$elling the $ea - Book Review

guernseyguy

So now we need a volunteer to be the accompanying vicar. I suggest this should be Matthew, as he's obviously whiling away his day doing something terribly unimportant and is in no position to object.

Mary

(hoping that the colonials know about vicars and tarts parties)

They do now (thank you Google) Matthew as the vicar and little moi as the tart...now there's a match made in heaven :eek: :rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

I can't claim credit - and nor can Julian Fellowes, script writer of Gosford Park - Maggie Smith ad-libbed that one all by herself.....

I remember that...and as I was agonizing over picking the correct green paint color for a room in my house, that line is all I kept hearing in my head!!

Cheers, Penny

What, pot stirrer or bloke? And if not a bloke, are you a ladette?

My vote is still with "Pot stirrer"...look what he started for pete's sake!:rolleyes: Anyone who uses the term "Dude" is an unlikely candidate for "ladette"...

By the by mary...how can you be sailing in 17 AND 18 days...are you boarding in 2 ports? Are you afraid you'll miss the ship in 17 days and she'll have to come back for you in 18 days ?? :confused:

Toodles all for now...must go and make a guest appearance in a role in menial labor...to whit...the laundry pile which grows ever larger with each post on CC....

Cheers, Penny

My vote is still with "Pot stirrer"...look what he started for pete's sake!:rolleyes:

Pot Stirrer?! I was the one who was trying to move us into less contentious/combative waters and back on course to talking about Cunard and such. I just want us all to get along.

Pot stirring, never. Vodka soda, maybe, but Pot never.

Pot Stirrer?! I was the one who was trying to move us into less contentious/combative waters and back on course to talking about Cunard and such. I just want us all to get along.

Pot stirring, never. Vodka soda, maybe, but Pot never.

Contentious/combative???Us???Never...:rolleyes: Now, snarky and irreverant,...occasionally ;) And we ALWAYS start out talking about Cunard...that's what we do....then thread drift takes over!! THIS is an example of thread drift....:eek:

Cheers,Penny...current role...washerwoman extraordinairre

Oh good...Mary's the "little lamb"....does that mean I get to be the "tart"?? I always wanted to be a tart...I'm so tired of that "flower of the old south:" designation!!:rolleyes:

I think Hyacinthe is in the "tips" thread but I've lost track.

Sorry Peter...I don't believe "Dudes" do martinis, dry or otherwise. The imagine of swilling beer comes to mind when I hear "duuuude":p

Cheers, Penny

Nope/. Can't be "tart." The Queen of Hearts, she STOLE the Tarts! :eek:

(And Jack came tumbling after...or something!:D )

Somehow I don't see Matthew as Hyacinth. And he's presumably at work doing something more useful than we are at the moment, as he's very quiet. So, thank you; I claim first dibs.

Okay, so now you are to be called "Her Dibs?"

And BTW. Penny, get with the program. To the "Younger Generation" (not you and I surely...And stop calling me Shirley!) "Dude" is now unisex!

And Bic Pen, (Bic is right down the road from us here in Connecticut, you know!) How many times do I have to tell y'all, vodka is for people who want to get drunk but dont like the taste of REAL booze! <LOL>

Karie (I think!)

who should be working! :p

Ok...let's see if I have this right...

Peter is "Dude"...boy did I have you pictured different!:rolleyes:

gavboy is "mate"...

The pot stirrer is "bloke"

So who the heck is "best boy"...:confused:

And what's your designation Mary???

I thought groundhog day was in February???

Cheers, Penny....who thought we were reviewing a book...silly me :rolleyes:

I go to work for a few hours and when i return your trying to assemble the cast for a Pantomine ! :eek:

regards,

Mate :cool:

Sorry Peter...I don't believe "Dudes" do martinis, dry or otherwise. The imagine of swilling beer comes to mind when I hear "duuuude":p

Sure they do! Have you seen Tony Sinclair on the tv commercial making Tanqueray martinis?

He is one righteous Dude, let me tell you, Tart.

Is that right?

Sure they do! Have you seen Tony Sinclair on the tv commercial making Tanqueray martinis?

Is that right?

How do I tell you this...I don't watch any television...none! So I must defer to your knowledge of what truly righteous dudes might be...."Dude" in the south is a bit different shall we say...

Cheers, Penny

How do I tell you this...I don't watch any television...none! So I must defer to your knowledge of what truly righteous dudes might be...."Dude" in the south is a bit different shall we say...

Cheers, Penny

Well, Tart, last I saw Tony it was at the local wine store. He was/is larger that life--most likely because he was cardboard at the time.

He's so righteous I don't even mind the commercial....not that I'd suggest you begin a campaign of television watching just to see...

Is that right?

Who's tony Sinclair?

Last time I saw anyone named Sinclair on Television, it was that family of dinosaurs! (animated, I think)

Karie,

or something, I'm not sure.

Heck, If you can be a beer Angela, I can be a gin

Karie, AKA Magellan... Or Bomaby Saffire..

Wait! No! I want to be a mixed drink

Karie, AKA

Mojito!

Like this?;)

Starting at :15.

I rest my case!!!! This is NOT Peter...is it? I suppose it could be...we've never met....tell me it isn't so Peter!! :eek: oooops, middle of the night over there...guess we'll have to wait to find out....

Angela...I'm thinking this isn't the righteous Dude you were referring to?:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Peter, my thoughts - almost - exactly!

As much as HAL as a very loyal following I found that just in the past two years the line has already tried to introduce so many other products that were popular with other lines in an attempt to attact new cruisers that I wonder just what it is they are trying to be. Sad, considering I used to think of HAL and Celebrity and Cunard along the same level. I rather NOT see HAL sink to NCL freestyle but their new "As you wish" dining seems to suggest a move in the wrong direction.

