Infinite Alaska Aug 26th from Vancouver

Forty More

We're new to cruising and this one is celebrating our 40th anniversary. Two other couples are joining us and we have 2 CC rooms & a Celebrity suite on the Vista deck. We have 4 excursions booked...Misty Fjords Boat & Floatplane Wilderness Adventure in Ketchikan.....Whale Watching & Wildlife Cruise, and 4 Glacier Helicopter Adventure in Juneau....and Remote Bush Exploration & Brown Bear Search in Icy Strait.

We have plenty of info on what clothes to take thanks to all the great posts on this site.

Any comments and suggestions on the rooms? On the excursions?

What did you enjoy doing on the Infinite? What did you spend your days/nights doing on the ship?

Is it difficult to book the specialty restaurant? (for our anniversary)

Also got a Canon Rebel XTi and still trying to figure out how to use it. I'm taking 2 lens...18-55 (standard) and 70-300 (not IS). Also taking a 4MP Sony point & shoot as backup. Suggestions on the best lens for wildlife photos?

Trying to decide if I need new binoculars. I have an old (very) 7x35 non waterproof & I'm looking at a Bushnell 10x42 waterproof for about $90. Suggestions on usefulness of binoculars?

We're staying in Vancouver 3 nights (2 days) prior to the cruise. Suggestions on what not to miss there?

Sorry for the long post and I really appreciate any suggestions & comments. Thanks in advance and we look forward to our cruise...!!

We're new to cruising and this one is celebrating our 40th anniversary. Two other couples are joining us and we have 2 CC rooms & a Celebrity suite on the Vista deck. We have 4 excursions booked...Misty Fjords Boat & Floatplane Wilderness Adventure in Ketchikan.....Whale Watching & Wildlife Cruise, and 4 Glacier Helicopter Adventure in Juneau....and Remote Bush Exploration & Brown Bear Search in Icy Strait.

We have plenty of info on what clothes to take thanks to all the great posts on this site.

Any comments and suggestions on the rooms?

Your cabins will be great. You will enjoy being in CC.

On the excursions?

They all sound great. On our thread you will meet a very experienced helicopter instructor who can tell you tons about helicopter tours.

What did you enjoy doing on the Infinite? What did you spend your days/nights doing on the ship?

This will be out fifth time on Infinity. There is much to do. In Alaska of course, the big draw is seeing the natural beauty. Other than that, there are shows, the T-Pool and of course the Martini Bar.

Is it difficult to book the specialty restaurant? (for our anniversary)

If you have sailed with Celebrity before, you can call the Captain's Club before you sail and reserve. If not, you should go directly to the United States restaurant immediately upon boarding. It is on deck three right behind the stairs and they should still be able to accommodate you.

Also got a Canon Rebel XTi and still trying to figure out how to use it. I'm taking 2 lens...18-55 (standard) and 70-300 (not IS). Also taking a 4MP Sony point & shoot as backup. Suggestions on the best lens for wildlife photos?

Trying to decide if I need new binoculars. I have an old (very) 7x35 non waterproof & I'm looking at a Bushnell 10x42 waterproof for about $90. Suggestions on usefulness of binoculars?

Would definitely get the best binocs you can afford.

We're staying in Vancouver 3 nights (2 days) prior to the cruise. Suggestions on what not to miss there?

Come to our cruise thread. A number of us either visit Vancouver often or live nearby. We can give you more info there than I can here. Also check the Vancouver boards in the main area.

Sorry for the long post and I really appreciate any suggestions & comments. Thanks in advance and we look forward to our cruise...!!

Hi Forty More!

Being new to Cruise Critic you first need to know that every cruise has what is called a roll call. That's where those of us who are on a certain cruise get together and meet prior to taking the cruise. We have met some of our best friends on Cruise Critic roll call threads.

We are on the same cruise you are and our Cruise Critic roll call is located at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=470182

I will answer some of your questions above inside the quote. Easier to read the questions that way.

In the meantime, come meet us over on the cruise critic thread. We even have our own website at http://www.koobraey.com/Infinity/

Congratulations, Forty More (does your nick mean that you are looking forward to celebrating your 80th Anniversary!?!)

