avis and Hertz) and even inquire with them about a car plus private driver.

Hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

We're on the Navigator of the Seas calling at Funchal, Tenerife, Las Palmas,Lanzarote, and Vigo - any suggestions for this itinerary? We don't really want to take the ships tours - 3000 people getting off and onto busses. Any thoughts are appreciated.

A private car, driver and guide are much less expensive in Tenerife than in European capital cities.

The ship will dock right inside the city of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. The city itself is okay, but if you remain within the city you will be missing out on the natural, varied beauty of the island.

El Teide Volcano park is one of the highest volcanos in Europe. Puerto de la Cruz is very green and used to be where all of the tourists spent their holidays before the southern beach resorts were built.

The tourist beach hotels are on the south side of the island (Costa Adeje, Playa de las Américas, etc.) but there is nothing special to see there -- just rows of large hotels along the ocean.

Try any of the major Spanish agency chains to try to book a private excursion (Marsans, Barceló, Viajes Halcón, etc.). Also try CICAR car rental agency (local Canary Island car rental chain provides better and less expensive service than Avis and Hertz) and even inquire with them about a car plus private driver.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Thanks Gunther...............will check all the resources you suggested. I am so excited about visiting Tenerife................just couldn't find a tour company to customize our visit. If you have further suggestions please let me know.

Dee

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Thanks Gunther. I will check out the resources you suggested. I have tried to find a private tour company to customize a 6 hour tour for us to no avail. Hopefully, one of these companies will be able to provide the service we need to enjoy this beautiful island.

Thanks,

Dee

We were there several years ago with our 2 boys and this is what we did;

Las Palmas - we were there on a Sunday so it was very quiet and alot was closed - we walked around in the port town which was very picturesque and pretty in a very European way. (I love architecture) Pretty squares with a church and balconies etc. Then we went for lunch on a sidewalk patio which was lovely.

Tenerife - we had previously booked a car rental here from home - so picked up the car and drove up to El Teide Volcano Park (it gets a lot cooler up there!) which was rather spectacular! We then drove down to Puerto de la Cruz which is a gorgeous town and waterfront area. The drive down was very picturesque - lots of windy high roads - but not too scary!!!! We did some walking enjoying all the beautiful scenery and had a lovely Canarian-style lunch!

Lanzarote - also we had a rented car booked. This island has a totally different feel from the others - almost felt more North African in a way - more of a desert landscape! We visited The Green Caves - which were amazing - used by people to hide from Pirates - a little bit claustrophobic for the first few minutes until you get into the main cave area, then we went to the Jameos del Agua which if I remember correctly - the caves led into. Click on to this link for more information and pictures - it was unique and wonderful! http://www.lanzarotetourist.com/attractions/jameos-del-agua.cfm

We finished up with a drive to Mirador del Rio for the most spectacular view from the island - I loved Lanzarote!

We also stopped at Gran Canaria - but that is not on your itinerary !

Hope this helps! Have a wonderful visit!

First I need to correct my last post - the island I described above was the smaller island of La Palma not Las Palmas which is the name of the capital of Gran Canaria - sorry about that - it has been a few years since we were there!

When we disembarked in Gran Canaria it was in the Port city of "Las Palmas"

We decided to stay in the city - took a cab to the old part of town around Santa Ana Square. The cathedral there is beautiful. The square apparently the work of Juan Ponce de Leon. Fabulous, fabulous architecture - very old world European - I loved it!

We also visited the Casa de Colon - House of Columbus Museum - a 15th century house where Columbus stayed on his way to America. Then we also went to a most fascinating museum called Museo Canario not too far away from the first which features a lot about the Islands original inhabitants.

We walked around drinking in the views and architecture for a while before doing some shopping - however - we should have done this first as the stores all closed for siesta in the afternoon - we should have reversed our plan of attack!

We eventually made our way back to the port area and walked along the beach "Las Canteras" with typical touristy stores and many little patios and restaurants. We finished our day with a cold beer there before boarding our boat!

I guess I am assuming your ship stops in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria - maybe it doesn't?

Here is a link for more info....

http://www.euroresidentes.com/euroresiuk/guides-spain/guide-to-gran-canaria.htm

It was a wonderful trip!

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Gunter:

Tried all your suggestions - some sites were only in Spanish, but my college Spanish helped read the sites - the bottom line is no private tours are available. CICAR did respond to my e-mail, rental cars are inexpensive and available, but they do not provide a guide.

Any further suggestions? I before I give it up and just see what happens when we dock.