Cunard - yep, traditionalists indeed. For all those who grew up dreaming of the golden days of transoceanic liners this line represents the closest experience to it today. Sure, the dreams probably would not be so great if we actually were to go back in time but perceptions remain a strong motivator and Cunard sells the experience like no other. Also, having icons like the QE2 certainly help.

Carnival - well, as much as I hate to admit it, I agree that the company is indeed focused. A giant tiger out to claim its territory and it surely knows its market. Carnival as a whole also understand niche markets and hence its buy-out of the industry and all those other lines it bought.

Okay, those are only the three lines I've travelled on to date. However, my read on the rest are close to the statements made. Most disappointing - NCL!

My own thought not covered yet - worse trend ever in cruising? easycruise!!! Sure it will have its fans who feel a barebones transportation system is needed but I cruise for the experience and thus I secretly wish easycruise goes under financially even if that probably won't happen.

Best trend in crusing yet? More choices than ever before. The focused cruise lines (hear this HAL?) will give the variety of us out there choices.

David

Who's tony Sinclair?

Last time I saw anyone named Sinclair on Television, it was that family of dinosaurs! (animated, I think)

Karie,

or something, I'm not sure.

Heck, If you can be a beer Angela, I can be a gin

Karie, AKA Magellan... Or Bomaby Saffire..

Wait! No! I want to be a mixed drink

Karie, AKA

Mojito!

Tony Sinclair, Righteous Dude, Martini Drinker....

http://www.adjab.com/2005/05/03/tony-sinclair-socialite-extraorinaire/

Bramcruiser -- Thank you for your attempt to get this thread back on track. It started out with a very useful book review and some interesting thoughts about the business approaches of the various cruise lines and then degenerated into . . . .

My own opinion on the different business approaches is based on the tv commercials I have seen is that Carnival and RCI seem to be targeting non-cruising vacationers to try cruising, while NCL with its focus on freestyle cruising is trying to get cruisers to switch to its line. I think NCL's approach was disasterous with regard to its NCL American line operating in the Hawaiian Islands with an American crew. Rather than try to tap into the year-round land-based tourism market in Hawaii-which is a very popular destination, NCL did nothing special for NCLA. Its cruise veterans have given very bad reviews to the American-crew service on the NCLA ships, probably due to comparisons to foreign-crewed ships with more experience. So NCL is in the red while Carnival and RCI keep expanding.

Cunard has focused on a limited cruise market--those who want a classic cruise experience. Which I think is a good business move since it has a unique product to offer in terms of its heritage and British roots. I hope it is successful with the Queen Victoria and manages to retain its reputation even with the retirement of the QE2.

Look, we said we're ADHD, what do you want? It's a disease! We can't help it! Like cruise addiction or something. We really DO try to stay on topic, Really! <G>

You may have to back out a level or two to certify you are of age:

http://www.tanqueray.com/en-us/Tony+World/tony+telly.htm

P.S. NCL is trying to capture the whiners who don't want to be regimented, told what to wear or when or where to eat on a vacation. Carnival brought cruising to families, younger (non-retired) people and more minorities and people with less disposable income. Before Carnival your typical cruiser was rich, white and old. Windjammer is, of course, for those who love the sea, not the ambiance. RCCL is family oriented but a bit more for the money than the "fun ships: HAL got the rep of being doddering- Your grandmother's cruise ship. specializing in long Alaska trips with bus tours and senior citizen's groups .They have tried to bring the average age down, and their new marketing does so even more. they have not yet found themselves totally. Celebrity has always meant gourmet, emphasizing their Master Chef association. Princess had the dual personality of the Love Boat, and more upscale cruising. Of course, I am talking strictly on this side of the pond.

Now can I go out and play? ....And get off-topic? <G>

Karie.

who is definitely ADHD

Okay, those are only the three lines I've travelled on to date. However, my read on the rest are close to the statements made.

Good heavens - an on topic post! That will make it about 6.....(a little under 10%...)

Of the lines I have sailed other than Cunard, Princess and RCCL, I preferred RCCL for their hardware (Brilliance vs Golden), - much more spectacular public spaces and easier to find your way around (I think Princess keeps its balconies affordable by keeping its public rooms, in particular dining rooms, small) food was about a wash and better alcohol on Princess - RCCL had some truly vile 'House Champagne' - which would make the Pol-Pot-ophobes run screaming down the gangplank.

In a previous life my work involved marketing, so I still find the different strategies and approaches fascinating. The best ones are the ones that make choices - the weakest those that try to be all things to all men. From a marketing pov Carnival has the best strategy - and Cunard has a good, distinctive 'niche' strategy. Others are not so clear.

Peter

The one thing about Princess that I just can't get past - is that their new ships are so ugly! How does one market a giant shopping trolley? What's with that handle bar at the back of the ship? I realize Princess has a large following and I may or may not enjoy the experience and yes I might even be tempted one day if I found an iteniary I like. However, the ships have moved far away from the days of "Love Boat" to the ugliest on the seas if it wasn't for the giant tatoos on NCL.

Thanks for your read on things Peter. I always sensed one doesn't travel RCCL for the food but rather for the "adventure". I give them credit for knowing that their market is the people who crave excitement so their ships seem to be geared for that market.

As for keeping it on topic. Well, I just saw the thread last night, read the first posting and replied. I only noticed the 9 million off-topic messages thereafter.:)

David

Who's definitely not a "Dude" either!:D

Archived