Port of Miami to FLL

Pamywyner

Has anyone gotten off the Pearl in Miami and gotten to Ft. Laud. airport in time to catch an 11:20 flight?? Found a great price on a couple of non-stop flights that go in and out of FLL but, not sure about catching the 11:20. I know we can now keep our bags and leave the ship early but, wondered if anyone has done this and how did it go? Were you too rushed? (We are going Nov.2nd-11th.) Also, how much were the taxi/shuttle rides to and from FLL to the pier? Thanks in advance!

It seems alot of people are trying to catch early flights and I'm not sure its such a good idea. I have never sailed into Miami, so I can't answer you specifically, but let me inform you of a couple of things that have been reported lately:

1.) The time that the itinerary says you will dock in Miami is not the time you will be able to get off the ship. It is usually between 60-90 minutes after docking before customs officials will allow anyone to disembark. (longer if non US citizens don't report when called.)

2.) Express Disembarkation (carrying your own bags) has become extremely popular and too many people are actually opting for that method. As a result, the stairways and corridors are becoming overly crowded, they are shutting off the elevators to alliviate the crowd and the lines to get off are actually taking much longer.

3.) The airports now are suggesting arriving at least 2 hours before your flight due to back ups a security stations.

An 11:20 flight means airport arrival between 9:20 and 9:50. If I look at your itinerary correctly, the arrivall time is 7:00 a.m. which means 8:00-8:30 before anyone will be allowed off. If you are lucky, you could be on the street by 8:45. Doable, but might be pushing it.

You might be cutting it close and have to rush. It is always advised to get a flight out after 12 p.m. I would try to get the next available flight just to be sure you do not miss the plane taking off. If you are leaving on a weekday, the traffic on I 95 is a mess in the mornings due to rush hour traffic.

Thank you very much for your replies. Last year we had an 11:00 flight out of MIA and we got to there with time to spare but, we've never had to get to FLL from the port. We had no crowds trying to get off with us. Must be getting popular -to keep bags with you over night. Good points about the crowds in the halls, etc... I think I'll opt for a later time.

Archived