Punta Sur

nasvhillecruise

We rented a Jeep (2 actually) through Avis online. We paid $66. per vehicle with insurance. We had a manual transmission in both vehicles so if you can't drive that, make sure you request automatic. These jeeps were not in perfect condition. Their standards are not close to ours. We drove to Punta Sur and it was one of the most incredible places that I have ever seen. The eastern side of the island is so beautiful. I would be very upset if I had missed it. I don't know the cost of private tours. Maybe another cc member can help with that.

If you don't mind posting your email address, I can send you pix. I don't regret going to this park at all. I wanted to go to Chankanaab but the weather was bad and we wanted to make it around the island first. I can send pix of Punta Sur and the east side of the island. You will want to go once you see pix!

How many people can you fit in a jeep? The Avis site says 4 and we're traveling with a group of 5. Would it be totally cramped and uncomfortable with 5 people? I'm assuming we'll either have to get 2 jeeps or a larger car...

We probably could have gotten 5 people into the Jeep but...a) I don't think there would be enough seat belts, and b)please check on the laws in Mexico. I read somewhere that they only allow up to 4 or 5 people in a car in Mexico or they will take the car from you and leave you stranded. I don't remember the number of people, but, I would definately check into it before renting for 5. The people who rent the vehicles aren't the people to ask because they just want to rent to you no matter what. I wish I could remember where I saw that. Lots of luck!

When we got to Punta Sur, a storm was moving in. We did not pay the extra $5 to snorkel as it looked like there would be some serious lightening. To my knowledge, the only things there are to do there is to visit the lighthouse (and walk to the top where the view is fabulous), look at a very small ruins, and walk down a walkway to a lagoon that has crocodiles in it. You can do all that for $5 entrance to the park on your own. There are also a couple of stands there with people trying to push jewelry, cigars and other souveniers. There were no crowds there. We were the only ones walking up in the lighthouse- I just remembered- there is also a small museum at the lighthouse which you can walk through. These things took about an hour to do all of them. We were not allowed down the path to the snorkeling area. They give you an armband when you pay at the gate. If you were on your own, you could easily have time to do other things in Cozumel if you went to Punta Sur. Hope this helps!

I also have a question regarding renting a jeep. My husband and I are heading there at the end of sept. on the carvial glory. They have a excursion for 89 per person to take a jeep to the light house the ruin and punta sur for snorkeling. But I think I would much rather pay $66 to rent a jeep and travel the 8 hours we are there going to places we want too. Was it easy to get around. My husband is not the best with directions and that is usually left up to me. It appears that you can rent the snorket gear for $5 at punta sur is this correct? Where did you rent the jeep from and do I need get extra insurance? Any comments anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

I rented our Jeeps from Avis which was right at the port. I rented it online beforehand and got a much better price. The price of $66 included insurance and I, personally, would not rent a vehicle in Mexico without insurance. It was easy to get around but I should have bought a map like someone else on this sight have recommended. We did get slightly lost but it was not too difficult to find our way around the island. We did not snorkel there at Punta Sur. They charge $5 extra to snorkel but I am not sure if that includes gear or whether they even rent gear there or not. Chankanaab park is right up the road from Punta Sur and they rent gear there if Punta Sur does not. Hope this helps!

I also have a question regarding renting a jeep. My husband and I are heading there at the end of sept. on the carvial glory. They have a excursion for 89 per person to take a jeep to the light house the ruin and punta sur for snorkeling. But I think I would much rather pay $66 to rent a jeep and travel the 8 hours we are there going to places we want too. Was it easy to get around. My husband is not the best with directions and that is usually left up to me. It appears that you can rent the snorket gear for $5 at punta sur is this correct? Where did you rent the jeep from and do I need get extra insurance? Any comments anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

We're going on RCI and have booked a tour through them. Ours is the mini-jeep for $90 per person. Now that might sound like a lot, but it includes the museum, the lighthouse tour, crocodiles, ruins, and snorkeling. The map of Cozumel and Punta Sur I have both say it's $35 per person to do all those activities at the park. I figure by the time I paid that and the hassle and expense of renting the jeep, it's a wash. Not sure what the other poster's experience was, i.e. specifically what they got for the $5 versus the tours booked through the ship, but you might want to verify that before you give up on the organized tour.