That Dr. Koob is quick! He has answered your questions AND put you in touch with the Roll Call and webpage for this cruise. We are also on the same sailing and have found the people in our Roll Call very friendly and welcoming.

I can't remember if Dr. Koob suggested you sign up for the Celebrity Connections get together? That's where we are hoping to meet the posters face to face!

We just got our travel documnets yesterday and we're really excited now!

Welcome aboard!

Dorothy

We just returned from Infinity Sunday. You are in for a real treat. Try the AquaSpa for lunch. Very nice food selections and WAY less crowded than the buffet. We booked the Specialty restaurant ahead of time as someone else suggested to you already, however, they still had availability throughout the week. If you are set on going though, book right when you get on board. They have tables for taking reservations right outside the entrance to the buffet doors during the first day at lunch. Tell them you are celebrating your anniversary and you will get a surprise after dinner. We were the first to board at 11:00, so it's almost like getting a whole extra day on the ship. Nice to check things out before the crowds start up. Also, take advantage of the presentations by the naturalist, Milos. He was outstanding and really adds to the overall experience. Extremely knowledgeable and made what could be a dry subject fun and very interesting. I'm bummed that I forgot to write kudos to him on my comment card. Milos spends time in the Constellation lounge on a couple of occasions going through narrows and helps to spot wildlife. Very few people took advantage of his talks or his narration times. His times are indicated in the daily program. On the Hubbard glacier day, the top desks were swarming with people. It was a beautiful sunny and warm day. We stayed up top for quite sometime but then retreated to our balcony so that we could actually see something! We were on the starboard side which had probably 4 to 5 times the viewing time of the port side. We went back up as the ship started to pull away from the glacier and had the deck almost to ourselves at that time. I had read ahead of time that it was better to have your room on the port side but I would disagree after our experience - and not only for the Hubbard day. If you have more specific questions, please ask. I'll be writing a review this weekend.

Forgot to add that I spent lots of time with the binoculars. I really haven't used them much previously but used them a ton on the trip. There is a small pair in the room to use but we had brought 2 pair of own so never used the ones in the room.

Thanks to you all for the suggestions they were very helpful.

And yes Auntdot we plan on making it to 80th.....not sure where that cruise will be....yet..

And DrKoob I'm especially looking forward to the Martini Bar..

MaureenK, I'm also looking forward to your review and any suggestions on anything extra to bring for the rooms is appreciated...remember it's our first cruise.

Thanks again and we look forward to the cruise.

I just came back from Infinity. (Hi, Maureenk. I had a great time too.) I was with 15 family members and we stayed at a celebrity suite (#8104, the one in the middle without balcony, right?) and others at CC cabins and a corner family room. CS was great for partying. We threw a surprise bridal shower for one of our family in this room. On a very short notice (in 2-3 hrs), our butler, Peter, brought ice tea, cheese and delicious finger foods. Peter gave us 3 bottles of champagne without charging! The pretty room was perfect for a bridal shower. On the last sea day, my husband (IT guy) downloaded everyone's photos/videos on his laptop and hooked it to the flat TV, and we watched them in the room during 4pm tea time. very nice!

Only minor downside about CS (compared to CC) was because it's got a separate bedroom, I couldn't see the ocean while laying down on the bed. but I loved looking directly down to the ocean while sitting on the floor by the window and we saw a cute seal right below us checking us out. Many dolphins and several whales of course.

I will definitely post my review of Infinity here and on the Reviews section of cruisecritic. The greatest piece of advice I learned, I believe from this board several years ago, is to pack your clothes in several pieces of luggage. For example, if you and your travel partner take 2 bags total, pack 1/2 of each of your things in each bag (i.e. one dress in each bag, your suit in one and your sport coat in the other, 1/2 of your underwear and casual clothes in each bag, etc). Likewise, if you take 3 bags, spread your things across all 3 bags. A cruise is very different from a land vacation. If your luggage is lost or delayed - it's not going to catch up with you. If you have at least a portion of your things, you can do or have laundry done and make out okay through the week. As the say, don't put all your eggs in one basket! Now that we learned this for cruises, we do it for all of our vacations that involve air travel and it does offer some piece of mind.

Archived