suggestions for a progreso beach day??

bkinla

carnival advertises shore excursions at corona beach and the reef yucatan resort....have read online not to book through the ship......if this is the case....when we get off will there be tour operators, etc at the dock to sell us passes for the resort? is reef yucatan all inclusive?

there will be 16 in our group...ages 9 yrs to 48 yrs old.....need a place to keep everybody busy and happy!!!! all but 4 are first time cruisers.......

thanks for any advice:cool:

If you just want a beach day, then the Progreso beach is only a three block walk from where the courtesy bus, from the ship, will drop you. Keep in mind the Yucatan State is on the gulf, not the sparkling clear water of the Caribbean. The restaurants accross the Malecon will serve your drinks or lunch, on the beach. Food is good and the fish is soooooo fresh. The beach is long and wide.

thanks for the info...how about a few more questions???? if you don't mind that is,,,,,,

read the corona beach is crowded and not as clean as reef yucatan...also the reef yucatan has all inclusive and more activities....if that is the case reef yucatan would be better for a group of all ages......but,, i haven't seen either place..........

thanks again.

thanks for the info...how about a few more questions???? if you don't mind that is,,,,,,

read the corona beach is crowded and not as clean as reef yucatan...also the reef yucatan has all inclusive and more activities....if that is the case reef yucatan would be better for a group of all ages......but,, i haven't seen either place..........

thanks again.

Hey bkinla,

I left you a note on the Cozumel board and now I find you here. You cruise these boards as much as I do. ;)

We have done Progreso 3 times and find something different each trip. Last stop we went to Reef Yucatan and played in their huge pool. This place is pretty nice We strolled on the beach but the wind always blows here, so instead of floundering around in the Gulf we opted to hit the pool.

There is a small play ground for the kiddies, lots of toys. For the grownups there is an open bar next to the pool and a volley ball court is on the beach. If you want to go to the flamingo sanctuary or the Xcambo ruins, a short tour is included in you trip.

We booked thru Autoprogreso at the bus dropoff in town. If you are in doubt about this trip you can walk to Corona Beach from the bus dropoff and scope it out. Then if you want to go to the resort you can go back to the bus stop and book your tour. There will be plenty of time to look things over before the bus leaves for RF.

If I remember correctly it ran $30 or $35 pp and worth every penny.

greeting clackey!!!

thank you so much for the suggestions.......have never been to progreso and those i know who have been couldn't help much.......

have never been on the computer as much as i have been this week.....feel like the enjoyment of our group (16 in all) is resting on my shoulders and i am anxiously researching ship info, port info, etc.......only 4 of the group have cruised before....this trip was at my urging and planning so you know how that goes....if great....if not i will certainly hear about it!!!! lol

thanks again bkinla

bkinla,

On our first trip I didn't know what to expect in this port so we took our 2nd and last ship tour to the Dzibalchaltun Ruins. It was a good tour and very interesting, but we could have taken a less crowded tour through an independant tour company for about 30 % off. Now, 4 cruises later, we book all of our tours independantly or simply take a taxi after researching the sites on these boards and on Google.

Pay close attention to hdawson. H knows of what he speaks having spent several vacations in the area. You might want to check out his pictures. Some of the sites in Merida are fantastic.

some cruisers i know went to the reef yucatan resort in progreso back in april- they said it was a 30 to 40 minute bus/van ride from the dock-they spent the day there and enjoyed it a lot....

they saw the corona beach break area, it didn't interest them.....it is within walking distance and not all inclusive....

hope this helps

we have decided to go to the reef yucatan resort for the day we are there

bk

This is not the same Reef Resort that you go to in Cozumel (next to Paradise Beach), is it? The description is identical. If so, how far is it from the pier in Progreso?

Thanks,

Bob

As far as I know, they are not related. I've seen reviews of the Reef Resort in Coz, but haven't been there yet.;) Maybe in December.

• 4 weeks later...

We did the Corona Beach Break a few years ago when we were on the Conquest and were VERY disappointed. This was one of the worst excursions that we have booked through Carnival. It was on a beach, but you couldn't really swim in the murky water. After many "cervezas" (all the little Corona beer bottles you can stand -or- shots of tequila) a few of us rode the banana boat. The operators seem to time how long it takes you to fall off. My daughter still remembers the wedgie she got when I pulled her up by her swimsuit to keep her from drowning (she was 11). I agree that the town surrounding this was more like "Mexico" in that it hasn't been "touristed" up yet. I would try the other beach break or another excursion, or perhaps shopping this time. Questions? I'll answer to the best of my memory, haha.

Sol y mar

• 5 years later...

Is the best option still to take the bus in town and book with Auto Progreso? We are looking to go straight to the Reef all inclusive.

Will the bus pick us back up and bring us back to the boat?

One more question?:) Can we shop while we are there. Does the bus drop you off anywhere to shop during the tour?

Thank you so much for your help!!

-First time cruiser :confused:

Book it with AutoProgreso when you get there. You'll get off the ship, walk through a shopping area then get on a bus. The bus will take you off the pier and into Progreso. Before you get off the bus in Progreso, the AP representative will give a little sales pitch on their excursions. When you get off the bus, hook up with one of their representatives and book your excursion then. I suggest getting off the ship between 9 - 9:30 so you can do a little shopping before the excursion. When it is over, they will take you directly back to the ship. AP now goes to the Technotel Hotel for their beach excursion, there is new review, with pictures, of this resort here right now.

Archived