Thanks,

Dee

Gunter:

Tried all your suggestions - some sites were only in Spanish, but my college Spanish helped read the sites - the bottom line is no private tours are available. CICAR did respond to my e-mail, rental cars are inexpensive and available, but they do not provide a guide.

Any further suggestions? I before I give it up and just see what happens when we dock.

Thanks,

Dee

TravelT, we're on the Century, early December, same problems finding private tours..... I've emailed two companies (3 days ago)

http://www.tenerifecountryvillas.com/en/excurbus.php

&

http://www.tenerifevip.com/services_bd/tour/tour_index.asp

but so far haven't had any response, maybe you'll have better luck if you try.

IanJ

Len3

I am also looking for a private tour in Tenerief, however for Funchal I suggest you email Ricardo at ricardo254 at netmadeira.com. He is great. We used him last Nov and have booked him again for this Dec. If you are interested in doing the "sledge ride" in the baskets, he will get you there first and then you will be gone before the ship tours arrive. Some people on our ship last year waited in line two to three hours just to ride. :)

Just to let others know my last contact in Tenerife told me car rentals are inexpensive, but no guides are available to drive the car for you. So, we'll hope taxi's are available, and there is always the tram (if it is operational in December, last I heard it was not completed) that connects the two towns for some diversions and ability to see some of the countyside. No ships tour are available that fit our needs - so that's all for now folks.:(

Dee

The Santa Cruz and La Laguna tram opened June 2 2007 and costs 1.25 euros

Thank you for that update...............this will be our back-up plan if a taxi is not available to take us for a private tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a response for tenerife tours, not suitable for us, but maybe someone else will be interested

To Ian

If you prefer a private tour the smallest coaches we have seat 20 people. It will be no problem if there is just 8 people. The price for the coach and a guide for the day is 450euros and will take you to Mount Teide, La Orotava and Puerto de la Cruz. If you would like to change the tour slightly you can as long as its within the 08.30 till 17.00 time scale.

If you would like more details or to make a booking please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Debbie Lamon

Finally got a response for tenerife tours, not suitable for us, but maybe someone else will be interested

To Ian

If you prefer a private tour the smallest coaches we have seat 20 people. It will be no problem if there is just 8 people. The price for the coach and a guide for the day is 450euros and will take you to Mount Teide, La Orotava and Puerto de la Cruz. If you would like to change the tour slightly you can as long as its within the 08.30 till 17.00 time scale.

If you would like more details or to make a booking please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Debbie Lamon

Thanks Debbie, we're checking out your resource.

Dee

• 1 month later...
Tenerife - we had previously booked a car rental here from home.

Lanzarote - also we had a rented car booked.

Do you have any suggestions for how to book a rental car in advance?

We're on Voyager of the Seas in early December, and I'd like to just rent a car on Lanzarote and Tenerife and explore on our own. However, I'm having trouble finding rental places that are near the ports. We've never rented a car in port before, and I'm concerned about losing a lot of the day just getting to the rental office and filling out paperwork!

Thanks for your help!

-Meg

I need some help from our Spanish friends. I followed the advice of CruisinGerman and reserved a rental car from CICAR. The rental car address in Santa Cruz is Muelle Ribera, Edificio Ciudad, Local E1 38001 Santa Cruz de Tenerife. My GPS system does not recognize this address. Can anyone tell me how close this location is to the cruise port? Since we will be in Tenerife in early December I do not think we will be going to the beach. Any suggestions for a good winter driving itinerary?

Hank

Do you have any suggestions for how to book a rental car in advance?

We're on Voyager of the Seas in early December, and I'd like to just rent a car on Lanzarote and Tenerife and explore on our own. However, I'm having trouble finding rental places that are near the ports. We've never rented a car in port before, and I'm concerned about losing a lot of the day just getting to the rental office and filling out paperwork!

Thanks for your help!

-Meg

It was a good few years ago (8) that we were there - but we just booked one of the major car rental companies such as Hertz before we got there. In fact - I think my TA booked them for us. Just be certain that they have their office near to the port. (In Tenerife and it was no problem and we spent minimal time doing paperwork) I think when we were in Lanzarote we had a little more difficulty as there was no office close by at that time so we had to get a cab to it. We lost maybe an hour but still ultimately had a wonderful day. Hopefully that has changed by now.

It was not hard to drive there at all at that time.

Hank - we drove up to the Volcano - Mount Teide then down the other side to Puerto De La Cruz and enjoyed that - they say it is spring year round in the Canaries - but it does get chilly on top of the volcano - we were there in March....Hope you can find out about your address..... Anyway, have a great time!

Archived