Also, I have been to Chankanaab and it is a very nice and inexpensive place to spend the afternoon as well -- nice walking paths with replica 'ruins', botanical gardens, and easy shore snorkeling.

It is a flat $5 fee to go to Punta Sur and do all of the activities except for the snorkeling which is an additional $5 - I am not sure if that includes the gear. I do not know the age cut off but I believe kids 10 years and younger are free to enter the park as well. In my party of 7 we got in for $30 USD. With 2 Jeep rentals at $66 each, I spent $162 + $20 in gas for the day verses paying $630 via ship's tour and just getting to go to Punta Sur. It worked out to our advantage to do this on our own. Some people may not like the hassle of renting vehicles on their own, but, we are not rich folks. We also would have never had the same fun touring the entire island and seeing the east end which is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Going to Punta Sur was not a top rated event on my list of things to do on Cozumel. When we started driving by and I saw it, I immediately pulled in because the beauty of it attracted us there. We were ripped off at the gas station when we filled up in Cozumel. In spite of that, I still would not have wanted to miss renting vehicles on our own and seeing the whole island. The memories of this island will be etched in my mind for a lifetime.

Hi

Thanks for all the info. We have decided to rent a vehicle and take the drive. One other quick questions..about parking...do you meter park at some of the locations? I live in West Palm so of course to hit the beach in some spots here you have to pay the meter. I know for the Parks and stuff parking is included in the entrance fee. But like if we were to stop to go shopping what is the parking like? Also have you been to the tequilla farm? One more thing, sorry, we are also going to Costa maya are the ruins close to the city center or are they are far drive? My sister and her husband rented a golf cart there the last time they were there and said they had a blast! Thanks Again!

First, for the beaches, all of the places that I saw like the parks and the beach clubs, parking is right on the premises and there is no charge. As far as parking for shopping, there is a shopping area at the port that you don't even need the car for. There are also small stops along the east side of the island where you just pull up beside them and shop. The Avis people gave us a map which wasn't the best in quality and pointed out where you couldn't park which was places with a yellow or red line, I believe. I never saw much shopping that I wanted to do that was an area that was hard to get to. If you go south first and drive towards Punta Sur and then go all the way back around toward the port, there are the famous restaurants like Margaritaville and Senior Frogs. I think you may have to pay for parking around there. Since we ate at Carlos and Charlies on the south end, we had no need to park on that end of the island. If you didn't make any stops along the way, I think it would take you about 1-1/2 hours around Cozumel. As for Costa Maya, you could not reach the ruins by golf cart if that was your question. There are 2 different ruins at this port that have excursions. There is one called something like Konlich(not exactly right) and Chachabaan (not right spelling either). The Konlich ruins are about a 7 hour excursion. The Chachabaan ruins are 50 minutes from the port. We picked and went to Chachabaan with David and Ivan and felt like it was well worth the visit. I don't think you would want to visit either of these ruins without a tour because there are armed guards all over that make vehicles stop a few times along the way so that they can check the vehicles and people out. Although we had to stop, the tour was not required to leave the vehicle. We did notice that the other vehicles that stopped had to have everyone get out and go through a search. It was scary but not terrifying if that makes sense. It was educational to say the least. After the ruin visit, we got dropped off at Majuhaul and we enjoyed this area. There is also a place in this town to make US phone calls for 30 cents a minute. It was really pretty there and there was lots of shopping, eating places, massage places and also places for renting beach toys, etc. Hope this long winded explanation is what you were looking for.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone taken Carnival s Punta Sur tour. It looks very much like shoretrips but shoretrips seems to also include a ride on a pontoon boat in the lagoon which we would love but their tour is at a bad time for when we will be in port. Ive heard that its a 30.00 taxi ride one way so we didnt want to do it that way.

Archived