$elling the $ea - Book Review

guernseyguy

Ok...let's see if I have this right...

Peter is "Dude"...boy did I have you pictured different!:rolleyes:

gavboy is "mate"...

The pot stirrer is "bloke"

So who the heck is "best boy"...:confused:

And what's your designation Mary???

I thought groundhog day was in February???

Cheers, Penny....who thought we were reviewing a book...silly me :rolleyes:

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

This is from the CC Community Guidelines.

Posts in Foreign Languages

Our forums are accessible from around the world. We welcome the participation of everyone. All we ask is that if you POST in your native language, that you simulaneously post your questions/comments in English -- in the same post. These are moderated message boards, and each and every posting is read by a volunteer moderator. They must be able to understand your posting to allow it to remain. Additionally, you will receive a far greater response to your question if you consider that the majority of our cruise community do only converse in English. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ok...let's see if I have this right...

gavboy is "mate"...

The pot stirrer is "bloke"

So who the heck is "best boy"...:confused:

And what's your designation Mary???

I am still eagerly anticipating mine. We don't have a best boy (yet), as Dude has refuted Bloke's suggestion that it is him (or should that be he?)

Yours, obviously with too much time on her hands today,

Mary

Its not quite how I picture myself.....do 'dude's do Dry Martinis? (Reminds me of a very old joke about when the Beatles first went to Germany - one of them said 'Its great here - you ask for dry white wine and you get three...)

Aren't you the 'Little Lamb'?

Or did you 'have' the little lamb - and if so how? roasted? grilled?

Where's Hyacinth when you need her!

Got fed up with it following me everywhere. It was jolly nice with a little mint sauce.

Can I be Hyacinth please?

Aren't you the 'Little Lamb'?

Or did you 'have' the little lamb - and if so how? roasted? grilled?

Where's Hyacinth when you need her!

Oh good...Mary's the "little lamb"....does that mean I get to be the "tart"?? I always wanted to be a tart...I'm so tired of that "flower of the old south:" designation!!:rolleyes:

I think Hyacinthe is in the "tips" thread but I've lost track.

Sorry Peter...I don't believe "Dudes" do martinis, dry or otherwise. The imagine of swilling beer comes to mind when I hear "duuuude":p

Cheers, Penny

Sorry Peter...I don't believe "Dudes" do martinis, dry or otherwise. The imagine of swilling beer comes to mind when I hear "duuuude":p

In that case Mary can be 'Dude' if she wants....as I guess Dudes don't do champagne either, or Pol Pot.......

Matthew may fight you for it - but I think you get first dibs.....

Somehow I don't see Matthew as Hyacinth. And he's presumably at work doing something more useful than we are at the moment, as he's very quiet. So, thank you; I claim first dibs.

:eek: I'm not going to play if you're going to make me be Dude.

You don't have to be dude - in any case I've read on another thread bloke calling some twenty-something 'dude'.....so he's pretty indiscriminate with his 'Dudes'.......

You don't have to be dude - in any case I've read on another thread bloke calling some twenty-something 'dude'.....so he's pretty indiscriminate with his 'Dudes'.......

Thank you. You are officially restored to your former inglorious position as Dude.

In that case Mary can be 'Dude' if she wants....as I guess Dudes don't do champagne either, or Pol Pot.......

Peter....I'm afraid you aren't quite up on your "Americanisms"...."Dude" is the male designation...were Mary to accept, she'd have to be "Dudette", the female of "Dude":p Aside to Mary...I'd choose Hyacinthe were I you..

Then again, I was going to ask if I could be the "strumpet" this time til I looked it up in my copy of "British English for Dumb Americans"..."Tart" will do nicely. :D

Cheers, Penny

"Dude" is the male designation...were Mary to accept, she'd have to be "Dudette", the female of "Dude":p

How charmingly quaint - I thought we'd stopped calling female actors 'actresses'.......it does rather read as Dud-ette - i.e., the female version of something 'dud'.....so obviously it can't be Mary - and as they don't drink Dry Martinis or Champagne - it can't be me either.....you could try trollop.....if you want a little variety.....meanwhile, back on 'tart' - a great one-liner I once heard about a completely unsuitable and entirely improbable white wedding dress - 'oh look, a tart in a meringue'.....

How charmingly quaint - I thought we'd stopped calling female actors 'actresses'.......it does rather read as Dud-ette - i.e., the female version of something 'dud'.....so obviously it can't be Mary - and as they don't drink Dry Martinis or Champagne - it can't be me either.....you could try trollop.....if you want a little variety.....meanwhile, back on 'tart' - a great one-liner I once heard about a completely unsuitable and entirely improbable white wedding dress - 'oh look, a tart in a meringue'.....

OK...so I'm spelling-challenged this morning...should have read "dude-ette" in which case Mary could fill that role if she chose (I'd still go for Hyacinthe). And you know us colonial cousins Peter...we are always "charmingly quaint"...except maybe for the Dudes and Dude-ettes....the word crude comes to mind here, thus my inability to see you in that role Peter.

And I checked out trollop...I'll still choose the role of "Tart" thank you...but I'd shoot myself if I had to be seen in a meringue. Now THAT was a funny image to conjure up!!

I believe it was you Peter who mentioned the best one-liner I'd heard in a long time...."Such a difficult color....green"...

Cheers, Penny

..."Tart" will do nicely. :D

So now we need a volunteer to be the accompanying vicar. I suggest this should be Matthew, as he's obviously whiling away his day doing something terribly unimportant and is in no position to object.

Mary

(hoping that the colonials know about vicars and tarts parties)

I believe it was you Peter who mentioned the best one-liner I'd heard in a long time...."Such a difficult color....green"...

I can't claim credit - and nor can Julian Fellowes, script writer of Gosford Park - Maggie Smith ad-libbed that one all by herself.....

Archived