Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier??

Specs

We will do our first cruise in Alaska in July and we would like to know if Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier are the same site?

Specs

Ocean Princess (2000)

Dawn Princess (2001)

Golden Princess (2002)

Radiance of the Seas (2003)

Constellation (2004)

Coral Princess Alaska (July 2004)

Adventure of the Seas (2005)

They're not. Glacier Bay boasts many glaciers, Hubbard Glacier is a huge glacier. I won't be in Glacier Bay until 2005, but it's the place to be, so I hear. But, you won't be disappointed with Hubbard Glacier. It's gigantic, and its ice trails for miles are spectacular too. It's a great place to experience glacier calving, and to see what a glacier can do to the landscape.

You won't be disappointed with either one.

Two different areas of the state. If you scroll through some of the recent threads and posts you will find discussion on both. Quite a few cruisers have posted opinion over what they like, or dislike, about both glacier-viewing attractions. Glacier Bay is located in the northern portion of what we refer to as the “panhandle†or “southeastâ€. You didn’t mention what type of cruise you might be taking but if it is one of the “round robin†type, like from Vancouver to Vancouver or Seattle to Seattle, you probably won’t be venturing beyond southeast Alaska therefore won’t be able to see Hubbard. Hubbard Glacier is located at the head of Yakutat and Disenchantment Bays which the ships get to from the Gulf of Alaska, usually on their way to the central part of the state porting at Seward or Whittier. It is my understanding that some cruises, which have destinations at these ports, visit both Hubbard and Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay is part of the National Park System and has been extremely popular over the last decade or so. So much so that the NPS has restricted the number of ships visiting the Bay each season.

glacier bay vs sawyer glacier vs mendenhall glacier????

Can someone please explain the Geography and pros and cons of visiting each?? I feel like I have learned more about alaska in this short time while researching our vacation than I did when I was in school!!! Thanks.

Glacier Bay is my clear preference. I have sailed Tracy arm but with a small boat- excellent tour. Mendenhall glacier- great easy cheap access as well as Exit out of Seward, but neither as impressive as any of the glaciers that are sailed to. On a one way I would also never consider any ship that doesn't sail college fjords. Another excellent sailing day. icon_smile.gif

We are on a southbound out of Seward (Vision) that does not visit Glacier Bay....we do cruise Hubbard Glacier. I noticed an excursion for flightseeing out of Icy Strait Point - any other way or port that we might get to take an excursion to Glacier Bay?

Thanks!

Thank you all for your help. My itinerary inculdes College Fjord and Glacier Bay. I am very excited for I'll be visiting the great places you described in 54 days.

Specs

Ocean Princess (2000)

Dawn Princess (2001)

Golden Princess (2002)

Radiance of the Seas (2003)

Constellation (2004)

Coral Princess Alaska (July 2004)

Adventure of the Seas (2005)

Archived